Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #37
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Kineguy, he does this during the winters. It is important to note his geographical location. He lives and commutes in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Nor-Cal, just west of Reno, Nevada. Winters get really cold up there. Brian- Bailout doesn't post her much anymore. You might have better luck at cleanmpg.com. There are a lot of threads made by him which would give more back ground to this mod and other things done to his car.

Yes, this is to help get the engine temps up to optimum quickly. The other thing is that it helps aerodynamics a tad.

My question is.....why is everyone so worried about the airflow? There's a fan, which gives off an engine-light if it stops working.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #38
dave mac

Drives: '07 coupe Meteorite Metallic
Yaris Grill Block (Grill Shutter)

When it starts to get cold, I block the upper grill with strips of black electrical tape. You can barely notice that anything is different. Unless you tell someone, they don't even see it. I just cut the strips to the exact length and neatly apply them top to bottom w/a slight overlap. Takes me less than 10 minutes, no tools, no disassembly, and costs pennies. In the Spring I just peel it right off, no harm to the grill or painted surfaces (I make sure it doesn't touch paint when i apply the tape). I live in the Northeast, so it holds up all winter, and yes I drive on the highway. I do this every year. If it's really cold I can also easily block the lower grill too, or just parts of it. See pix:
Attached Images
File Type: gif yaris grill copy 11-9-17 lo.gif (306.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: gif yaris grill copy1 11-9-17 lo.gif (299.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #39
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
We did this twenty years ago when we were driving cars made in 1975 and we were too lazy to replace the thermostat.
If this really works then it is a big shame for Toyota that it produces the same crappy cars as the Eastern Europe did in 1975.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #40
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Grill block upper lower winter warmup radiator

I might be inclined to first block the lower grill and little fake grillettes on each side of it on this 07 hatch...for one thing, it is a sticks trap. Note, on the hatchback that all three lower grills can almost be cleanly covered with a single flat ribbon shape.
(Yeah, I know you can put fog or driving lights there...note how much bigger these fake grills have gotten on everything as front end styling has become outlandish in the last decade.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote