Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
misformartin

Drives: xd
Camber Plates (Gauging Interest)

Hello all im currently working with a company to have rear camber shims made. Im looking to see the interest in -3 camber plates for the rear hub.. These will be just like the otg's for scion xa / xb... Price point is at about 190 for the set.. these will be as toe corrected as possible....
misformartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm not sure many people would want -3. Further, adjustable ones are available for 27 bucks (from my store), so the $190 price tag would be prohibitive.

I'm not telling you not to do it, I love to see more aftermarket products for our cars -- just helping you gauge interest as requested.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
misformartin

Even if you get a full -3 and the product is made out of cnc machined steel? i see the ones offered on you website lood to be of plastic? thisis what -3 looks like on an xb
Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Not trying to steal anyone's thunder or anything, but for those who want some useful information...

You don't need 3 degrees of negative camber on the back of a Yaris.

It's a front wheel drive car. We spend our life trying to combat the UNDERSTEER that is inherent in a FWD platform. As far as alignment goes, this means more negative camber in the front of the car to optimize the front tire's contact patch in a turn and give it more grip. If anything, in the rear, we want LESS grip. Putting 3 degrees of camber on the back of FWD car, especially when coupled with far less camber in the front (as in the photo above) is going to make the rear grip more than the front in a turn and make the understeer FAR WORSE than even a bone stock suspension with a factory alignment.

It seems to me that someone, somewhere has heard that "negative camber is good for handling" without having any concept of why... when... or how much.

The only FWD car that needs 3 degrees of rear camber is one that has 5 degrees of front camber. For a street driven Yaris, IF it sees a lot of track or autocross time, 2.5-3 degrees would be about the maximum required for the FRONT of the car, and at least a degree less in the rear.

FWIW, I've pulled .99 G's with my Yaris on street tires with exactly the factory-supplied --0.9 degrees of rear camber. (and about -2.8 degrees in the front)

Disregard every word I've said above and don't waste your time flaming if you just think that 3 degrees of negative camber looks cool and you must have it for that reason.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Disregard every word I've said above and don't waste your time flaming if you just think that 3 degrees of negative camber looks cool and you must have it for that reason.
Pretty sure that's the point, Loren. It's a look a lot of the xB guys go for; some of my friends have their suspension set up like that.

Quote:
Even if you get a full -3 and the product is made out of cnc machined steel?
yes. Hey, you wanted feedback!
Maybe others will flip over this idea, I can't say!

If you can make stuff CNC, I can think of lots of other stuff to make for the Yaris that people have expressed interest in.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
misformartin

well pretty much... it is gonna be for looks... and to fit more aggresive wheels.. pretty much just to get that look
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
3 Degrees negative camber in the rear looks ghetto!
I'll pass on this one.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Too much inside rear tyre wear. I've seen heaps of cars on the road with independant rear suspension setups which have been lowered with the resultant over the top negative camber.

I usually say to myself that they'd forgotten to get the camber kits to address the camber issue.

One guy I saw at the tyre place where I got my tyres had a lexus is200 lowered to the max with inside tyre wear to the point where you could see the layers of steel belt.

He tried to blame the tyre fitting place.... lol.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
misformartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benggolf2 View Post
3 Degrees negative camber in the rear looks ghetto!
I'll pass on this one.

Well you have to have the right wheels and suspension set up to pull it off... only looks ghetto when your wheels are sunken in ... but if your wheels are super flush with the camber it looks straight sex.....

and camber alone will not eat your tires to bad... i run -4 daily 60+ miles a day and my tires have lasted me a 7 months... and still not showing any abnormal wear indication... just keep them rotated and you will be aight... when a lowered car with independent rear is lowered the tires being eaten up super fast is usually the cause of bad toe+camber= owned tires....
Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i plan on keeping my tires for a while. :) i ran -2 on my other car for a while and it sucked on tires bad. theres no way you get 7 months from -4 degrees and daily driving
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
misformartin

like i said the scion scene has been running camber plates for along times...
if you burned your tires on -2 you probably had pretty bad toe... well its actually -3.72 http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/s...er+wear&page=2 check out that link many of them are running -5 - -7 and are still getting 15 k miles out of their tires... hmm...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
misformartin

its all in the toe... harder compound tires last longer when you cambering... right now my xb is at -4 in the rear and -2 in the front and like i said ive hade them for a cool minute
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
i guess it's a decent mod for looks...if that's what people are going for. for me, i'm excited to install Garm's front adjustable camber bolts to get further prepared for Auto-X.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
why not just offer the 13mm hub spacers (with no neg camber)....

there was someone that was making them a while ago, but they are long gone
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
I'm assuming the grey xB is about -3 degrees and the black one is about a -5 degrees? or -7?? Black ones a bit too extreme. Grey one has a really clean look.

Not a lot of Yaris owners are into the VIP look. I think a -2 degree camber plate with toe correction would sell. Stack it with a 10-15MM hub spacer and the stance in the rear would look pretty good. -3 degree plates would be a nice option.

SPC rear hub shims can also get you the camber and toe correction for alot less. Only thing is that its made of plastic but I haven't had any problems with it on my Yaris. But a metal one would be nice, lol.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I think you'd sell a lot more of these shims if they were either

- straightforward hub spacers
- "just" -1 degree negative camber
- toe angle options

If you could work out how to alter this by stacking the spacers to achieve different camber and toe angles you're on to something.

A -3 degree rear negative camber seems to me like it'd make the car less forgiving because it'd probably have corner entry oversteer quickly transitioning to mid corner entry understeer.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote