Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #127
TURBOYarisDreem

Drives: 3rd Gen. Yaris
4E-FTE Yaris

Well that makes a lot of sense, and I know that from a tech point of view it probably wouldŽnt be the best choice (even thought the Yaris is what superceded the Starlet, which is part of the reason why IŽm exploring this) however the reasoning behind the question is that I have what seems to be a 4E-FTE out of a later model Glanza V, complete engine, accesories, 5 spd. MT and 3 plug ECU MT. The intention is/was to install it into a 90 EL31 Hatchback with a tired oil 3E carb engine but considering the 4E engine and the 90 chassis and how difficult the parts are to get sometimes I began considering finding a 98 tercel fixer upper, but its kinda the same deal as the EL 31, so I figured if it would be possible to get into a newer model yaris or go with the tercel.
TURBOYarisDreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #128
TURBOYarisDreem

Forgot to thank ilikerice for the reply and input. Always appreciate an experts opinion.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #129
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
OH yea, no problem.. I figured you had that motor sitting around. Looked at your yaris and then at the motor and a light bulb went off..

I have a 4age motor sitting in my garage right now. I have nothing to put it in but after seeing Etimago (misspelled prob) 4age swap on his yaris.. I think about it sometimes.. but then I dissmiss that thought. I would rather do a 2ZR swap and boost that instead. moar torque!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #130
TURBOYarisDreem

$E-FTE Yaris

But that leaves your 4age collecting more dust. Putting a side the high probability that all the electronics would probably be an unresolvable headache I figured since the yaris is what came after the starlet/tercel it wouldŽnt vary that much as far engine bay space is concerned. Even if mounts were to be relocated, IŽm not quite sure if there would be enough space in the yaris engine bay to accomodate the 4E and having the axles line up properly. So what are going to do with the 4age?

Rick
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #131
ilikerice

Came out of my friends Mr2. Swapped his for a JDM 4ag-ze with LSD. Since I helped him do the swap he gave me his old stuff. It needs a rebuild really bad. When it ran, it created smoke clouds like jets create in the sky. I will rebuild eventually. Still gotta get this d16a6 back in a Crx I'm waiting for. Then a buddy has a miata engine that started knocking. Once those are out of the way I will start the 4ag rebuild unless I sell it dirt cheap.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #132
TURBOYarisDreem

Yeah, gave selling it dirt cheap a thought for a short while, but rather than doing that, IŽd rather use it and put it in the old EL31. At least itŽll be a fun to drive car, which was more my original intention. Surely as you mentioned before, If one was after the most efficient, powerful, engine at the most convenient, economical price there are many other ways of achieving that without the 4E, but seeing as to what you already caught on to of having the engine I thought I explore other options prior to installing in the EL31. I was checking out this 2013 Yaris 5 door today and there may be enough room in the engine bay, but the whole set up looks so dif that I think I may be better of sticking to the original intention of the engine. I recall you saying in a previous message that it was too much work for such little power gain, but do you think its doable?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #133
cnister1

Drives: n/a
yaris engine swapped into a old skool KP61 possible?

Hello guys!

I don't own a yaris buuuuut I'm interested in trying to swap the Yaris engine into my KP61 starlet. I know I know that the most popular swaps are 4ag or 13b rotary but I kinda wanted to stay as close as possible to it's 1.3L roots! And so the yaris is what I have in mind..

My questions are many but here's a few!

1. What would I have to modify on the engine to make it from fwd to rwd?

2. Anyone know of a rwd transmission that would be a straight bolt-on?

3. Even better has anyone performed this on any other car from fwd to rwd?

My Yaris gurus! I seek your knowledge and guidance! The Yaris engine would be an awesome upgrade if you consider that the original 4K-C engine only made:

The 1981 and 1982 California-spec 4K-C produced 58 hp (43 kW) at 5200 RPM and 67 lb·ft (90 Nm) at 3600 RPM.
cnister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #134
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
You would need something like this, and even then, there's no way of knowing if/how it will fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-SUCCE...aebe32&vxp=mtr
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #135
cnister1

Drives: n/a
That won't work at all! The starlet is a RWD configuration so I can't use that trans. The issue I can't find an answer to is finding a intake take faces the opposite way so that when the engine is in the rwd position the intake will face towards the front instead of the firewall. I will probably have to make a adapter plate for the transmission..

I need to research more before I commit to this swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
You would need something like this, and even then, there's no way of knowing if/how it will fit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-SUCCE...aebe32&vxp=mtr
cnister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #136
ilikerice

If you are going to converted your car to rwd and doing a lot of fabricating to get mounts done. A custom intake manifold is the least of your problems.

Just take the existing intake. Cut the flanges off and build a box with runners going to the flanges. Make a hole with a pipe coming from the front and slap one of those custom cai piping and your done.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #137
monchito18

Drives: Yaris sedan
Send a message via MSN to monchito18
2gr Confirmed.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #138
ilikerice

^^^ not sure about this post?... Not sure what your saying here...

Also, that 2gr image isn't showing.. only see the sedan side profile picture..

On another note, this is about a month old now, but a guy from PR on a MicroImageOnline.com thread was able to swap a xD 2ZR in a yaris with minimal wiring fab only. You just need a xD donor car for the harness, ecu and motor of course.

Its alot of posts you gotta go thru but its pretty much a good DIY project and still running strong apparently.

Here is the tread,
http://microimageonline.com/forums/s...-TS-conversion
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #139
omarnas
I've made a post!

Drives: corolla 2005 2nz engine
Hi
I have 2nz installed in my car and I would like to upgrade it to 1nz.
can these 2 engine be swaped with out the headache of electrical wiring??
omarnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #140
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yes the two motors are the physically the same. Though I'm not sure anyone has run a 1NZ on a 2NZ ECU before.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:06 AM   #141
konnayi

Drives: RX-7
Engine is the most important part of a machine.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #142
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Here is a great way to give a swap a try and it is a pretty sweet price to start:

JDM 4EFTE

Less than a grand gets you a boosted motor with great internals and potential!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #143
ilikerice

That wouldnt be a direct bolt up as far as motor mounts though, correct? I am not familar with the tercel and scartet chasis and motor setups.

but for 130ish bhp, don't know if it would be worth it if you still had to fab up parts and wiring....

Personally would rather do the xD 2zr swap..
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #144
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
For the same power and way better fuel economy, the 2ZR is the far better option.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote