Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
zemdog
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2
AC Compressor Pulley

Greetings,

I have a noisy pulley on my 2007 Yaris Hatchback and was told I need to replace my AC Compressor and all that. Another shop made it seem like they would only fix the pulley. Is it possible/practical to replace just the pulley if the AC system is working fine?

Thanks
zemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemdog View Post
Greetings,

I have a noisy pulley on my 2007 Yaris Hatchback and was told I need to replace my AC Compressor and all that. Another shop made it seem like they would only fix the pulley. Is it possible/practical to replace just the pulley if the AC system is working fine?

Thanks
I expect that it is possible to replace just the pulley. To be honest, I haven't looked at my A/C system closely enough to know if there would be room to attach a puller. I would be surprised if the job could not be done with the compressor on the car. That would be easiest as there would be no need to have to recharge the system.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS
2008 Yaris 5 Door Hatch
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
dogsridewith
 
Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USAnotCA
Posts: 395
What is noisy? The A/C pulley? Or the A/C clutch?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,721
Not an easy job to pull the pulley off. This is what the end of our compressor looks like. There are several threads on here which question how to go about trying to get that little buried nut out of there. Space within to work is very confining.




Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________

Last edited by WeeYari; 11-30-2017 at 11:21 AM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Vios M/T, 05 4wd Vibe
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 1,806
as with what WeeYari stated, I haven't heard of anyone successfully removing just the pulley.

Most tend to just go with an ebay reman'd compressor which are typically around $100. I haven't heard any of the ebay unit blowing up and I currently installed one when I did my engine swap and have had no a/c issues.
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
zemdog
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2
Thanks for the info y'all!
zemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Not an easy job to pull the pulley off. This is what the end of our compressor looks like. There are several threads on here which question how to go about trying to get that little buried nut out of there. Space within to work is very confining.




Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Wow, that does look tight. You'd almost need a thin-walled socket. And, then would it withstand the rigor of removing a rusted in bolt. It does sound like a reman compressor would be a better option if one had to replace the pulley.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS
2008 Yaris 5 Door Hatch
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
dogsridewith
 
Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USAnotCA
Posts: 395
Belts can squeal. How can a pulley be noisy?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Belts can squeal. How can a pulley be noisy?
It's a clutch pulley. They can definitely make a lot of noise when they are failing. It was fairly common practice to replace these on the Dodge minivans.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS
2008 Yaris 5 Door Hatch
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
You'd almost need a thin-walled socket.
9mm 1/4" drive fits. I suspect you need some type of spanner to hold the pulley assembly stationary while working the socket.

When I talk about working within confines, I'm referring to attempting pulley removal with the compressor still mounted. It should also be noted that the clutch is internal. That outer disk on the pulley that looks like a clutch is not.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
9mm 1/4" drive fits. I suspect you need some type of spanner to hold the pulley assembly stationary while working the socket.

When I talk about working within confines, I'm referring to attempting pulley removal with the compressor still mounted. It should also be noted that the clutch is internal. That outer disk on the pulley that looks like a clutch is not.
Ah, I see. The pulley is solid then. I stand suitably corrected. Much to learn about these fine autos. Thanks.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS
2008 Yaris 5 Door Hatch
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.