Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
choppa

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
2007 Yaris: looks like I only have a "valet" key. Options?

New user. Read a few threads on the forum, grabbed the technical manuals (read through the electrical one for the ECU). Still not 100% sure on what to do. Here's my situation.

Purchased a 2007 Yaris, excellent condition, from the other side of the country (I'm in Australia). Owner was a Californian here for work; he's now returned to the US - nice guy, got a great deal on the car.

Problem I ran into however (and I didn't realise this at the time when I bought it) was that the only key supplied to me was the dreaded grey valet key. It can start the car, open/close all the locks (Yaris 3dr hatchback, so drivers side, passenger's side, and boot locks). However, from all the reading, I'm under the impression that I'm stuffed trying to get another key.

I went to a Toyota dealership and they flat out told me when I showed them the grey key that I'm going to have to spend $1,800 AUD to get a new ECU + keys... that's just crazy money!

Does anyone know if there's a way I can program the transponder to accept a new key (say a nice cheap Dealextreme Toyota 4C key, after its cut) to work as well?

I was hoping there'd be a way to force the system into programming mode via the OBD2 port (not that I have any OBD tools yet, but am considering buying the Bluetooth EM327 OBD2 device from Dealextreme).

Anyone have any suggestions? Highly appreciated, as I would like a second set of keys (and it'd be great if I could buy some after market remote control to get the key-less entry working too).

For the record, the car has an immobiliser and I'm pretty sure it has key-less entry too, however the previous owner stated he didn't have / couldn't find any of those keys.
choppa is offline   Reply With Quote