Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Drummer829

Drives: future prius
car is having trouble turning on

ok, so when the car is cold, when i turn the ignition to start the car, it almost sounds like the battery is dead (but its not). it gives a clicking sound when turning the key. after the 3rd or 4th time trying to turn it on, the car starts to vibrate and sluggishly turns on. It idles a little rough for the first few seconds and then runs like normal. After it is warm, I turned it off, and then turned it back on and it started perfectly. It still drives fine, it is just when it is cold and that initial turn of the key.

Oil was just changed and I alternate cars, so sometimes the car sits in the garage for 2-3 days before driven again. However, before the oil change, the car would sit for the same amount of time (maybe longer) and turn on without a problem

My guess is the spark plugs, but any help would be great as this is starting to worry me.
Drummer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The fact that it starts fine once warm would lead me to think that maybe too heavy of an oil was put in during the last oil change. When it has trouble starting, does it sound like the engine is turning over slowly, or with the clicking that you mentioned does it not turn over at all initially?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Did your Yaris come with the cold weather starter? I think it's a 1.6kw and the lower one is something like a .8kw. If you've got a .8kw and did get too thick of oil? I could see that may be a problem.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Drummer829

Drives: future prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Did your Yaris come with the cold weather starter? I think it's a 1.6kw and the lower one is something like a .8kw. If you've got a .8kw and did get too thick of oil? I could see that may be a problem.
The clicking a are very fast. I'm changing out the battery today. My uncle who works for Toyota told me the fast clickings could be the battery is beginning to go out. Now the car just continues to do fast clicks and doesn't turn on at all
Drummer829 is offline   Reply With Quote