Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
yoshhash

Drives: 2006 yaris
airbag light won't turn off- $572 for a cable sounds kinda steep, no?

I have an airbag indicator light that won't turn off. Similar to this:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32554

My Toyota dealership service dept describes the cause as this: B18010 Stored- open squib circuit

they prescribe this correction: require replacement of spiral cable, retail cost $571.76 + tax. I didn't get an estimate for labour cost, but I imagine it's also steep, it's housed within the steering column.

I find this extraordinarily expensive for a cable. Even if I bit the bullet and got it done, how do I know it won't require replacing 6 months from now?

They tell me it could affect the performance. Being a safety issue, I know better than to cheap out on it, but my bullshit meter is going off loudly.

Any words of advice? Any thoughts on the idea of finding a part from a wrecker and doing it myself?
yoshhash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The spiral cable (or clockspring) is a plastic chunk under the steering wheel with a flat cable within it. It allows the steering wheel to rotate with damaging the wires (usually). Replacing it is pretty easy (here's a link to a video I created on the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWSz...gpsDA&index=17).

The spiral cable connects the airbag, horn, and cruise control stalk (if so equipped) to the rest of the car. With the error that you are seeing, the airbag connection is the problem, which means that it won't deploy if you crash.

You can find used ones on ebay or from a junk yard for $100 to $200. They are tricky disassemble without messing them up, but in some cases they can even be repaired. I would not call this a common problem at all, but a few people on here have had them fail.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
yoshhash

Drives: 2006 yaris
thank you

you are awesome. I have subscribed to your youtube channel.
yoshhash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag, cable, light, ripoff, yaris