Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Wrong Again - Do you need me to go through the SM spec line by line to show you where it is WORSE than SG? N.A. API oil is inadequate except in the most MILD driving conditions eg: moderate ambient climate, complete warm up, low rpm operation.
The thousands of UOA's (used oil analysis) for SM rated oil call you a liar ;-)
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
If you take the worse SM rated oil and use it in your Yaris, the engine will last just as long as if you used the most expensive special brand also at SM rating.
I fear that Pennzoil, Castrol, QS, Mobil, etc...just called you a liar. They'll claim that their synthetic SM will out-perform their conventional SM oils, yes?

And I hope that you're not pretending that UOA's for all brands come back with the same results

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #21
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
This is all making my head spin!
I've just been buying the "package deal" synth from PeP Boys when they have those great deals. It's the 5qts. + a filter for $25 or so. I have the Pennzoil synth and am running the Castrol synth right now.
I don't worship any special brand or "color" oil, I just look for the best deal on a name brand product.
I'll guess SM is the rating on the current oils? SM is what Toyota wants then?

Sometimes these threads can make some owners (like me!) nervous about something they just poured into their cars...
Coconut oil????
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #22
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
you're fine , I do the same thing . That's why I use the PLATINUM , SHELL synthetic , and plan to use the QUAKER STATE synthetic due to low costs and their stellar Used Oil Analysises at www.bobistheoilguy.com . Yes to the SM oil which is newer rating that's above the SL rating that's printed on your oil cap ( SL 5w-30 ENERGY SAVING ) . The SYNTEC is a fine oil as well . A neighbor used it in his 2000 HONDA Civic starting at 10,000 miles until 240,000 at 10,000 mile oil change intervals ( mostly highway miles ) , he recently traded it in for a C.R.V. . So take a deep breath and relax .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #23
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
you're fine , I do the same thing . That's why I use the PLATINUM , SHELL synthetic , and plan to use the QUAKER STATE synthetic due to low costs and their stellar Used Oil Analysises at www.bobistheoilguy.com . Yes to the SM oil which is newer rating that's above the SL rating that's printed on your oil cap ( SL 5w-30 ENERGY SAVING ) . The SYNTEC is a fine oil as well . A neighbor used it in his 2000 HONDA Civic starting at 10,000 miles until 240,000 at 10,000 mile oil change intervals ( mostly highway miles ) , he recently traded it in for a C.R.V. . So take a deep breath and relax .

BTW, I'm now using only the OEM Thai filters, bought me a case of 10 @$38 shipped. Engine sounds fine....
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Ace

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post
Q synthetic motor oil is manufactured by SOPUS (Shell Oil Products U.S.).
To me it is more like the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
That's why I use the PLATINUM , SHELL synthetic , and plan to use the QUAKER STATE synthetic due to low costs.
Pennzoil Platinum, Shell and Quaker State synthetic are all from the same “barrel”. The price different is because of marketing.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Ive got QS Horse Power in mine right now. and the stp filter being blue to match my car <3 and well... ive keep u updated?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #26
gid

Thumbs up +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post

BTW, I'm now using only the OEM Thai filters, bought me a case of 10 @$38 shipped. Engine sounds fine....
we too use the TOYOTA ( Denso ) oil filters that can bought from certain TOYO parts departments for $3.50 each when on sale . Last time they gave us crush washers for free ( usually $1 ) with each 90915-YZZF2 oil filter . I think the totol cost for 8 was less than $30 , including tax and washers . Makes for a cheap synthetic oil change . You do it < $20 , dealer > $40 . Plus less stress from the worry of a screwup at the dealer . So , it pays to be a tight .
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #27
gid

please do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
Ive got QS Horse Power in mine right now. and the stp filter being blue to match my car <3 and well... ive keep u updated?
Thanks