Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Zee518

Drives: 2008 Liftback White
A Question About Cruise Control

I've seen/read a lot of threads about the DIY Cruise Control

Seem like the factory method is the best way to go.

But, I have shined a light on my dash and saw no cruise control indicators.

Does this mean either:

1. Cruise Control is not possible on my vehicle
2. I will have to buy an aftermarket kit example Rostra

Thanks,

Zee
Zee518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I have a 2008 liftback like yours. I put cruse on it recently. I have no indicator that the cruise is on but it was very reasonable to put on the car.

there is a user here (CTScott) that sells all the stuff you need to do it with and has a killer DIY for it. it is all factory stuff.

you may want to send him a PM about it.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Thanks Beef. Prior to 09 there was not an indicator on the cluster for any liftbacks. You can still install the factory stalk, but if you want an indicator you would need to use the cruise control indicator module that I created to interface with the OEM stalk. My soup to nuts DIY shows all the details of the installation, including the module. There is enough space to install the indicator in the cluster, and I now ship the module with a cover over the LED with the cruise icon, so it looks like it belongs there.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33750
Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
jonest

Drives: 2007 yaris
Yaris Cruise

CTScott,
My fiance and I are looking at purchasing a 2007 yaris sedan, for a commuter vehicle for her to drive to school, and have spent the last two days reading about the DIY cruise control. It is a canadian car and would be compatible with cruise. The current owner said at one time he did have cruise installed on the car, but he received a letter stating that the cruise he had put on could have some interference with radio and then it was removed. My assumption is that he had the rostra set-up. I would not be going with that set-up myself. Would i be able to order the OEM set-up through yourself, and once it's all set up, do i need to be concerned about anything (connections) shorting out? I'm not well mechanically inclined myself, and have an uncle doing the work. My other questions is have you had any problems with the cruise kicking in and out? Would the the cruise work for thousands of miles? I would appreciate any help you could offer.
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonest View Post
CTScott,
My fiance and I are looking at purchasing a 2007 yaris sedan, for a commuter vehicle for her to drive to school, and have spent the last two days reading about the DIY cruise control. It is a canadian car and would be compatible with cruise. The current owner said at one time he did have cruise installed on the car, but he received a letter stating that the cruise he had put on could have some interference with radio and then it was removed. My assumption is that he had the rostra set-up. I would not be going with that set-up myself. Would i be able to order the OEM set-up through yourself, and once it's all set up, do i need to be concerned about anything (connections) shorting out? I'm not well mechanically inclined myself, and have an uncle doing the work. My other questions is have you had any problems with the cruise kicking in and out? Would the the cruise work for thousands of miles? I would appreciate any help you could offer.

The car had the dealer installed aftermarket Rostra cruise control system, which was recalled in Canada. Even though the cars are pre-setup for OEM cruise, Toyota did not install it after the cars left the factory because of the lack of an indicator on 06 to 08 Yaris. If you install it per my DIY, with the OEM pins and parts, you will not have to worry about anything shorting out, or about it kicking out.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
|Grumblepa

Drives: 2008 Yaris
|Grumblepa
ECM P/N 89661-52B50
Any chance to fit a Rostra 250 1731 Cruise Control Kit onto this Australian 2008 Yaris?
|Grumblepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Grumblepa View Post
|Grumblepa
ECM P/N 89661-52B50
Any chance to fit a Rostra 250 1731 Cruise Control Kit onto this Australian 2008 Yaris?
No. That Rostra kit is actually just the OEM cruise control stalk, so it will only work on US/Canada Yaris. I believe that the original Rostra kit will work on Yaris from areas that don't have the OEM CC built into the ECM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
|Grumblepa

This is the point I am presently at:

I have installed the stalk and clutch switch, done some of the wiring. All wiring from the ECM and Clutch Switch up to the steering column, where there is only one horn wire that runs through the spiral cable.....this is where I have become stuck. I now realize that this is all for naught. Now reading through this Forum, I have found that I maybe chasing shadows.

Original Rostra Kit? Does this mean that the ''stalk'' I presently own, needs some additional parts? Or is the Original Rostra Kit something else altogether?
Or do you mean the ECM I have isn't compatible?

Where would be a good place to find this?

Would you be so kind as to direct me from this point to a remedial solution?

If you were I, where would you go from here?

Many thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
This is the point I am presently at:

I have installed the stalk and clutch switch, done some of the wiring. All wiring from the ECM and Clutch Switch up to the steering column, where there is only one horn wire that runs through the spiral cable.....this is where I have become stuck. I now realize that this is all for naught. Now reading through this Forum, I have found that I maybe chasing shadows.

Original Rostra Kit? Does this mean that the ''stalk'' I presently own, needs some additional parts? Or is the Original Rostra Kit something else altogether?
Or do you mean the ECM I have isn't compatible?

Where would be a good place to find this?

Would you be so kind as to direct me from this point to a remedial solution?

If you were I, where would you go from here?

Many thanks

Out of curiosity, did you ever measure the voltage on the pin that you added to the ECM connector? If that measured 12V with the ignition on there would be a glimmer of hope.

In that case, you could just use the frame of the steering wheel as the second spiral cable wire (since the second is just a ground).

As for the Rostra kit, the original one was the one with the aftermarket looking stalk mounted to the opposite side of the steering column. It is a complete CC system, requiring wiring to the accelerator pedal connector, brake switch, fuse panel, and ECM. The reason I believe it would work on Yaris which don't have the OEM CC programmed into the ECM is that it is a complete CC product.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
|Grumblepa

Out of curiosity, No. A Sparky fitted the wiring to the ECM.

I was stumped when I found that the wiring of the connector from the steering column spiral cable was not compatible, as it only had the one horn wire going through the spiral cable. I needed multiple wires to match what was coming from the Cruise Control Stalk.

I took it to a local auto electrician (the most highly recommended in town) and he told me that for him to attempt to figure out what went where would be to time consuming and that I should try the local Auto Sound Systems installer because they do installs. Which I did. The installer, I learned actually does after market Toyota Yaris Cruise Control fits for $950. The only install that they handle is Autron Cruise Controls. Well, alls well and good, but, they thought that they would follow the Rostra directions in the instructions which are provided with the Kit and thought it should be no problem. They worked on it for two and a half hours and came to a quote, "brick wall".

The brick wall was what I mentioned above, no wiring from the steering column to wherever it should go. Whether or not they checked the voltage in the ECM connection I do not not know. As far as I know the wiring is done up to the above point.

And that is why I sit here trying to figure out what to do next.

Hopefully this well informed Forum is my one ray of hope.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Out of curiosity, No. A Sparky fitted the wiring to the ECM.

I was stumped when I found that the wiring of the connector from the steering column spiral cable was not compatible, as it only had the one horn wire going through the spiral cable. I needed multiple wires to match what was coming from the Cruise Control Stalk.

I took it to a local auto electrician (the most highly recommended in town) and he told me that for him to attempt to figure out what went where would be to time consuming and that I should try the local Auto Sound Systems installer because they do installs. Which I did. The installer, I learned actually does after market Toyota Yaris Cruise Control fits for $950. The only install that they handle is Autron Cruise Controls. Well, alls well and good, but, they thought that they would follow the Rostra directions in the instructions which are provided with the Kit and thought it should be no problem. They worked on it for two and a half hours and came to a quote, "brick wall".

The brick wall was what I mentioned above, no wiring from the steering column to wherever it should go. Whether or not they checked the voltage in the ECM connection I do not not know. As far as I know the wiring is done up to the above point.

And that is why I sit here trying to figure out what to do next.

Hopefully this well informed Forum is my one ray of hope.

The lack of the two wires on the steering column end of the spiral cable would be normal even for a 2008 US Yaris. That is why for 06-08's I sell the pins for that connector with my cruise control kit.

Checking the voltage on that pin would confirm that the ECM does or does not have CC built in, so you can determine if your current Rostra kit will work or not.

The original Rostra kit did not use any of that wiring, since it is a stand-alone system. Last I looked it was about $250 USD for that kit.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
|Grumblepa

OK, correct me if I have it wrong. I disconnect the wire harness connector #21 on the top of the ECM, locate pin #40 on this harness connector. With the ignition on, I now check pin #40 on this wire harness connector for 12 Volts. If I do find that there is power on that pin I will hopefully find myself experiencing unbounded joy?

I fail to understand how adding a couple of pins into the spiral cable connector would make a cruise control stalk work. Wouldn't additional wiring be involved and wouldn't that wire hinder the spiral cable?

The Sparky at the Auto Sound System Center told me that their system uses the one wire, but my Cruise Control Kit is a different setup.

Last edited by |Grumblepa; 10-16-2012 at 08:31 AM.
|Grumblepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK, correct me if I have it wrong. I disconnect the wire harness connector #21 on the top of the ECM, locate pin #40 on this harness connector. With the ignition on, I now check pin #40 on this wire harness connector for 12 Volts. If I do find that there is power on that pin I will hopefully find myself experiencing unbounded joy?

I fail to understand how adding a couple of pins into the spiral cable connector would make a cruise control stalk work. Wouldn't additional wiring be involved and wouldn't that wire hinder the spiral cable?

The Sparky at the Auto Sound System Center told me that their system uses the one wire, but my Cruise Control Kit is a different setup.
Theoretically Sparky would have inserted the ECM pin and run the wire from there to the steering column area. If not, then it will be a bit trickier, as you need to measure the voltage on that pin with the ignition in the ON position and the connector on the ECM.

The cruise control stalk mounts inside of the steering wheel and its two wires go through the spiral cable to come out the the connector on the bottom of the column (there are two unused wires in the spiral cable for this purpose. Adding the two pins to that connector lets you then connect one to the wire going to the ECM pin and the other to ground. Making those two connections completes the circuit for connecting the stalk to the ECM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
jonest

Drives: 2007 yaris
CTScott,
How do I go about acquiring the parts? Do you have them in stock, and sell them as a bundle/kit? I appreciate the help and the work you did with your DIY manual.
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonest View Post
CTScott,
How do I go about acquiring the parts? Do you have them in stock, and sell them as a bundle/kit? I appreciate the help and the work you did with your DIY manual.
I typically have everything on hand.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #16
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The car had the dealer installed aftermarket Rostra cruise control system, which was recalled in Canada.
Dealer called me up this summer and informed me of the recall,said they'd remove the unit on my 08 sedan for $500, as i never use cruise it was an easy decision to make..
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There is enough space to install the indicator in the cluster, and I now ship the module with a cover over the LED with the cruise icon, so it looks like it belongs there.
Pic of this? The one you sold me just has the blue LED
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
Pic of this? The one you sold me just has the blue LED

It is still the same LED setup that I ship, but at some point I realized that I could print transparent labels with my PTouch printer, so I now put a label over the blue LED lens with the cruise symbol. Here's what it looks like mounted in the available space by the clock: