Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
HP 1.8 TS

In another topic i have a discussion what the loss in HP is between the flywheel and the wheels.
I'm not quite there agree what they say, thence to you the following question;

Can someone of the Yaris TS owners tell me of the stock 133 HP is wheel horsepower or flywheel horsepower?
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
i would geuss that is power at the flywheel not the wheels.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Drives: Scion xD
Send a message via AIM to Zefoxe
from dynos i've seen the 2ZR gets about 122 at the wheels stock, on the xD at least...

Coming 2010: Toyota iSt CK edition (CooperKiller) stay tuned
Zefoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Yeap

118-120 whp to the wheels on the stock engine. Is what I saw in a few dyno charts for the 2ZR engine.

The advertised HP of the car depends on the market and the rating used on that specific market.

And advertised horse power is ALWAYS at the crank. Not at the wheels.

You will see 128 hp, 133hp and 136hp. All for the very same engine depending on the place is sold.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Yeap

118-120 whp to the wheels on the stock engine. Is what I saw in a few dyno charts for the 2ZR engine.

The advertised HP of the car depends on the market and the rating used on that specific market.

And advertised horse power is ALWAYS at the crank. Not at the wheels.

You will see 128 hp, 133hp and 136hp. All for the very same engine depending on the place is sold.

Oke, thanks.

So the ScanGauge is not give me the right information. He gives 167 flywheel HP by 6000rpm! Strange.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andries View Post
Oke, thanks.

So the ScanGauge is not give me the right information. He gives 167 flywheel HP by 6000rpm! Strange.
The scan gauge is not a proper tool to measure HP.

I have G-Tech Pro see here: http://www.gtechpro.com/

which is supposed to have very accurate measurements but even this one will give me wrong number in regards to HP. The only way is with a Dyno. No other way around it.

You just made a very accurate comment on the other thread. Horse Power is just a number and it does not tell us much about the abilities of a specific car.

Horse Power is measured at it peak. That means that you car could be very week all accross the power curve and then spike up and have a big HP number at the end. That kind of power will be of no use in the real life.

What is important is the overall amount of HP produced under the total curve. And that is a measurement of area, not HP.

Last week I ran against a 2002 Corolla TS. 6speed. 190 peak HP. It revs up to 8250rpm.

And guess what?

We did 2 passes and the Yaris won by 2 cars in both.

Stay tune for the new NST pulleys coming soon and Richard's Intake manifold.

Those couple of mods will really bring up to life this little engine!

145whp in our cars should be enough to beat a Civic Si....
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Yaris Palme
MAZDASPEED3

Drives: MazdaSpeed3
Send a message via ICQ to Yaris Palme
i made a dyno run 2007. i just hade my exhaust on the TS.

136HP on the ENGINE
103,1HP on the wheels

if you can read GERMAN
http://moe.rampage-guys.net/stuff/to...alme_yaris.pdf
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Palme View Post
i made a dyno run 2007. i just hade my exhaust on the TS.

136HP on the ENGINE
103,1HP on the wheels

if you can read GERMAN
http://moe.rampage-guys.net/stuff/to...alme_yaris.pdf

Some how those numbers don't look right to me.

103 is to low for this car.

First, if you put you car in a Dyno they should have gave you the HP on the wheels. But how do they tell you the HP on the engine? There is no way to do that unless you take the engine out of the car and have it dynoed.

So How do they give you the 136hp number?

103 to 136 is over 30% drive train loss. That is WAY to much of a loss. Not even with an Automatic transmission you will be losing a 30% of power.

15% loss in a manual transmission is a common number used for calculations. But still that is just an estimate since the drive train loss in avery car is going to be different.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
The scan gauge is not a proper tool to measure HP.

I have G-Tech Pro see here: http://www.gtechpro.com/

which is supposed to have very accurate measurements but even this one will give me wrong number in regards to HP. The only way is with a Dyno. No other way around it.

You just made a very accurate comment on the other thread. Horse Power is just a number and it does not tell us much about the abilities of a specific car.

Horse Power is measured at it peak. That means that you car could be very week all accross the power curve and then spike up and have a big HP number at the end. That kind of power will be of no use in the real life.

What is important is the overall amount of HP produced under the total curve. And that is a measurement of area, not HP.

Last week I ran against a 2002 Corolla TS. 6speed. 190 peak HP. It revs up to 8250rpm.

And guess what?

We did 2 passes and the Yaris won by 2 cars in both.

Stay tune for the new NST pulleys coming soon and Richard's Intake manifold.

Those couple of mods will really bring up to life this little engine!

145whp in our cars should be enough to beat a Civic Si....

Okay, this explains a lot. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Rafterman

Drives: Yaris II TS 133 hp
my TS has 115.5 hp on the wheel and 134 hp engine power
Rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
my TS has 115.5 hp on the wheel and 134 hp engine power
115.5 Whp sounds about right and very close to some dyno charts I've seen for this engine.

Though, how do those shops get to tell you the Engine POwer? They should explain to the customers that the number they give for HP at the engine is just an estimate!

To measure the power at the engine they would need to take your engine out of the car...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Yaris Palme
MAZDASPEED3

Drives: MazdaSpeed3
Send a message via ICQ to Yaris Palme
they just put the UBD connector on the car and the dynorun could start.
it was messured in the 4th gear, because there is gear ratio the same.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yeah those electronic "gizmo" dynos are not really accurate unless you really take the time to calibrate them. So many factors come into play if you don't use an actual dyno: wind resistance, grade (angle) of the road, car's exact weight... I have a similar device and it thinks my car has 125whp... I'd be happy if this were the case

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
Rafterman

Drives: Yaris II TS 133 hp
125 whp with THIS car ? thomas, your drugs are good
ok..how much motor hp has your yaris really ? 105 ?
Rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
the standard #'s i use are 13% and 25% for manual/auto drivetrain loses from the crank to the wheels.....usually fairly accurate....
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Drivetrain losses are actually not a percentage nor are they a truly fixed value. Lets take a wild example here of a 1000-hp turbo V8. If the dirvetrain loss in a Camaro or Mustang is 15% at the 400-hp level, it will not be the same 15% at the 1000-hp level. The drivetrain losses will only increase slightly with increased engine output. Percentages are usefule and fairly accurate with stock vehicles since the OEMs have a direct correlation between the hp tested (under their specific conditions) on the engine dyno and on a chassis dyno. Once you modify the motor, the percentage starts changing. Minor mods (10-15 hp) will have little effect on the accuracy of the percentage but the greater the power output, the more the strict percentage will be off. Best to use actual dyno numbers and gains registered there on. BTW-The stock 1.8L in the 08 Scion Xd put out 119-120 wheel hp on my Dynojet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
the standard #'s i use are 13% and 25% for manual/auto drivetrain loses from the crank to the wheels.....usually fairly accurate....
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
Drivetrain losses are actually not a percentage nor are they a truly fixed value. Lets take a wild example here of a 1000-hp turbo V8. If the dirvetrain loss in a Camaro or Mustang is 15% at the 400-hp level, it will not be the same 15% at the 1000-hp level. The drivetrain losses will only increase slightly with increased engine output. Percentages are usefule and fairly accurate with stock vehicles since the OEMs have a direct correlation between the hp tested (under their specific conditions) on the engine dyno and on a chassis dyno. Once you modify the motor, the percentage starts changing. Minor mods (10-15 hp) will have little effect on the accuracy of the percentage but the greater the power output, the more the strict percentage will be off. Best to use actual dyno numbers and gains registered there on. BTW-The stock 1.8L in the 08 Scion Xd put out 119-120 wheel hp on my Dynojet.
My brother has the Xd. Nice car, has tons of stuff as standard
equipment. I drove his auto and it's got a pretty good punch bone stock.
He paid $16.8k.
Outta my budget, so I got the Yari....
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote