Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
SECProto

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
Best winter tire size

Not sure if this should be in the Tires section, or the 3rd gen section - but I put it here because it is a question specific to the 3rd gen Yaris.

I've had a 3rd gen Yaris since July, with the stock steel rims and 175/65R15 tires. I'm looking to get a set of winter tires to deal with our Canadian winter - we had some snow this week, and I had a bit of traction loss on hills.

I'm wondering what tires and wheels I should go for? I think I can get a set of Michelin X Ice tires with another set of wheels in 165/65R15 (see here and here) - would this be my best option? or should I be switching to a different tire profile? I see a lot of people talking about 185 or 195 widths. Is there any advantage to these sizes in winter conditions? note that although the wheel picture shows a 5-bolt pattern, the specs says 4 bolt.

Another option is to get a set from the dealership - they offer a ContiWinterContact ts810s for $115 each ($35/tire cheaper than the michelin xi3) and wheels for $70 each ($20/wheel more expensive) - but I don't know if their performance on ice is a good as the xi3.

So those are the two options I've explored so far. Apologies for being one of the many noobs to ask tire questions - i did several searches and read quite a few posts, but most of the discussion has centred around older yarises, and installing tires for looks and speed performance, rather than winter condition performance. Any advice would be much appreciated!
SECProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
I've got the 16's so im forced to run a 195/50r16,
I'm a huge Nokain fan. id recommend the Nokian Hakka R i run the 7 studded myself.

the xi3 is overpriced for what it is, it needs better snow / slush grip. as for ice its alright.

id run stock size, the 175's will give the best performance, when you start playing and getting to uncommon sizes they start to get more expensive.
the theory is the narrower tire the more then tire can settle into snow and slush giving the tire more bite on the base below. tire to wide it can float on the snow and make traction worse, that being said 175-195 is 2 centimeters and how much difference it makes who really knows.
hope some of this helps.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
if you're in a location that get a lot of snow that stays on the road, id get a 175 or 185 wide tire with an open tread

if you're in southern ontario, you can pretty much get whatever winter tire is cheapest as i don't find we have enough snow on the road to warrant anything really hardcore

i currently have nexen eurowinters and theyre ok

other tires ive had:
blizzaks are amazing
x-ice (first gen) are nice but were soft...not sure how the x-ice2's are
goodyear (canadian tire) nordics are good
also currently have hankook i-pikes and like them a lot
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
I don't think the OP needs to worry about Winter tires with a brand new 2012, I'm not going to this year, considering I haven't really used it that much, I still like to get my physical exercise in :)
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote