Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Benefits of Removing Cat and Running Straight Pipe?

Just wondering what everyone thinks of cutting out the cats and running straight pipes. Will it add more power, because of it being more free flowing(I know its not a turbo vehicle but hey). Will it sound nicer or more annoying, does anyone have any vids or sound clips. Any comment is appreciated...

I don't have to worry about inspection or anything and global warming is BS so please no tree hugging splurs... It's not that I don't care about the environment I yell at people for littering.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
redduck

Drives: Yaris
you might lose
compression
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Plus, it will sound like a crappy motorcycle, from wht I've seen; also, I can't imagine there's much HP to gained from this. Between noise and environmental concerns, I really don't see the sense in doing this. But then, I rarely see sense in anything
Old 09-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Don't u run the risk of burning the exhaust valves with no back pressure with a straight pipe ? as they would heat up to much ...
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
ahhh then no go then thats all i wanted... now what if i downsized the exhaust!!! more compression muahahaha.... pure NA POWA
Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Power? You're driving a Toyota Yaris.

Just sayin.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
I have seen a lot of 4 Cyl cars running straight pipes and believe me if this is done right there si no way you will loose compression so go figure.

It's a Vitz!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
The catalytic converter serves many valuable purposes, but mainly the severe reduction of noxious emissions. Not only does this greatly help the environment but it is also mandated by Federal law.

To remove it is one of the most irresponsible and selfish things an automobile owner can do, and it is my sincere hope that anyone that does so gets caught and punished for it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
...To remove it is one of the most irresponsible and selfish things an automobile owner can do, and it is my sincere hope that anyone that does so gets caught and punished for it.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
On my turbo lebaron I upgraded to a 3" exhaust and kept the cat. You can get performance cats that filter out the emissions their supposed to while providing high-flow. I purchased one for cheap on ebay from a seller that sold catco brand. Worked great. There is NO testing where I live, but I wanted to keep it legit.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Quote:
The catalytic converter serves many valuable purposes, but mainly the severe reduction of noxious emissions. Not only does this greatly help the environment but it is also mandated by Federal law.

To remove it is one of the most irresponsible and selfish things an automobile owner can do, and it is my sincere hope that anyone that does so gets caught and punished for it.
This is true also

It's a Vitz!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
A lot of people around here with loud mufflers on their civics get their exhaust shops to cut a hole at the top of the cat and hollow it out then wield the top back on so from underneath unless you look really close, it looks normal. But really inside it's just a straight pipe through the cat's outer shell.

In Ontario we have really strict emissions testing, but it isn't too hard to get emissions faked. When I got my first car I didn't know it was so badly beat up as it was, and I was told by a few mechanics the best and easiest solution to solve the emissions problem was to get a new car, which I couldn't do. When I ran out of temp plates the DMV would give me, I finally had to get the papers done. Still had the car 4 months after that till it totally died. I even replaced the cat on that car and ALL of the o2 and no2 sensors on the exhaust...still didn't fix the emissions. Kept failing on what the place called "nox". Limit was 200 and something and my car was doing in the 2500's
Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhope34 View Post
Kept failing on what the place called "nox". Limit was 200 and something and my car was doing in the 2500's
"Nox" is short for "noxious emissions". Gasoline-burning vehicles produce 3 kinds of emissions:

1) GHG (greenhouse gases - Carbon Dioxide and Nitrous Oxide)

2) Nox (noxious emissions - Nitrogen Oxide, Carbon Monoxide, Sulfur Dioxide, various carcinogenic (cancer-causing) hydrocarbons... all the stuff that acid rain is made of)

3) Passive (paint flakes and fumes, leaking fluids, etc.)

A catalytic converter helps mostly with the "nox" group.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks of cutting out the cats and running straight pipes. Will it add more power, because of it being more free flowing(I know its not a turbo vehicle but hey). Will it sound nicer or more annoying, does anyone have any vids or sound clips. Any comment is appreciated...

I don't have to worry about inspection or anything and global warming is BS so please no tree hugging splurs... It's not that I don't care about the environment I yell at people for littering.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Yes, that ment your two morons.... obviously he does not care your opinion.
I was going to wait to go catless, but just because of that comment from Brian/BailOut, I am getting them bitches cut out and throwin another resinator in. I wish I lived near him, I would blow those noxious emissions right on his door step.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post

BTW... I think Vanderkitten is running a race pipe on one of his Yarii... I would shoot him a PM
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #16
alhope34
Spool'd

Quote:
"Nox" is short for "noxious emissions". Gasoline-burning vehicles produce 3 kinds of emissions:

1) GHG (greenhouse gases - Carbon Dioxide and Nitrous Oxide)

2) Nox (noxious emissions - Nitrogen Oxide, Carbon Monoxide, Sulfur Dioxide, various carcinogenic (cancer-causing) hydrocarbons... all the stuff that acid rain is made of)

3) Passive (paint flakes and fumes, leaking fluids, etc.)

A catalytic converter helps mostly with the "nox" group.
My car failed harder with the new cat. And I even drove it 500km before I got it re-tested. got 1000 or so with the old cat that was all clogged. And yes, the new cat was also a three-way. I know two way cats don't work as wekk
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I was going to wait to go catless, but just because of that comment from Brian/BailOut, I am getting them bitches cut out and throwin another resinator in. I wish I lived near him, I would blow those noxious emissions right on his door step.
Emissions Nazi!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
alhope34
Spool'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post

Haha, I like your response.
Closed Thread