Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
muncedog

Drives: Vitz 2002
Vitz 2002 issues-locks, handles, power window, front bearings and idle

Hi all,

So Just brought myself a 2002 Vitz and it has a few issues... that I ahven't found solutions to on google etc.

First issues - drivers window doesn't move. There is an audiable click as you press the button I think a relay is switching but not the motor.. Also the 'auto' light flashes so there is power to the switch at least and its receiving the press. Motor blown or a separate fuse to the motor? I have tried 'assisting' the window down, no movement...

The central locking is sketchy, it seems it requires mutliple (at least 3) presses to unlock - it moves part the way up with each press - I assume this isn't a staged security feature but a part needs greasing somewhere as its struggling to raise the lock?

A few springs look like they have gone in the outside handles, they sort of hang loose, although they function!

The idle seems to start a little high, not sure if this is some sort of choke? It goes down after 30 secs or so... Perhaps clean throttle body?

There is a slight whistle when the engine is under load i.e lowish revs foot down... perhaps a small exhaust hole or vacuum issue? Any common faults here?

Thanks in advance for any help!
muncedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
muncedog

Update....

So I took the door panel off and the water cover (With nasty glue) but because the window is stuck fully up, I can't separate the glass from the mechanism. I'm guessing I have to detach the mechanism from the door (Tapped up window) and lower it out awkwardly?

I do feel a VERY slight jolt as if the motor tries to start. What on earth could be jamming it? Tried knocking it and assisting it to no avail
Old 12-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
When you do a cold start, high idle is normal. I have a sedan and hatchaback, they both start at about 1500 rpm and slowly go down.

Whats the mileage of your car? sounds like its been running around alot.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
muncedog

So its around 120K km, I have now fixed the window ( loosened motor bolts, gave the gears a gentle tap with a hammer... I think It might have gone of the end tooth or sat closed for weeks on end and seized...

I think the drivers door lock is stiff as the inner door housing is bent and putting pressure on the lock bit... For this reason it takes a few presses of the key to lock the door!

I will take it to a garage to get the bearings done!

Given how much of a pain it was to put the inner door back on for the driver (little plastic clips snapped...) I won't bother adjusting/replacing the springs in the other door handles!