Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #37
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
Yes it was installed correctly and the caster did increase but I can't remember by how much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #38
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Thanks for the feedback/review!
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #39
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'm installing my bushings tomorrow, except I got the ones that don't change caster to save me the headache the op experienced.

I'm a bit confused about what parts to lube with the grease supplied w/ the bushings? My understanding is only the inner part of the bushing with the knurled surface. Can anyone confirm?

Apparnetly whiteline bushings now have a Teflon coating on the outside so no grease is to be applied on the outside of the bushing. I just want to confirm that this is correct.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #40
KTS

I think u just have to grease the inner part where the metal contacts the bushing. That's what I did and mine Newberry made any noise

Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #41
tmontague

Thanks, that was my understanding as well.

I got them installed and I'll be doing a dog write up this week for them. Took me the better part of the day, those things can be a huge pita. Anyways I'll post anything different that I notice compared to oem, have to drive on them for a bit first
Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #42
KTS

Huge huge pita. Never doing that again well hopefully not and d sad part is I pulled them.out in place of oem bushings suspecting they were bad. Sad

Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #43
tmontague

Tbh they weren't really any more difficult than oem ones I've done before. That said, I purposely didn't get the caster adjustment ones that you did as the would have made it more difficult.

Control arms and bushings are rarely ever a seem less diy, i had to spend an extra 6 hours replacing my Vibe's arms due to the bolt being seized to the bushing sleeve.

My Vios' were pretty close to being seized, in hind sight that is a good part to remove every 8 years or so if you live in the salt belt. Cover all the bolts in anti seize and then re install, will save hours of labor down the road when the Control arms need replacing at 250k km like they typically do.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #44
MugenRep

I think the CASTER + bushings have been discontinued as I've looked for them and can only find them in a few locations. That said, I'd it'd have to be a used set or custom metal sleeve with off center bore like what Whiteline did to the originals.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #45
tmontague

The issue that KTS had is that the metal washers are not bored off center like the center sleeve is. Because the washer are held on center by metal tabs on the subframe it becomes impossible to line them up without drilling a larger hole in the washers.

Imo this is a great mod to do but I wouldn't do it unless the oem bushing are starting to wear. Its not a massive difference (although I've yet to push the car hard on corners as i still have my winters on).

My oem bushing were starting to rot and had a crack starting on both of them so it was a good time to upgrade.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #46
KTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The issue that KTS had is that the metal washers are not bored off center like the center sleeve is. Because the washer are held on center by metal tabs on the subframe it becomes impossible to line them up without drilling a larger hole in the washers.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #47
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

Imo this is a great mod to do but I wouldn't do it unless the oem bushing are starting to wear. Its not a massive difference (although I've yet to push the car hard on corners as i still have my winters on).

My oem bushing were starting to rot and had a crack starting on both of them so it was a good time to upgrade.

I completely understand how it works. I had SuperPro Caster + bushings on my one Ep3 and the Whiteline +.5 Caster bushings on the other Ep3 I owned. I just stating they're not available anymore, so you'd have to use another set with similar size, or make your own like Perrin did for the WRX/STI back in 2004-2005.