Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
cwk8412

Drives: Yaris YRS 1.5L
Question Yaris Popularity

Hey guys,

Was wondering whether Yaris are popular in your country? When you see them, are they usually stock or modified? Yaris are popular in my country (New Zealand), but they are in stock. Do you guys think people dislike Yaris compare to similar class cars such as Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta...etc

Cheers
cwk8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Justhandguns

Drives: Yaris Icon 1.33
Strangely, Yaris seems to be very popular in the UK, but not so for Gen3. But compared to other Japanese hatchbacks such as Jazz/Fit, Swift, Micra, they are everywhere. There used to be plenty of early gen Micra's around (I think they are made in the UK?), but I think the lost out much to the newer European brands.

The previous versions of Yaris are always seen as a learner's car, maybe it's because the driving instructors can easily attach the extra paddles on the passenger side? There must be a reason for it. The previous generation of Honda Jazz was popular for quite a few years, but Honda decided that they should sell it at a higher price..... The European brands are also gaining grounds probably because of their cheaper price tags. Peugeot/Renault/Ford/Vauxhall(GM) are also everywhere.
Justhandguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
cwk8412

Yeah I've seen a lot of Learners with the second gen Yaris. I guess they are quite popular for Learners as Yaris is small and easy to drive around with, the parking is pretty easy with easy angles that you can see.

I'm quite suprised that Yaris are popular in the UK as Yaris are not that popular in New Zealand. As you said, there are more second gen Yaris around in New Zelaand too. But I do not seem to see a lot of third gen Yaris around, even if they are, they are used as rental cars.

Pop me a message, Ill add you on Instagram 🤙🏼
Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Cant say they are popular at all here in the States. They dont sell many compared to Fit, Mirage, et al.

Only see stock examples here in NJ never mods.

You might call this a Yaris Mod forum however.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I agree with bronsin. The large majority I see here in SoCal are stock.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I would say the second gen(?) 2007, 2008 ish Yaris' are very popular around here. Not many of the newer gen are as I think people got smoozed over by what Hyundai and Kia are offering for not much more money (albeit at a loss to reliability). Even the Fit seems like a better deal to most with a newer trans and engine and Honda's are at least closer to Toyota in reliability than something like Hyundai is.

Most Yaris' around here are completely stock, the most I usually see if a set of aftermarket rims on them.

The problem is from what I've seen, people don't care about longevity when you flash things like "heated seats, lane departure warning etc". They get all excited over things that are really moot and then look at a basic Yaris and don't even think twice. Many people around here get bored with a car in 3 years and then go by the newest whatever because they "just have to have it". It's been fascinating but sad to watch my generation not appreciate things but feel that they need to spend money to have something that's new even though their current product works fine (new Iphone anyone?).

How superficial it is but the reality is that if Toyota wants to compete with other car makers in that age category they need to start flashing some of that stuff as well. To me it's a waste as I'm paying for something that I don't want or need and it just adds cost and weight. But that's why I don't buy brand new.

The interesting thing is these people will then complain that their car costs so much to run and after 150k km it's ready for the scrap yard... These people have barely even finished paying off their car only to go then take out a huge extended car payment for the next "newest and best" car that they'll feel good about for a week. Then complain they have no money and are swallowed up in debt. It's crazy how many extended friends I know who are in this boat. My first question in my head is always "why are they driving and making a huge car payment on that new car that is way more than they need" many times it's a new Volkswagen that moves them from home to work in traffic.

But I digress...
Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Not very popular in NYC area. I might see one 2nd gen a day. I can go weeks without seeing a 3rd gen Yaris.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
I see many Yarii around my local area and in the centre of the city. By the time I get from my house to the main road (800 metres) i have passed 5 other Gen 2 or 3 Yarii.

Toyota have been advertising the Yaris on prime time television for a few months now, and are currently advertising the chance to win one of three Yarii if you purchase any new Toyota.

However, I must admit that the Yaris is generally seen as a "Girl's car" or cheap, reliable basic transport for some businesses.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I see barely any near me in the Rockford, Illinois area... besides my house where we have three of them lol. There's a white SE I see every few weeks, a red L that belongs to an appliance repair guy, and a gray LE that I've passed a few times.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
The Yaris was on the top of the "small/cheap" heap here in the U.S. in 2008, but sales have been falling fast ever since. Now it has the worst sales among all the cars I would consider it to be a competitor to. The Versa is doing extremely well.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 03-01-2017 at 03:17 PM.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
Quite popular here in Denmark the 7 most sold i january 2,8% of the total sale.
https://www.bilimp.dk/Statistik
Peugeot 208 is number 1 because they sell them cheap with lots of comfort equipment, But as all french cars it Will probably start falling apart when it leaves the dealer.

And VW quality isnt much better, big problems with rust and engines with cam chains which fails fast plus DSG7 with huge problems.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Not a popular vehicle choice in Phoenix, AZ as a personal vehicle (or the rest of the USA in general for that matter).

I can count on one hand the number of 2015-2017 SE's that I have seen on the road since they made their debut in late 2014. About the same for the 2012-2014 version SE. I haven't seen that many L/LE 2012+ Yaris models on the road either for that matter, versus the Versa, Fit, etc. I bet Toyota sells more new Yaris (L/LE) vehicles to rental companies each year here in the USA now than they do to actual personal buyers, and I imagine that the SE sales versus the L/LE in general is less than 1 in 20 sold since most people shopping this vehicle class are more price-focused than anything else.

Even the 2nd gen Yaris (2007-2011) isn't a common sight (mostly the sedan versions), and the ones I do see are all base factory equipped, hubcap loving, and showing their age/wear/neglect in most cases. There is a single blue 2009-2011 'S' trim hatch that I see occasionally in my area, that is well taken care of, but not modified outside of the factory 'S' bodykit and alloy norms.

Oh well - I do love my little Yaris anyways, and still wouldn't opt for any other vehicle anywhere near its price-point ($25K or less).
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
lots of yaris in southern ontario and quebec, canada
Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
hubcap loving

Just about the only 3rd gen cars I see belong to a pest control company, who give them big ears and a tail so they look like mice. Hard to miss.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #15
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '09-'11_Toyota_Yaris_3-Door_Truly_Nolen.jpg (72.4 KB, 107 views)
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I've seen a couple of those yellow-mice Yari around here also.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 AM   #17
cwk8412

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
Hahah come on, got to love the Pikachu look on the Yaris hahaha
Old 03-02-2017, 03:33 AM   #18
cwk8412

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I would say the second gen(?) 2007, 2008 ish Yaris' are very popular around here. Not many of the newer gen are as I think people got smoozed over by what Hyundai and Kia are offering for not much .......
Hahah yeah well I do know that Kia and other car brands are selling similar hatchbacks at a lower price, however personally I think that Toyota still has its reliability in the long term. Speaking of VW, whenever I see a VW polo or VW golf they always try to race me lol.

Tags
thoughts, yaris