Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #19
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
lots of yaris in southern ontario and quebec, canada

Yup, I can see at least 4 to 5 second gen Yaris just by looking out my window right now.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #20
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Whenever I'm in Montreal I'm amazed by the number of Yarii I see.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #21
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post

Whenever I'm in NYC, I'm amazed by the number of big cars that have to drive off the island to get gas everyday :p

Old 03-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #22
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I read an article recently that quoted insurance statistics indicating that Montreal is the small car capital of North America, while Vancouver is the luxury and exotic car capital of North America.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
cwk8412

Drives: Yaris YRS 1.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I read an article recently that quoted insurance statistics indicating that Montreal is the small car capital of North America, while Vancouver is the luxury and exotic car capital of North America.
Speaking of insurance, I assume the insurance would be cheaper on Yaris compare to other similar type cars?
cwk8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk8412 View Post
Speaking of insurance, I assume the insurance would be cheaper on Yaris compare to other similar type cars?

If $570 CAD a year including tax for a 24yo driver with only fire/vandalism/theft protection with a $500 deductible and $2M responsibility driving a 10yo Yaris hatchback two door is what you call cheap. I've checked two days ago with my agent and if my car was the 4 door hatch, if would cost me almost $100 more ! So many people with driving Yaris here that the average claim ratio per car model isn't has good as other places where the Yaris is less driven. I think I should be paying about $400 top with tax for such basic coverage, a perfect driving history and a very good credit background too (I wouldn't be surprised if your credit score didn't influenced even your insurances rates imo).

Old 03-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #25
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
If $570 CAD a year including tax for a 24yo driver with only fire/vandalism/theft protection with a $500 deductible and $2M responsibility driving a 10yo Yaris hatchback two door is what you call cheap. I've checked two days ago with my agent and if my car was the 4 door hatch, if would cost me almost $100 more ! So many people with driving Yaris here that the average claim ratio per car model isn't has good as other places where the Yaris is less driven. I think I should be paying about $400 top with tax for such basic coverage, a perfect driving history and a very good credit background too (I wouldn't be surprised if your credit score didn't influenced even your insurances rates imo).

That is super cheap! And yes, if insurance in Canada is anything like in the U.S., credit score has a much bigger effect on price than actual driving history.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I'll have to say the countries in which I saw the most Yaris/Vitz was the UK and Japan, followed by Germany. I actually see a fair amount of 2 Gen Yarii here in southcentral Texas but usually they're stock. Modded ones are mainly limited to aftermarket rims and tires, and spoilers. Replacement headlights and tail lights, or other things like Vitz badges, are rare...

Most people don't know what my Yaris is unless they see the badge in the back.

Cheers! M2
Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
That is super cheap! And yes, if insurance in Canada is anything like in the U.S., credit score has a much bigger effect on price than actual driving history.

Glad to hear that. Still it's too much anyway.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Around here the yaris is not as cheap to insure as one would think. We get bent over in regards to auto insurance in Ontario by the billions so this may not apply to other provinces/states.

Because the yaris is a subcompact and driven by many students and young kids as their first car, the statistics don't positively favor low insurance rates for it. If I purchased a large 4 door more expensive sedan I'd pay less than in my yaris. I am paying about $160 per month for no collision just liability. Meaning they are only paying if I hit someone else and it's my fault then they pay for the other car I hit. This is with a clean record and other vehicles being insured by the same company. I also have a clean record.

Its attrocious how f*cked we get in Ontario. Regardless it's what it costs to drive in this province.

I see many more LB's than sedans on the road around here.

Last edited by tmontague; 03-13-2017 at 04:07 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
It cost me more to insure my 2007 Yaris than my 2010 Camry. When I got the 2014 Yaris, insurance was even more expensive.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #30
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
$834/year USD$ full-coverage here on my Yari. Not horrible. Not great.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #31
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I am paying about $160 per month for no collision just liability.
Ouch! See, David? You're getting off easy. I was paying about $500 per year for my Geo Metro (Pontiac Firefly to you Canadians), a nearly worthless, very slow, 20-year-old car, liability only, with no at-fault accidents or tickets in my history. Plus, I only insure it as a "pleasure" car, not a commuter (less than 7k miles per year).

Strangely, I only pay a little more for full coverage on my Yaris now. Maybe it's because I'm past the 25-year-old mark now?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #32
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Yarii are everywhere in the Toronto area. Just in the parking lot where I work, I see several, including a sedan with a cool license plate, something like "YAR11". Probably only around 5% of them around here are customised in any visible way. Plenty of other small cars around as well, like the Honda (mis)Fit.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #33
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Ouch! See, David? You're getting off easy. I was paying about $500 per year for my Geo Metro (Pontiac Firefly to you Canadians), a nearly worthless, very slow, 20-year-old car, liability only, with no at-fault accidents or tickets in my history. Plus, I only insure it as a "pleasure" car, not a commuter (less than 7k miles per year).

Strangely, I only pay a little more for full coverage on my Yaris now. Maybe it's because I'm past the 25-year-old mark now?

Still expensive, although I did shop around a lot and that was the best rate I was able to get. Just like gas is expensive here for no good reason. It's 50% more expensive here than it is in Vermont.

I'll call back my insurer in September when I turn 25 to renegotiate that outrageous premium, they gotta give me some lovin' if they want my money.

And we had the Geo Metro here too, not rebranded. Cool little car when I was 10yo haha.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #34
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

It's always a good idea to shop around every year or two on insurance. They all use different formulas for their rates, so you never know when your history might suddenly get you a better rate somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
And we had the Geo Metro here too, not rebranded. Cool little car when I was 10yo haha.
Cool, I wasn't sure if you got the Geo badge, too. Except for a few early ones imported from Japan, they were all built in Ontario. They're still almost common in the Pacific Northwest. I think I saw more Metros than Yarii last time I was up there, even though production ended more than 15 years ago.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #35
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
I dated a girl about 15 years ago who had a 3 cylinder Metro. She would rip through those gears like it was a race car. I remember being really impressed. Awesome little car!

Last edited by Captain Yaris; 03-03-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
I dated a girl about 15 years ago who had a 3 cylinder Metro. She would rip through those gears like it was a race car. I remember being really impressed. Awesome little car!
pics of girl?
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thoughts, yaris