Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Smoked headlights?

I have a 2014 5 door LE, I'm looking to smoke out my headlights. Is there a kit to do it? Or new headlight assemblies? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
I have a 2014 5 door LE, I'm looking to smoke out my headlights. Is there a kit to do it? Or new headlight assemblies? Thanks!

At the very least, how can I clean up my headlights? See the pictures in the link here

https://imgur.com/gallery/I1SNC

Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Look around the forum. Someone recently post a similar question and he got answers.

Anyway:
If you want to smoke your headlights you can plastidip them. There are special plastidip products for this job. But keep in mind that making your headlights darker, you will reduce your brightness.

So for restore their brightness:
Check chrisFX channel on YouTube. One of his videos is a full DIY restoration.
All you need is some sandpapers and a coating spray that it is UV resistant. (The only specified coating for this job is American accents clear coat. You can find it on amazon)

miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Look around the forum. Someone recently post a similar question and he got answers.

Anyway:
If you want to smoke your headlights you can plastidip them. There are special plastidip products for this job. But keep in mind that making your headlights darker, you will reduce your brightness.

So for restore their brightness:
Check chrisFX channel on YouTube. One of his videos is a full DIY restoration.
All you need is some sandpapers and a coating spray that it is UV resistant. (The only specified coating for this job is American accents clear coat. You can find it on amazon)

Thanks! I'm still trying to learn how this forum works, it's confusing to navigate.I'll try it!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Thanks! I'm still trying to learn how this forum works, it's confusing to navigate.I'll try it!

You are welcome hope you solved your problem ;)

miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
I would advise against smoked headlights as they are illegal in Cali, and it's only a question of when not if you will be ticketed for them. The wet sand and clear coat is your best bet to restore the headlights to a factory new look that will last a long time. If they are not so bad then you can get away with just using a compound/scratch remover or polish followed by a coat of wax. From looking at the photo's your headlights are in pretty good shape so I would only polish and wax them. You can even try a whitening toothpaste as the polishing compound.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
I would advise against smoked headlights as they are illegal in Cali, and it's only a question of when not if you will be ticketed for them. The wet sand and clear coat is your best bet to restore the headlights to a factory new look that will last a long time. If they are not so bad then you can get away with just using a compound/scratch remover or polish followed by a coat of wax. From looking at the photo's your headlights are in pretty good shape so I would only polish and wax them. You can even try a whitening toothpaste as the polishing compound.

Good to know thank you!