Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
How the SE model should have come from the factory

I'm now at the 3 year mark of my Yaris ownership. Great car. It had almost everything I wanted from the factory but of course there is always room for improvement.

My first mod was the TRD rear sway bar. A definite improvement to handling. Ups the fun factor.

Next I added in mirror turn signals. (Big thank you to CTScott for his help). Just like the rest of the world. Don't understand why these are not mandatory here in the USA. Improves safety and looks good too.

And finally, after 3 years of searching, I found some pedal covers that I liked and that fit a 3rd gen car. (Autobahn Kraftwerk Scion xD model, Part number PTS22-52082). Mostly a cosmetic improvement but they do grip a little better so there is a safety aspect as well.

Now I am done. In my opinion this is how Toyota should have equipped the SE model from the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsw.jpg (167.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg rsw1.jpg (179.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (92.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg pedals.jpg (336.6 KB, 177 views)
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I'm now at the 3 year mark of my Yaris ownership. Great car. It had almost everything I wanted from the factory but of course there is always room for improvement.

My first mod was the TRD rear sway bar. A definite improvement to handling. Ups the fun factor.

Next I added in mirror turn signals. (Big thank you to CTScott for his help). Just like the rest of the world. Don't understand why these are not mandatory here in the USA. Improves safety and looks good too.

And finally, after 3 years of searching, I found some pedal covers that I liked and that fit a 3rd gen car. (Autobahn Kraftwerk Scion xD model, Part number PTS22-52082). Mostly a cosmetic improvement but they do grip a little better so there is a safety aspect as well.

Now I am done. In my opinion this is how Toyota should have equipped the SE model from the factory.

How did you do the signal mirrors??? I've been hunting for this for a while! Thanks, nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
How did you do the signal mirrors??? I've been hunting for this for a while!
It's a bit involved. There is not a pre wired harness to tap into so you have to splice into the body ECU. Also have to order the mirror covers from Japan or Europe as they are not sold here. Details here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54875
Old 04-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I agree with you 100% NYC-SE - though I would add the OEM exhaust tip to your list, since Toyota cheaped-out on it for the SE starting with the 2015 refresh.

I also prefer the body-colored shark-fin radio antennae over the stock radio-controlled-car looking plastic screw-on roof antennae. It helps make the SE look even more distinguished, and less economy class. It's one of the first positive things that I noticed on the Toyota iM (plus the nice exhaust tip) when it made its debut - though the lack of OEM fog-lights (or even a dealer option for it) in those huge iM front bumper side housings was UNFORGIVABLE.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I agree with you 100% NYC-SE - though I would add the OEM exhaust tip to your list, since Toyota cheaped-out on it for the SE starting with the 2015 refresh.

I also prefer the body-colored shark-fin radio antennae over the stock radio-controlled-car looking plastic screw-on roof antennae. It helps make the SE look even more distinguished, and less economy class. It's one of the first positive things that I noticed on the Toyota iM (plus the nice exhaust tip) when it made its debut - though the lack of OEM fog-lights (or even a dealer option for it) in those huge front bumper housings was UNFORGIVABLE.
Luckily my 2014 made the cut for the exhaust tip or else I would have added one as well. I actually like the RC antenna look myself. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
What does the TRD read sway bar do? I've had my Yaris since Dec. 2010 and haven't done any mods. So, I'm not exactly well versed in this subject, but I am interested in what that sway bar accomplishes.
Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
What does the TRD read sway bar do? I've had my Yaris since Dec. 2010 and haven't done any mods. So, I'm not exactly well versed in this subject, but I am interested in what that sway bar accomplishes.
Thanks.
Tightens up the suspension, especially in the rear, so there's less body roll when cornering. Gives the car a much more sporty feel.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Tightens up the suspension, especially in the rear, so there's less body roll when cornering. Gives the car a much more sporty feel.
What he said.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:05 AM   #9
bentjazz

How much would something like that cost? Is it easy to install? Could I put it on my 2010 Yaris?
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #10
NYC-SE

Costs about $180 US. Super easy install. 4 bolts. Can be done with car on the ground. Torque wrench needed. Fits every Yaris, yours included.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #11
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Let me know if you want european rear view mirrors + covers, or anything european in that matter.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
bentjazz

Thank you for the information, guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
bentjazz

NYC-SE, maybe you can fly down from NY to Cincy and help me with the installation. I'm slightly remedial when it comes to this kind of thing. :)

It was a MAJOR accomplishment when I changed the headlight in my Yaris.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Not to be a downer, but I would remind everyone that I was considering the rear sway bar for quite some time (TRD and Whiteline), but after hearing Jason's opinion on it, who has extensive experience with these cars where it really counts - the racetrack - I've decided to put the money elsewhere.

Just food for thought; take it for what it's worth.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Not to be a downer, but I would remind everyone that I was considering the rear sway bar for quite some time (TRD and Whiteline), but after hearing Jason's opinion on it, who has extensive experience with these cars where it really counts - the racetrack - I've decided to put the money elsewhere.

To be fair, a yaris isn't a track car. It's inherent design doesn't make for a good track car. Most of the weight on the front axle, most of the weight is ahead of the front axle anyway. At the end of the day, if you notice a difference with a sway bar and you like how it feels, that's all that matters, money well spent.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post

i would still recommend it. all off the shelf lowering springs have weakass spring rates. even though it just stiffens up the torsion beam, i love that it does help the car rotate.

Jason doesnt need it because he's running a billion lb/in rates with shocks that probably cost more than a used yaris.

A civic isn't a track car either m.f, but i'd like to see you catch a properly tuned econobox on a road course.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #17
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
i would still recommend it. all off the shelf lowering springs have weakass spring rates. even though it just stiffens up the torsion beam, i love that it does help the car rotate.

Jason doesnt need it because he's running a billion lb/in rates with shocks that probably cost more than a used yaris.

A civic isn't a track car either m.f, but i'd like to see you catch a properly tuned econobox on a road course.

Clarify: the Yaris wasn't designed with track performance in mind. At the end of the day, the Yaris is a simple fuel friendly daily. They have been made fast by tuners and that's great but Toyota's engineers didn't consider that. That's my whole point. Don't get me wrong, we all can make these cars fast and fun, just saying that the engineers and designers were taking a different approach.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
NYC-SE, maybe you can fly down from NY to Cincy and help me with the installation. I'm slightly remedial when it comes to this kind of thing. :)

It was a MAJOR accomplishment when I changed the headlight in my Yaris.
Sure buy me a ticket, lol. If I was nearby I would come over and give you a hand for sure but Cincy is a little too far away.

But seriously it's very simple to do. Just do a search there are plenty of posts here documenting all the steps.