Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Seeking Advice on Alternator or Repair

Hi.

I have the flickering battery light. My alternator puts out 13.9 - 14 V at idle and no charging problems but the daytime running lights are off. Member WeeYari confirmed that the DRLs can be off with a faulty voltage regulator. I read about the TSB to remove and clean the voltage regulator. Mine was very dirty and a lot of corrosion was present. After removing the regulator from the alternator and a thorough cleaning, I reinstalled and still have the battery light lit and no DRLs. I also cleaned the connector and it had quite a bit of corrosion on it too. The problem here is that if it is wiring/connector, I'm not sure how to test that.

I expect that this alternator is the original. I can pick up a voltage regulator for around $35.00 USD on eBay (knock off, not Toyota - or one of its OEM suppliers - for sure).

Would you recommend replacing the voltage regulator or just replacing with a reman alternator? I haven't priced locally, but CarQuest usually has good pricing and lifetime replacement warranty.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-09-2017 at 10:53 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote