Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Dperry

Drives: 2007 black yaris hb
new suspension...bouncy

i just installed the tokico blues with the tein s.techs on friday and the past two days just been cruisen around gettin the suspension worked in and settled and notice the rear is kinda bouncy. has anybody with the same suspension setup have the same thing?
Dperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
That's bcuz there new give it some time they'll fall into place and the ride will be stiff. Just relax gotta break them in when she is ready you will notice the difference.
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
I forgot to mention, I did have that set up and loved until a few months ago, changed the Teins for the TRD sportivo springs to raise the car a bit bcuz of the body in which the car was about an inch from the floor and I have 18 on mine. So I raised it but I do miss it, meaning the Teins
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I'm going to say that the shocks are probably under valved for the Tein springs, which would make the ride a little more bouncy. Tokico blues are basically stock replacement shocks, while I'm sure the Tein springs are a little more aggressive spring rate. If the shock valving can't keep up with the spring rate of the shocks, it can make the car feel alittle bouncy.

This is the reason why I usually prefer coilovers. The reds would probably help your situation because they're adjustable and a little more aggressive.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Dperry

the tokicos r way more stiff than a stock replacement. im sure anybody that has them or used them will agree.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Your springs are stiffer, your shocks may not be as hard to push down as your stock shocks but they are also new. Do some research, Tokico blues have been known as OEM replacement shocks for a long time now. They don't have the aggressive valving of say their red performance shocks. Sure they might be stiffer than your old stock shocks, but in terms of after market and shock performance they are for all intense and purposes.. OEM replacements. Is it a bad shock, no, not at all. It's just not as aggressive as performance shocks. This can lead to a bouncy ride because they are not absorbing the bounce of the spring because the compression and rebound settings are to low.

I've had Tokico blues on other cares, I've also run Koni Yellows, and full coilovers. The differences are noticeable.

Check out this article may have some helpful info in there for you to better understand what I'm saying.
Part 1 - http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...ech/index.html
Part 2 - http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...ech/index.html
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Tokico blues are basically stock replacement shocks
This is incorrect. They are quite a bit stiffer than stock, and slightly stiffer than TRD. OEM replacement shocks are made by KYB.

Your reasoning about bounciness is ok, but transferring what you know about Tokicos on other cars to the Yaris is not correct in this case.

The TEIN is not a performance spring, it's a pretty soft spring rate, especially given the aggressive drop.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Fair enough, I apologize about that. I'm sure they've made some changes since I've used them several years ago. The fact remains though, spring rates and shock rates need to be taken into account and will affect ride quality and handling characteristics.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

One other note, did you modify or reuse factory the bump stops? Did you cut them down if you reused them?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
so how does one make the rear spring stiffer.. rubber stopper? maybe.. my stock shocks with trd spring is rubbing on dips when 2 person is on the back seat..annoying really..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

What's rubbing your wheels? Bottoming out on your bump stops can make the car more bouncy also, because it's hitting the rubber bump stop before the suspension travel has had time to complete.

Higher spring rate / shocks with higher compression rate will stiffen the ride quite a bit.

Marcus, what shocks and springs are you running?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
Dperry

its only the rear that is bouncy and from talkin to a lot of ppl with any new suspension the ride is more bouncy until the springs settle and the shocks/struts are broken in so im not worried
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
What's rubbing your wheels? Bottoming out on your bump stops can make the car more bouncy also, because it's hitting the rubber bump stop before the suspension travel has had time to complete.

Higher spring rate / shocks with higher compression rate will stiffen the ride quite a bit.

Marcus, what shocks and springs are you running?
trd canadian, on stock shock..im rubbing on the fender even on my stock 15 rims. but only on dips and with 2 heavy people on the back
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
you may new to cut the bump stops if they are like the fronts on the yaris i know trd claims you dont need to too but it will ride like shit if you dont you need more shock travel for a better ride plain and simple
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
oh yeah bump stops!

Quote:
The fact remains though, spring rates and shock rates need to be taken into account and will affect ride quality and handling characteristics.
Definitely!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
trd canadian, on stock shock..im rubbing on the fender even on my stock 15 rims. but only on dips and with 2 heavy people on the back
Might want to try rolling your fenders, it's pretty easy with this tool from Next Level Motoring http://www.nlmotoring.com/Fender-Rol...ler-rental.htm , and by using a heat gun to keep your paint from popping and cracking as you roll the fender.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote