Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
andruboz
boohachimono

Drives: 07 hb
Send a message via AIM to andruboz
score! i did get a factory cruise control stalk with the column. i'll have to read up on the C.C. diy threads before i start wrenching on saturday.
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
score! i did get a factory cruise control stalk with the column. i'll have to read up on the C.C. diy threads before i start wrenching on saturday.
This one has all you need:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33750
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
andruboz
boohachimono

Drives: 07 hb
Send a message via AIM to andruboz
Woo Hoo! fixt. inspection sticker received. hundreds of $ saved . the crowd goes wild. thanks scott.

will do the cruise control stuff on another day. which scion leather steering wheel fits a yaris again? i forget. probably do both at the same time.
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
Just brought my 2007 HB checked at a local dealership due to SRS light on.

They told me one of the cable broken!!! I guess possible is the one you guys mention about.

The Service Adviser told me the part DOES NOT covered under warranty EVEN THOUGH I purchased 2 YEAR extended warranty.

And they want $500 on that cable!!! End up they charged me $127CAD for diagnostic!!! Damn...

Then I told them I will file a complain to Toyota Canada for not replacing this cable while it is part of SRS system

which should be cover under extended warranty, then I took the car home without anything being fix!!!!!
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorddr View Post
Just brought my 2007 HB checked at a local dealership due to SRS light on.

They told me one of the cable broken!!! I guess possible is the one you guys mention about.

The Service Adviser told me the part DOES NOT covered under warranty EVEN THOUGH I purchased 2 YEAR extended warranty.

And they want $500 on that cable!!! End up they charged me $127CAD for diagnostic!!! Damn...

Then I told them I will file a complain to Toyota Canada for not replacing this cable while it is part of SRS system

which should be cover under extended warranty, then I took the car home without anything being fix!!!!!
If you do the DIY that I posted towards the beginning of this thread, you can find out what the error code is and from there what needs to be checked and potentially replaced.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #24
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
Yea, I aware you have done a well written DIY for this issue before heading to my local dealership; however, I thought since I have already purchased extended warranty, I think should better let them fix it. Unfortunately the part itself is not under my coverage?! That's why I got charge on diagnostic; for instance if any other parts fail and cover under my warranty, I don't have to pay for diagnostic fee.
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorddr View Post
Yea, I aware you have done a well written DIY for this issue before heading to my local dealership; however, I thought since I have already purchased extended warranty, I think should better let them fix it. Unfortunately the part itself is not under my coverage?! That's why I got charge on diagnostic; for instance if any other parts fail and cover under my warranty, I don't have to pay for diagnostic fee.
I would definitely fight for getting it to be covered under warranty, but in case they won't you can save a lot of money by verifying what's bad and replacing it yourself.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #26
transcendentalcrap

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3d manual
Send a message via MSN to transcendentalcrap
Well after a bit of research, I found this thread and thought I'd add to it rather than start a new one.

My airbag light came on Friday while driving down the highway. What I have so far is a 51 code. I looked up the service manual and got the four possible problems:

1. Instrument Panel Wire
2. Spiral Cable
3. Speed Pad (Drivers Side Squib)
4. Center Airbag Sensor Assembly

I don't know if I'm tired from work or what but right now, I don't know what to do next. The manual is not making sense. . .
transcendentalcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendentalcrap View Post
Well after a bit of research, I found this thread and thought I'd add to it rather than start a new one.

My airbag light came on Friday while driving down the highway. What I have so far is a 51 code. I looked up the service manual and got the four possible problems:

1. Instrument Panel Wire
2. Spiral Cable
3. Speed Pad (Drivers Side Squib)
4. Center Airbag Sensor Assembly

I don't know if I'm tired from work or what but right now, I don't know what to do next. The manual is not making sense. . .
51 Is an issue with the driver's side squib circuit, so basically it is something in the wiring between the SRS ECU and the airbag. The most likely culprit is the spiral cable, so I would start by testing continuity between the squib connectors (with them disconnected) and the D3 connector on the steering column.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
transcendentalcrap

Thanks CTScott! I was tired--I put the manual reference page into the pdf file thinking that would be the right page. Doh!

The yaris met a white tail deer about 10 months ago; and since the repair I've had no problems until this past weekend. Off to buy a multimeter . . .
Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #29
tada

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
51 Is an issue with the driver's side squib circuit, so basically it is something in the wiring between the SRS ECU and the airbag. The most likely culprit is the spiral cable, so I would start by testing continuity between the squib connectors (with them disconnected) and the D3 connector on the steering column.
I'm now having this same problem on my '08 Hatchback. I'm getting a 3251 code. Could you elaborate a little more on where the squib connectors are, how to disconnect them, and the location of the D3 connector on the steering column? Is there are wiring diagram for this connection? Thanks in advance, Tom.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
I'm now having this same problem on my '08 Hatchback. I'm getting a 3251 code. Could you elaborate a little more on where the squib connectors are, how to disconnect them, and the location of the D3 connector on the steering column? Is there are wiring diagram for this connection? Thanks in advance, Tom.
To get to the squib connectors, you have to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. The D3 connector is under the lower steering column cover. The actual airbag connector is the yellow one (D18) next to D3.

The SRS section of the service manual shows how to get to both and has the wiring diagrams.
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #31
transcendentalcrap

I am reviving this thread.

My parents liked the yaris so much,they bought one last year. Now they're car suddenly lit the airbag light. It too gives a 51 code.

I cannot find any information that states this is a wide spread problem. Any rumors of a recall or other free fix?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendentalcrap View Post
I am reviving this thread.

My parents liked the yaris so much,they bought one last year. Now they're car suddenly lit the airbag light. It too gives a 51 code.

I cannot find any information that states this is a wide spread problem. Any rumors of a recall or other free fix?
I don't believe it is a widespread issue, but anytime you have an electrical cable that constantly flexes there is the chance for premature failure.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #33
spectra

Drives: 2007 Yaris
do you have a list of what the flashes mean?

My airbag light is stuck on, I have a jumper ready. But dont know what the flashes mean at this point.
spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra View Post
do you have a list of what the flashes mean?

My airbag light is stuck on, I have a jumper ready. But dont know what the flashes mean at this point.
The flashes are grouped to be two digit numbers (31, 13, 14, 21, 22, 23, 24, 32, 35, 37, 43, 45, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 73, and 74 are the possible codes you will see). The most common are 51 and 53 which indicate a problem with the primary (51) or secondary (53) driver's airbag squib wiring, which almost always turns out to be a bad spiral cable (AKA clockspring).

The list with the corresponding detection item is on page 45 of the SRS section of the service manual downloadable from here:

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
spectra

Drives: 2007 Yaris
thanks!

Mine went out while on an off road adventure towing a jet ski along the Colorado River last season.
spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #36
kebhen

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris with 184K
Got this one too......Have to get it checked out first. But, I am sure it will need work..
kebhen is offline   Reply With Quote