Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #109
JustDidIt

Drives: '08G2T Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
I can almost guarantee you, you'd be doing more harm then good by swapping to otto cycle cams in your engine. The prius is mainly powered by the electric engine, so to make that as efficient as possible the torque output on the gas engine needs remain a constant. The numbers I listed were WAG and so probably not accurate. Remember your gas engine isn't directly connected to the wheels, so its RPM's are also not a contant

Here is a website that explains how the HSD powersplit device works. Website

Upping the power on the gas engine doesn't help as much as you'd think since only torque at certain rpms provides assist. Since the engine only revs to 5k you'll be throwing away all the constant torque of the fxe to gain the peak torque of the fe all with major loss and no benefits. You have to think of the gas engine as a electricity generator/backup power unit rather than a PU. You can rev the nuts off the Prius engine and the car won't move unless the electric motor is moving.
TRD did it... with the Otto swap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDidIt View Post
.....Motor transplant shouldn't be difficult and was done by the Bonneville Landspeed Prius. They swapped the Otto Cycle 1NZ-FE from an Toyota Echo in but didn't do the Prius pistons swap. I'm looking to do both.
Quote:
You can rev the nuts off the Prius engine and the car won't move unless the electric motor is moving.
Not completely true...when the battery doesn't have enough juice to run the MG2, u can feel ONLY the gas engine struggling to push/pull the car along. With the battery charged enough from the regenerative braking from MG1, MG2 kicks in to assist the gas motor also boosting the inverter from 220v up to 500v.
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #110
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I don't think I've heard of the TRD Prius for one, I've heard of that random guy who build the Bonneville Prius and the really unsuccessful FSP Prius. For the Bonneville Prius using Otto cams helps move the powerband up which would help for top speed runs which require taller gearing.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #111
jetblast

Drives: Gen 1 XB
Now if someone just rips open a Prius and magically finds Carillo, Pauter, or even Molnar rods attached to these pistons. In that case, key up the Mission Impossible theme music as I put on the black spandex from my early spy days. Into the local junkyard all night long to harvest the jewels.....hey, this spandex used to fit.

C'mon! I can dream!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #112
JustDidIt

Quote:
I don't think I've heard of the TRD Prius for one, I've heard of that random guy who build the Bonneville Prius and the really unsuccessful FSP Prius. For the Bonneville Prius using Otto cams helps move the powerband up which would help for top speed runs which require taller gearing.
I was referring the to Bonneville Prius...and I'm pretty sure these guys weren't random...

Quote:
Toyota's Landspeed Prius gas-electric hybrid vehicle debuted in Bonneville, Utah as the first production hybrid to race across the Bonneville Salt Flats. The advanced technology of the popular hybrid mid-size sedan was taken to another level as Car and Driver editor Aaron Robinson drove the modified Prius on the three-mile short course, and set a hybrid record speed of 130.794 miles per hour. Other Landspeed Prius drivers included Prius executive chief engineer Shigeyuki Hori, and Fumiaki Kobayashi, group vice president technical and regulatory affairs, Toyota Motor North America, Inc. A Bonneville veteran Jim Leininger, a Toyota field product engineer, served as crew chief, while Dr. Hori kept a watchful eye on the project The Landspeed Prius' historical run also paved the way for a hybrid class to run at Bonneville.
Quote:
(1.5L otto cycle motor swap from echo, modified intake routing, JDM TRD ECU, inverter upgrade, final gear changes, transmission cooling system, custom 1-off suspension, larger front diameter tires and custom exhaust)
Bonneville LandSpeed specs:

Quote:
The Landspeed Prius ran a stock "Hybrid Synergy Drive" powertrain, which integrates a large electric motor with a 1.5-liter gasoline engine. The transmission final drive gear ratio for the gas engine was modified from the stock 4.23:1 to 3.2, while the inverter voltage was increased to 550 volts from 500 volts. The engine redline was also changed for optimum performance.

A transmission cooling system was added to the front passenger area to decrease the temperature of the inverter and electric motors and maximize efficiency. Regular ice was constantly added to the system to prevent overheating. Ambient temperature on the salt flats was nearly 100 degrees with nearly 100 degrees humidity.

Other modifications included the removal of the interior, the addition of a roll cage and lowering the suspension five inches for improved aerodynamics. The Landspeed Prius incorporates custom Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. The inner fender wells were also altered to accommodate the lowered ride height.

The Landspeed Prius is equipped with unique 26-inch front and 25-inch rear Goodyear Eagle Landspeed Record tires.

To prepare for Bonneville's race environment the Landspeed Prius had a removable front tow bar and rear pushbar installed to assist the vehicle to the track.

Toyota will display the Landspeed Prius at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

ENGINE

* Gasoline Engine 1.5-liter, 4-cylinder, twin-cam, DOHC 16-valve
EFI with VVT-i, aluminum-alloy block and head

* Torque 97 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

* Horsepower 96 hp @ 5,800 rpm

ELECTRIC MOTOR/GENERATOR/POWER STORAGE

* Motor Type Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor

* Electric Motor Power Output 50kW/1,2000 - 1,540 rpm

* Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 1-1,200 rpm

* Battery type Nickel-metal hydride

* System voltage 550 volts maximum from original 500

SUSPENSION
* Front Independent MacPherson strut suspension with
stabilizer bar Eibach Racing coil springs,
Bilstein shock absorbers

* Rear Torsion Beam with stabilizer bar, Eibach
Racing coil springs, Bilstein shock absorbers

* Tires 25 and 26-inch Goodyear Eagle Landspeed Record tires
SCCA Solo2 F Street Prepared Prius Specs:

Quote:
This basic fact sheet covers the F street Prepared 2004 Prius team layout, modifications and basic vehicle specifications. This is a preliminary fact sheet and subject to changes and/or revisions.

Team:
Owner/ Crew chief- Jim Leininger

Quote:
When it comes to Toyota-powered hot rods, it's hard to find anybody more knowledgeable than Jim Leininger. Jim has been racing at Bonneville since the '60s and is a field product engineer for Toyota.
Owner/ Driver- Matt Leininger
Co-driver/ fabricator- Mike Nakata

Logistics and back-up driver- Jose Alfaro

Modifications:

Drivetrain: Engine: Internal- Stock
External- modified intake routing in style of Toyota Motorsports Bonneville Prius. Further modified ECU controls (hi rpm redline, altered fuel and spark map) under development. TRD Yaris Header, Custom intake manifold w/ large bore thottle body under development.
Transaxle: Custom Weismann 1-way locking differential

Chassis: Interior: Motorsports Technical Center 6-point chromoly bolt in roll cage, Sparco Corsa racing seats, custom seat tracks; Sparco 383 Suede Steering wheel w/ billet touring car quick disconnect.

Exterior: TRD Japan front spoiler, TRD Japan custom flared front fenders. Custom rolled rear fenders. Custom graphics designed by Matt Leininger, applied by Molly Designs.

Suspension: Custom TRD USA adjustable coil over dampeners, tuned and valved by Progress Technologies. Eibach springs (325 lb/in front, 650 lb/in, rear). Front camber adjusters, modified rear sway bar.

Wheels: WedsSport Satin TC-005 one piece spun forged- 17x 8.5”, custom offset.

Tires: Dry- Hoosier AS305 225/45R17
Wet- Bridgestone RE750, shaved 225/45R17

Brakes: Modified Hawk Performance brake pads- “black compound”
Motul Synthetic hi-temp brake fluid.

Basic Specifications: Race weight, wet- 2772lbs (stock, dry- 2890lbs)
Weight distribution- 56/44 percent (stock, 59/41)
Overall height- 56.3in
Ground Clearence- 3.1in

Last edited by JustDidIt; 03-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #113
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast View Post
Now if someone just rips open a Prius and magically finds Carillo, Pauter, or even Molnar rods attached to these pistons. In that case, key up the Mission Impossible theme music as I put on the black spandex from my early spy days. Into the local junkyard all night long to harvest the jewels.....hey, this spandex used to fit.

C'mon! I can dream!!!!!!
Thats the spirit!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #114
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
It's fun to watch where this is heading...
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #115
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
It's fun to watch where this is heading...
I'm just"gonna"doit - I may wait on buying my wheels if I can get a better understanding of this otto swap concept. :) Still haven't heard back from my 1NZ head source. :(
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #116
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I look for omens...

...little signs that say "go", "stop", or "go back and try another way".
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #117
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
justdidit, were you looking for a head?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #118
JustDidIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
justdidit, were you looking for a head?
Technically still need one. Found a awesome deal on a 2012 1NZ-FE but I haven't heard back if they will ship it to me or if I need to drive up to the LA area to pick it up. Not so much ur neck of the 'woods' but more east LA. Either way I am still needing one.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #119
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Don't know if it's in here, but this site sells Toyota OEM Prius pistons for $51 a piece:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...mponent=PISTON
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote