Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Question TACH-cluster replacement-resetting ODO?

Just bought a replacement instrument cluster from an auto recycler (with the tach, mph, abs light - 125 dollars) for my 3door base model whose cluster lacks a tach (which I consider a necesscity for any car with manual transmission).

I am capable of replacing the cluster myself. Where I'm feeling concern is based on my reading of a multiplicity of posts on this topic which indicate - that the cluster will hold on to what ever mileage it has registered and not "pick up" the ODO mileage from the ECU.

Since my car only has 5K miles on the clock, and the replacement cluster is likely to have many more miles than that-

Is it possible for the dealer to reset the cluster ODO to match the ECU miles via their computer system access?

Any techs out there with THE KNOWLEDGE.

Of cause my dealer claims this can't be done- just like they claimed they couldn't turn off the seat belt chime- right before they turned it off.

Many guys here have posted that you've done this switch- any one been successful in getting your cluster ODO to reset?

Thanks in advance.

Lewis

Last edited by Lewis; 08-10-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
i know mike has done it to his 09. i think he said the dealer had to restore the memory from the ecu to the gauge cluster or something to that effect.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

yes successful swaps are legion here. but as far i know no one has figured out how to get the cluster to "pick up" the ecu ODO reading.

any help with that would be greatly appreciated on this end!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The dealer can definitely do it with the Techstream tool. It says so in the service manual.

Someone here who experimented with swapping one had it pick up the correct mileage from the ECM, others have not. The difference between it having done so or not appeared to be whether the person disconnected the battery when doing the swap. The person who said that it picked it up, disconnected the battery, the others did not.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

looks like i'll be disconnecting the battery when i do the switch- with my fingers and toes crossed!

thanks for the tip CT- i love this website!

GREAT WAY TO SHARE EXPERIENCE
Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I've done numerous ipc swaps at work (customer abuse and also stress cracks/weak plastic fascias) on GM's, Toyotas, nissans, fords, they all were jsut plug n play, never an issue with the new ipc not showing the correct mileage. however these were all identical parts (replace same for same), but I dunno what sets apart a $400 ford or Gm cluster against a $400 toyota cluster when it comes to holding info.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

As a side note, a while back nickhjort sent me some pics from when we were trying to figure out if we could get the 07-08 clusters to drive cruise control lights.

Looking back though the pics recently I realized that the cluster has a "core" module with the microcontroller on it, which is plugged into a "carrier" board (i.e. the big circuit board with the lights and speedo). The mileage on the cluster end is stored in flash memory within this microcontroller. If the cold boot via battery disconnect doesn't work, It may be possible to move the core over from the old to new cluster. The question is if the microcontroller is programmed generically and it drives whatever is available on the carrier it is plugged into, or if it is programmed specifically for the carrier.

Speed Core.jpg
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

why would this matter if by disconnecting the battery you pick up what you need from the ECU?

Just wondering.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
why would this matter if by disconnecting the battery you pick up what you need from the ECU?

Just wondering.
If disconnecting the battery really works then it is a moot point.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
that the cluster will hold on to what ever mileage it has registered and not "pick up" the ODO mileage from the ECU.
That is correct. I don't even have an ECU in the car any more (standalone management for my project) - the gauge cluster holds the mileage, and the speedometer and fuel gauge still work.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
That is correct. I don't even have an ECU in the car any more (standalone management for my project) - the gauge cluster holds the mileage, and the speedometer and fuel gauge still work.
The cluster can operate independently of the ECM (or in your case in lack of the ECM). The ECM also stores the 3 mileage values in its FLASH ROM. When the cluster is swapped the two will disagree. The question is what happens at that point - Does the ECM simply update its values from the new cluster, does it stop updating them until something is done to rectify the mismatch, or can it force the cluster to take its values?

The people who swapped the clusters hot, saw the clusters' mileage remain. The one person who was told to disconnect the battery by the junk yard dudes saw the cluster mileage change to his correct mileage on power-up.

The service manual makes no reference to this or to the procedure for updating the cluster's mileage. It does mention using the Techstream tool to update the ECM's mileage after it is replaced, but nothing about the cluster.

At this point, I'd like to see a second person disconnect the battery before performing the swap to see what the result is.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

That will be me CT-

As soon as it arrives in the mail from the online auto recycler (sounds SO much better than junkyard!).

I'll share with the group as soon as I try it.

Also I have a manual trans car (duh- why I want the tach in the first place)- but the cluster I found was from an auto trans car (liked the price- only 125 all in). I was told it simply will not light in the PDRL quad. I'll confirm that one way or the other too and of cause how well all the features (ABS light etc.) work. Since I have a base 3 door I will not be able to report on the cruise control light.

I'm pretty optimistic based on others' experience here but still holding my breath that I'm not wasting my time. I, being the cautous person I am did get the yard to agree on a return ahead of time in writing if it doesn't work.

Lewis

Last edited by Lewis; 08-10-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

The people who swapped the clusters hot, saw the clusters' mileage remain. The one person who was told to disconnect the battery by the junk yard dudes saw the cluster mileage change to his correct mileage on power-up.

At this point, I'd like to see a second person disconnect the battery before performing the swap to see what the result is.
Think there's a way to back-track this? I didn't think to disconnect the battery when I swapped my '09 cluster for the '09 "S" cluster and now I'm kicking myself.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
walterokus

Drives: Toyota New Yaris 1.5 VVT-I
Quote:
As a side note, a while back nickhjort sent me some pics from when we were trying to figure out if we could get the 07-08 clusters to drive cruise control lights.

Looking back though the pics recently I realized that the cluster has a "core" module with the microcontroller on it, which is plugged into a "carrier" board (i.e. the big circuit board with the lights and speedo). The mileage on the cluster end is stored in flash memory within this microcontroller. If the cold boot via battery disconnect doesn't work, It may be possible to move the core over from the old to new cluster. The question is if the microcontroller is programmed generically and it drives whatever is available on the carrier it is plugged into, or if it is programmed specifically for the carrier.

Attachment 27136

Hi mi name eis walter and from Santiago de Chile South Americas
I change my yaris cluster 2007 is changed by a cluster of yaris 2009.
cluster 07 years' -> http://i29.tinypic.com/2uz8bcx.jpg
cluster 09 years' -> http://i25.tinypic.com/144cqyq.jpg

cluster 09 'works great on the yaris 07'
http://i27.tinypic.com/2uz9lza.jpg

my cluster 07 'with the ODO = 18,500 km, and the cluster 09' is ODO = 5500 km,

if I change the cards that control the ODO, the card 07 in the replacement cluster 09, I left my true mileage?
walterokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
Think there's a way to back-track this? I didn't think to disconnect the battery when I swapped my '09 cluster for the '09 "S" cluster and now I'm kicking myself.
Well you've definitely disconnected the battery since the swap with all of the seat troubleshooting, so it definitely looks like after the fact doesn't work for that theory.

At this point, other than the Techstream tool method, the only DIY method that might work is the core swap that I mentioned above. Before anyone actually tests that theory snap a pair of pics of the core (front and back) like the ones below, so I can look for any differences that may cause bad things to happen.

Core - Front.jpg

Core - Rear.jpg
Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

MGargano - Here's another idea: Put your old cluster back in (without disconnecting the battery). Drive around for a little while with it in. Then, disconnect the battery, re-install the new one, cross your finger, and power it back up.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
dang scott..didnt think to do that! i still havent had my mileage updated. and i tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins and it didnt work.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
MGargano - Here's another idea: Put your old cluster back in (without disconnecting the battery). Drive around for a little while with it in. Then, disconnect the battery, re-install the new one, cross your finger, and power it back up.
I think I'll give this method a shot first. I don't think I need anymore electrical problems at the moment...one thing at a time
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote