Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #19
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Looking good. You're moving quickly.

I guess I would have removed the rear mud flaps rather than taping them.
Yeah, it's coming along. Haha, yes, removing them would have been more wise for sure. I just didn't want to take the wheel off to get to the screws. I suppose I could have used a stubby screwdriver. Incidentally, I did later remove the wheels to check the condition of the rear brakes. My pedal is a tad soft and I thought I'd poke around in there and play with the adjusted a bit. I did tighten them up a bit but still have a bit of pedal softness. I have to say that this car is indeed the easiest car I have worked on. Well designed and intuitive. Removing the drums was a joke with a couple 8Mx1.25 bolts.

The pads are a bit worn, but since this thing is so easy to work on, it should be a snap to install my new brake parts.

I'm thinking I might bleed the brakes soon and see if that stiffens up the pedal. I haven't owned a drum brake equipped car in eons. Will have to research how to bleed the system. Calipers are easy with the bleeder screws. During my quick inspection I didn't see such an item on the wheel cylinder. I also adjusted my handbrake and that, at first, seemed to help, but after a short drive it was a bit soft again.

Enough rambling...

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-24-2017 at 06:34 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
We live in Beaver Harbour, near St. George/Pennfield.
Beautiful country. Been a lifer there?

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #21
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Looking good m8 cant wait to see finished product
Old 09-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #22
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Beautiful country. Been a lifer there?

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Yes, we love it. My wife and I are originally from Fredericton. About a dozen years ago I took a teaching position on Grand Manan; I'd been in Manitoba teaching for the decade prior to that. I then requested and received a transfer off the island. We lived in Back Bay for 2 years, then finally Beaver Harbour. I've always loved this area for it rugged coastlines and ocean views. We lucked out and picked up a great property on the water. Our kids are both born Charlotte County'ers'.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #23
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
Looking good m8 cant wait to see finished product
Thanks hairygityeti! Can't say I'm completely happy with the finished product. I'm no body man, that's for sure. I got a little overzealous on the final coats of base coat and got some more concentrated areas of metalic flake (too close with the can in a few spots. Also, there are a couple of areas on the liftgate that had minor bumps that weren't visible until the final clearcoat was applied. I may wait a week or two and resand, fix the small bumps and repaint. Overall, it looks pretty good though. The bumper hasn't been wet sanded and polished yet, so it's a bit flat looking. Plus, have some overspray to contend with.

I'll take a couple more pics in better lighting later.

Ain't the little Yaris, cute? Haha

Over the winter, I am going to restore the wheels. They are in very good shape but a few scratches. here and there.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-11-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #24
06YarisRS

Finished Sills and Rustproofing

I have finished the painted and clear coated sills by applying Trimbrite heavy paint protection film. This stuff goes on great with a heat gun and quite easily wraps around the contours.

I drilled a couple more holes in the c-pillars and 'injected' a bunch of Rust Check red. Then I dumped about a half liter of ATF in with my trans funnel. After a few seconds it started to drip out into my pans. My rockers (front to back), wheelhouses and interior wheel well seams should now be thoroughly soaked with ATF/Rust Check.

Rocker panels:

Rear quarter panels and dogleg area:

I also started the cleaning process. This car was filthy. The seats produced a of couple gallons of very dirty brown water in my shopvac. I will tackle the back tomorrow.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-14-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #25
06YarisRS

Floor Liners...

I shopped around on eBay and picked up floor liners, buying the fronts and rear from different sellers. Total was around $100.00 USD. I would have preferred black but the grey ones were quite a bit cheaper (Gotta stay within budget, you know, haha). If I'd gone with tan, I would have saved more, tan, nah.

These are Aries StyleGuard and seem really well made. They WILL NOT MOVE once positioned. In fact, they are really hard to position initially because if they contact and carpet at all, it's like they are glued down. The fit is as good as weathertech IMO.

I see that I am going to have to do another round of upholstry extracting. These seats were really dirty and this is after one intense cleaning.

Also, picked up a cheap arm rest/console for $32.00 USD

Finally, a smartphone adapter for the stock radio

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-24-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
06YarisRS

Painted Calipers

After breaking a bleeder screw off attempting to flush brakes, I thought that rather than sink into depression, I'd do something non labour intensive - and most of all, safe for our little Yaris. I'll pick up a wheel cylinder - probably 2 tomorrow, if available locally.

Procedure:
- brake cleaner and towel off
- wire brush
- painted on phosphoric acid and let sit 30 minutes
- Washed off and brake cleaner again
- 3 coats Ace Hardware heat resistant BBQ paint

I've used this paint for a few years now and providing that a proper prep job is done, it will stand up really well. At wheel change time, I'll give them a quick once over with the wire brush, brake cleaner and respray them. Often they just need a cleaning to get rid of the brake dust and they're nice and clean again.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-24-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #27
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Your car is really coming along nicely and looking great.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
06YarisRS

Quote:
Thanks Kimona! I'm sure having fun with it. Well, except the broken bleeder screw. I'll try to source a pair of wheel cylinders locally. Failing that, the poor old Yaris will be driveway-bound for another week, sadly.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #29
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
+1

I am, however, confused about the mats. Aries StyleGuard? They look exactly like my 3D Maxpider Kagu mats. In fact, I can see part of the 3D logo in the pic of the passenger side. Thought maybe it was a reference to the material used, or something like that, so I pulled up the ad for them and didn't see any mention of 'Aries StyleGuard'

In any case, they are fantastic, and again, the car is really coming along nicely.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #30
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
+1

I am, however, confused about the mats. Aries StyleGuard? They look exactly like my 3D Maxpider Kagu mats. In fact, I can see part of the 3D logo in the pic of the passenger side. Thought maybe it was a reference to the material used, or something like that, so I pulled up the ad for them and didn't see any mention of 'Aries StyleGuard'

In any case, they are fantastic, and again, the car is really coming along nicely.
Thanks. I'm enjoying working on the car. I replaced my passenger side wheel cylinder today and bled the line. It was a very easy job, thankfully.

I think that maybe the floor liners are distributed through a couple of brand names. Here's a pic of the logo on my mats:

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-25-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #31
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Ah, how interesting. Same 3D logo, but mine don't have the Aries marking. I wonder what the difference, if any, there is between the Maxpider Kagu and Aries series? From the pics, they look identical. You might be right, it could just be a branding change.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #32
06YarisRS

Quote:
Ah, how interesting. Same 3D logo, but mine don't have the Aries marking. I wonder what the difference, if any, there is between the Maxpider Kagu and Aries series? From the pics, they look identical. You might be right, it could just be a branding change.
It would seem so. I'm liking them quite a bit. We shall see how well they clean up and how long they last/how durable the top layer is. I like the WeatherTechs, but they do get scratched up pretty badly after a few years use.

As an aside, I got the other wheel cylinder installed and bled that station. Now all I have to contend with are the bleeder screws on the calipers. I haven't even tried them but I do have a can of ReleaseAll, I think it's called. I'm pretty sure it helped free up the brake fasteners.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-24-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #33
06YarisRS

Quote:
Well, I'm not super impressed with these mats. My kids somehow seem to be little gravel magnets and bring them in on their shoes. The back mat already has a few unremoveable scratches. My van liners on the other hand - subject to the same gravel assault, and equipped with WeatherTechs - are in prefect shape despite being much older. The Aries ones look great, but I'm having doubts about their durability. Frankly, I'm wishing I'd shelled out more bucks and got the weatherTechs.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #34
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Thumbs up Old and beautiful

She is looking excellent i am jealous mines an old series 1 but she is a good work horse!. I live near the North sea so cars here tend to rust badly so im jealous and love what you have achieved,dont put yourself down spraying with cans is not easy for many at least you avoided runs and sags i am thinking of under sealing mine to slow down the rust she is 18 years old,keep up the good work

Last edited by hairygityeti; 09-24-2017 at 05:15 AM. Reason: correction
hairygityeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #35
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
She is looking excellent i am jealous mines an old series 1 but she is a good work horse!. I live near the North sea so cars here tend to rust badly so im jealous and love what you have achieved,dont put yourself down spraying with cans is not easy for many at least you avoided runs and sags i am thinking of under sealing mine to slow down the rust she is 18 years old,keep up the good work
Thanks a lot hairygetyeti! I love the series one. My wife had an Echo and despite being completely neglected (this was before we met, of course ) it lasted for years and years and had close to 300000 km on it. After we got together, we kept the car for a couple of years. I did a quick fiberglass and bondo rear rocker panel repair on the Echo before selling it. I could push my finger through the dogleg area and it was basically the paint and primer that was holding everything together. When I sold it, I told the buyer that I'd drenched it on the inside with motor oil. I advised that he do that at least annually. Other than that rust, the underbody of her echo was in excellent shape. We too live by the ocean but it's more the tons of road salt they lay down that gets to our cars. I really wish they would find an alternative, less corrosive de-icer.

Can you get access to Fluid Film near you? It's a bit costly unless you buy by the gallon and use a sprayer and compressor. I have purchased FF when on sale in the 11oz spray cans and I bet you could do a Yaris completely with about 3 cans. I've also bought the gallon (went halves with our old principal), heated it up and sprayed 4 -5 cars.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #36
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Thumbs up Car surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks a lot hairygetyeti! I love the series one. My wife had an Echo and despite being completely neglected (this was before we met, of course ) it lasted for years and years and had close to 300000 km on it. After we got together, we kept the car for a couple of years. I did a quick fiberglass and bondo rear rocker panel repair on the Echo before selling it. I could push my finger through the dogleg area and it was basically the paint and primer that was holding everything together. When I sold it, I told the buyer that I'd drenched it on the inside with motor oil. I advised that he do that at least annually. Other than that rust, the underbody of her echo was in excellent shape. We too live by the ocean but it's more the tons of road salt they lay down that gets to our cars. I really wish they would find an alternative, less corrosive de-icer.

Can you get access to Fluid Film near you? It's a bit costly unless you buy by the gallon and use a sprayer and compressor. I have purchased FF when on sale in the 11oz spray cans and I bet you could do a Yaris completely with about 3 cans. I've also bought the gallon (went halves with our old principal), heated it up and sprayed 4 -5 cars.
Its prity bad corrosion under her rear but no holes i will probs use a can off black under seal and cover her ass, with my car its just delaying the inevitable shes had one new wing and new door sill so she still solid although i might paint the petrol tank with fibre fill mixed with resin cos of slight leak on a full tank.As for the rock salt on the roads " ditto "Lets hope we have another mild winter