Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
DJman

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 Auto
Brakes Disks and Pads Cost for Yaris 2012

Hello all,

My yaris has 72.000klm, and the last time I went for the annual service,
the Toyota technician told me I had to change Brakes Disks and Pads for all 4 wheels. I have changed Brake Disks at 40.000 (but I can't remember if I have changed pads-I think I have changed them once close to 30.000 but I am not sure)

I remember when I had a Peugeot 206 (2005 model) I changed the brake disks once at 100.000

Both cars ,Toyota and Yaris, where/are automatic and 1300-1400cc, and where driven only for short distances in the city(with medium to high traffic).

Why the yaris needs so soon brake disks change? Is there another member with the same model, so he can answer me?

Thank you
Manos
DJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Brake pad and disc or rotor life is very dependent on your driving style and where you drive. If you drive mostly in the city and drive more aggressively then you'll have shorter lifespan compared to somebody who drives mostly highway and has a relaxed driving style. At 72k km it's possible that you've worn out the front pads. Are you sure you have rear disc brakes? I believe only the high end sport model has rear disc brakes, most models have rear drum brakes which can last for over 200k km. Ask the mechanic how much brake pad thickness is remaining, and why they suggest replacing the rotors.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
DJman

Well, we are 3 people driving this car mostly in the city on busy times , but either way the disk brakes lifespan is shorter than the peugeot 206 we had (which also was driven by the same 3 person),also the same routes.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Do you trust this mechanic?
Old 09-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
DJman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Do you trust this mechanic?
The mechanic is in the Toyota Car Dealership.I don't know him personally

But I have news. I visited another mechanic who has been servicing my 2006 Mercedes C200 and he told me 250euros(parts+work) for 4 disk pads and 4 brake disks.

Then he checked the brake pads, and told me that I only need to change the pads. Total cost for 4 pads and work, 120 euros.So i did it.

I don't understand what is going on.I really trust my Mercedes mechanic, because I service my car ther from 2006