Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I guess I've got a different take on this. As any car approaches 100K miles, I start thinking about replacing it. It doesn't matter if I love the car, it's in excellent condition, and has given me zero problems. Sad to see it go, but the relationship is over.
Why is that? Sheer boredom?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ No. I could drive a car for years and not get bored with it. I just want to reduce the potential for problems on the road... especially knowing my wife drives the car. That's all.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #21
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^why but such a reliable car then? Wouldn't you get more from your money by going with say a Hyundai fully loaded for the same price as a compatible toyota?

I'm just thinking if you are only going to put 100k on it than an engine that last well over 300k isn't a big feature for you and you end up paying for something you don't need?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #22
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
^why but such a reliable car then? Wouldn't you get more from your money by going with say a Hyundai fully loaded for the same price as a compatible toyota?

I'm just thinking if you are only going to put 100k on it than an engine that last well over 300k isn't a big feature for you and you end up paying for something you don't need?
+1

Additionally, I'm a AAA member because any car, even a new one, can fail going down the road.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #23
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Yeah. If i was a 100,000 car person i think i'd drive a Kia. They normally start dropping to bits at a little over 100,000 miles and they are pretty cheap/well equipped.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #24
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Past cars tend to be pretty fallen apart by the time it reaches 10 years old. Though, both my Yaris and my parent's Camry are 12 years old and still solid, no rust.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #25
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Out of all the cars I have owned in 36 or so years of driving, only my 5-spd manual 2000 Accord EX Sedan was kept past 100K miles, & really only because I had completely lost interest in cars for a certain period of time in my life when various other things were going on & occupying all my time. I bought the Accord new in 2000 for cash & sold it privately in 2015, just shy of 200K miles, before picking up my manual 2015 Yaris SE.

I haven't decided when I will get my next car, but it will likely be my first automatic ever, but will only happen when I finally do decide to go that route & can find that elusive, reliable, subcompact/compact make/model that doesn't turn me off with stupid styling and excessive features that I don't want. The thought of getting a CVT is discouraging though, as it seems somewhat foolhardy to own one past the powertrain warranty period, given the high random premature failure rate of them across all brands/models (more so in some than others, however). The more I read about CVT's & research them, the more convinced I am that they are only something to consider on a new 2-3 year lease vehicle. I wish Toyota would switch some models back to traditional time-tested automatics, or at least offer the option. There are some rumors that the next-gen Auris/iM will get a regular automatic version, but I'm not sure if that applies to the US-spec one or not.

On the flip side, most everything I have read about the alternatively-designed ECVT's in various Toyota's hybrids seem to suggest that they are very reliable. Another reason to wish that all Toyota models had a hybrid version here in the U.S. - as Toyota promised they would do by 2025.

Last edited by Kalispel; 02-12-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #26
daddz07

Drives: Yaris 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to daddz07
I bought mine brand spanking new since 2008 and I still have it for 123k original miles on it and still looking good..if I buy another toy I'll keep mine...this is my gas saver.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
daddz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #27
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
Only negative on the Yaris is cabin noise.
That can be fixed by using dynamat, then a layer of closed cell foam, then a layer of mass loaded vinyl. But you gotta do the same thing in the trunk as well. And try to get it as far up the inside of the firewall as you possibly can.

But this thread has convinced me that I'm probably never going to sell the Yaris. I live in the south so rust is never an issue. Our Yaris has only ever had any real issues with the front suspension, and the rubber seals around the car. Both the rear door seals (sedan) have let go, but I just used RTV silicone and now they are back in place. The ones that run along both sides of the roof popped up. Siliconed them back down as well. The rubber seal for the windshield wiper cowl, also came loss and started flapping around. More RTV. Now the front passenger door window seal has cracked. That will actually have to be replaced with a new one. But none of this is any real big deal. On the front suspension, I've had to replace all 4 control arms, and I'll start a new thread about the shock tower issue I'm having.

I think I'm going to buy me a yaris though. Right now the wife and I kind of share one, but when she's not home I drive an 87 chevy truck that I've done endless work to and that I love.

But I need me a gas saver, nice little car. Often times I won't go somewhere, just because all I have to drive is a truck from the 1980's. Its fine on shorter trips like around town, but if I want to go to the city, ugh. Its not so great. Not as comfortable, and not nearly as easy to drive. So I wanted to ask about the Yaris sedan sales in the U.S. Didn't they stop selling the sedan in the U.S for awhile? And now they've started again? Don't know the full story. But I can't do one of the newer ones, I can't abide that giant open mouth they have for a front bumper. So I want to get the latest year that I can, that doesn't have that front bumper. Which year should I be looking for? What is the latest year that I can get in the U.S, with no giant gaping front bumper? (only looking for sedan)
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #28
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
. So at what mileage, would you consider selling your yaris? Even if you were just going to go out and buy yet another Yaris to replace it. Is there some general knowledge of when these engines typically fail? Even if maintained properly.
My goal for my Yaris is much different than a lot of what I’m reading on this post. I’ll be 62 this year and I hope this will be my last car. It only has 48,000 miles on it and only driving about 20 miles a week frequently a mile Or two to the store and back. Not a good scenario to rack up a lot of miles and about the best way to ruin a car there is!

Not only that, about the only thing I can do anymore is change the oil. Even changing the headlight bulbs or the brake light bulbs Might be out of the question. Oh for the days of my 74 Beatle when I could rebuild the engine, swap out the transmission, and repair a head on collision with a bent front axle all by myself!

I chose the Yaris because being a Toyota hopefully it’ll be unlikely I have to work on it. Although so far it’s needed a new water pump and a new oil pressure switch. Everyone talks about their Yaris with X number of hundred thousand miles on it and good for them. I put 250,000 miles on my beetle before rusted out. I’m hoping to get 100,000 miles before I can’t drive anymore And hoping and praying nothing else will go wrong that the dealer or shop will have to fix.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #29
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
i'll replace mine when its dead...as in totaled or rotten

If I hurt the motor, I'll replace it, likewise for everything else mechanical

Would I get another one? Depends on my life at the moment. Right now if its gets totaled this week Id consider a new Fit, wife just got one a few months ago and I really like it. Kinda covers my minivan desires, small car, practical, and economy wants while being modern, safe and room for my baby on the way.

On the other hand I reallly want a LS400. I almost traded the Yaris for a MINT 92 blue LS400 a year ago, but the deal fell thru.

It has 139k on it atm, I hope to see 300k before i have to part ways. Bought it brand new

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #30
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
I dont plan on selling my yaris, two events would likely lead to me "trying" to sell it.

I find a mint 2010 Mazda Rx8 R3 in aurora blue/ 86 Buick grand Natty for a decent price AND I have property to store it

I upgrade my seat time car to something else (which I don't feel is necessary)

the only other situation where'd id get rid of the yaris is in the most likely of cases, I roll or crash the thing and make it worthless to restore.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #31
bairjo

I would have to say that the longevity of any machine depends on the maintenance that has been performed, service conditions, and driving habits of the driver. I plan on keeping my 2010, which only has about 137,000 miles on it for many years to come. However, once the thing starts to nickel and dime me, i figure it will be time to reinvest in a vehicle that I can be sure will not leave me stranded. Keep in mind, that day will not come as soon as many other cars out there.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #32
ern-diz

Quote:
That can be fixed by using dynamat, then a layer of closed cell foam, then a layer of mass loaded vinyl. But you gotta do the same thing in the trunk as well. And try to get it as far up the inside of the firewall as you possibly can.

But this thread has convinced me that I'm probably never going to sell the Yaris. I live in the south so rust is never an issue. Our Yaris has only ever had any real issues with the front suspension, and the rubber seals around the car. Both the rear door seals (sedan) have let go, but I just used RTV silicone and now they are back in place. The ones that run along both sides of the roof popped up. Siliconed them back down as well. The rubber seal for the windshield wiper cowl, also came loss and started flapping around. More RTV. Now the front passenger door window seal has cracked. That will actually have to be replaced with a new one. But none of this is any real big deal. On the front suspension, I've had to replace all 4 control arms, and I'll start a new thread about the shock tower issue I'm having.

I think I'm going to buy me a yaris though. Right now the wife and I kind of share one, but when she's not home I drive an 87 chevy truck that I've done endless work to and that I love.

But I need me a gas saver, nice little car. Often times I won't go somewhere, just because all I have to drive is a truck from the 1980's. Its fine on shorter trips like around town, but if I want to go to the city, ugh. Its not so great. Not as comfortable, and not nearly as easy to drive. So I wanted to ask about the Yaris sedan sales in the U.S. Didn't they stop selling the sedan in the U.S for awhile? And now they've started again? Don't know the full story. But I can't do one of the newer ones, I can't abide that giant open mouth they have for a front bumper. So I want to get the latest year that I can, that doesn't have that front bumper. Which year should I be looking for? What is the latest year that I can get in the U.S, with no giant gaping front bumper? (only looking for sedan)
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the sedans ran until 2012 here in the US. If I'm not mistaken, it was all hatchback after that through present day, which have the big fish mouths.

Here's a lower mile 2012 example in my area going for $7,500, which I would think is top dollar.

Here's a happy little 2010 for just under $5,900.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #33
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
2012 eh? Well that should work out fine. Old enough to be somewhat inexpensive, new enough to be able to find one with lower mileage.

Which one is the best model? Can't get one that doesn't have power windows, cruise control, etc.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #34
ern-diz

Quote:
2012 eh? Well that should work out fine. Old enough to be somewhat inexpensive, new enough to be able to find one with lower mileage.

Which one is the best model? Can't get one that doesn't have power windows, cruise control, etc.
I would assume you could. I recommend hopping on CarGurus.com and running a search. It'll tell you what's available in your area. I'm sure if you post about a few you're looking at, people here will give their opinion on which might be best.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #35
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
When I bought mine in January 2016, I was actually looking for something a little bigger (mostly a Vibe), but with such a great deal (and also clock was ticking to get a car due to working different job sites) I figured I'd buy it, then sell it once I found the car I was looking for. Since then I've put over 40 000km (half being road trips) and lots of custom equipment my 2007 white 3dr Yaris that was already almost fully equipped from the factory, only missing fog lights and cruise control (which are installed now). I've never looked back, actually only forward to what level I could bring the car to. It now has 213 200km and many more travel stickers.

Honestly I'd love to sell the car, but I just can't find anything that suits me even better. I'd love a sport car, an off-road rig, a luxury cruiser, something flashy, but I wouldn't be able to do everything I'm doing, for the same low operating/ownership cost, at the same compact form factor, with a good balance of simple mechanics and useful electronics that allows me to tweak and customize it without a master degree, and that reliable.

So I'll keep driving it until it doesn't suit me, that symptoms of major malfunction shows up or it gets totaled. Simply replacing the engine doesn't reduce the wear on all the other parts, and these engines most likely outlast the whole car. There's a reason why a 2007 Yaris sells for $4k while a 2012 fully loaded Hyundai Accent at half the mileage goes for $3k or less around here.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #36
ern-diz

Add to the mix that I recently looked up car values on my better half's Accord (we're thinking about trading it in for a new one) and while there, checked the value on mine.

Average of $1,500 trade-in.

$1,500!!!

Sure, I can sell it for around $4k privately but even for that, I'd MUCH rather just keep it as a second vehicle. It's worth far more as a project or backup car than I'd ever get in cash selling it --making it even more of a forever car.

On Wheelwell