Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #55
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
so you'd rather drive around on wheels that look like they should be on a 1977 ford falcon simply because they're FORGED???

why are you buying wheels in the first place?
My main purpose for buying wheels concerns width; the OEMs are just 5.5" wide.

A 7" wide wheels would yield big improvements.

Aluminum is the only choice in that width and the roads here are in rough shape. That brings the choices down to a ~ 19 pound plus cast aluminum wheel or a ~ 14 pound forged aluminum wheel.

(As a mechanical engineer, I have already ruled out the possibility of running a featherweight RACING wheel, since I know it would bend do to impact loading on these roads shortly after it was fitted to the car.)

I'd give those Enkeis some serious consideration if I were looking to track the car. But I'm not.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #56
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post

Aluminum is the only choice in that width and the roads here are in rough shape. That brings the choices down to a ~ 19 pound plus cast aluminum wheel or a ~ 14 pound forged aluminum wheel.

(As a mechanical engineer, I have already ruled out the possibility of running a featherweight RACING wheel, since I know it would bend do to impact loading on these roads shortly after it was fitted to the car.)

I'd give those Enkeis some serious consideration if I were looking to track the car. But I'm not.
ohh you're a mechanical engineer.. it call comes together....

and how exactly is going to a wider wheel gonna "yield big improvements" ? your gas mileage will drop, running a wider tire will cause your car to tramline, and you'll have more issues in the snow as well as in water (hydroplaning)

so mr engineer.. justify those reasons to go to a wider wheel and i'm up to speed.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #57
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
ohh you're a mechanical engineer.. it call comes together....

and how exactly is going to a wider wheel gonna "yield big improvements" ? your gas mileage will drop, running a wider tire will cause your car to tramline, and you'll have more issues in the snow as well as in water (hydroplaning)

so mr engineer.. justify those reasons to go to a wider wheel and i'm up to speed.
The relationship between wheel width and general improvements in handling is well documented.

A 205 mm wide tire mounted on a 7" wide rim will neither tramline nor aquaplane.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #58
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
The relationship between wheel width and general improvements in handling is well documented.

A 205 mm wide tire mounted on a 7" wide rim will neither tramline nor aquaplane.

after purchasing your Ford Falcon wheels and most likely firestone tires to go with them (get the whitewall ones for that full whitetrash effect) you let me know how badly it handles in the ruts compared to stock..

running a good tire on your stock width wheel will be just as good as your proposed setup..

that being said if you're gonna RACE THE CAR you should go to a wider wheel, but on such a light vehicle, you're never gonna over-drive those stock wheels..

but you're not racing.. so you don't need 7" wide wheels

dude... seriously... you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth here
Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #59
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:

would steel ever be an option for a standard summer wheel? :lol:

of course you're going to aluminum, I know you wont go Carbon or Mag so that leaves Aluminum.

where did you derive your 14lb forged wheel #? so 13lbs is too light and 15lbs is too heavy?

or are you going off the basis of 2/3rds as light and my cast aluminum wheel would need to be as heavy as the stockers?

the reason I ask, is Tamagos Team Dynamics are some of the strongest wheels on the market. Even comparing them to a "forged" wheel. There are plenty of quality wheels in both Forged and Cast that can help save weight and be as strong if not stronger then the stock wheels, you just need to know where to look. You also need to do more research then just pulling quotes from the manufacture website.

What would you assume to be stronger? a wheel used in Rally competition world wide, or a wheel that says it's good for the street?

I gave the enkei's some serious consideration but opted to go with some 15x7 +35mm Volk Racing RE30s, could've saved a few tenths if i went to a higher offset and reduced the pad height.

there is a place for every construction of wheel, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but you seem to be grapping on to the one "It's forged" there for it's stronger b/c I'm an engineer.

are all forging techniques equal?

just b/c it says forged doesn't mean it's bullet proof, especially if you're only paying $150 a pop.

Forging a wheel properly isn't cheap.

either way, you're sold on the wheels anyway.

look 9.25 lbs each, strong spoke design.

so are these weak too simply based on their weight? :lol:

Regamasters must be weak and break instantly....
Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #60
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:

really?

I've found that when I installed our 205s on our 7" wheels we noticed more tramlining and hydroplaning.

and we've got excellent summer/rain tires (RE750s).

then again what would we know? we're only running 205/55/15s on a 7" wheel on a Yaris where it rains constantly during the summer.... ahaha.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #61
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I'm gonna go ahead and put this thread out of its misery.
Closed Thread