Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
JohnnyBomber101

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Mac supported engine control

New to the site, but I am extremely excited!

I have a 2007 Yaris HB. I am about to start the Zage Turbo install. I am following the posts on the site and have started gathering the "before turbo install" parts. However, I think that I may have hit a snag. The first part listed is an AEM FIC. I have been on the AEM Website and have gone to a local AEM Dealer with this same question but have not received an answer; what software does the FIC use to interface? Is it Windows only? I (and the whole family) have been 100% Mac people ever since I went to Art School. We do not own anything that uses Windows and I really do not have access to a Windows computer. I can get piggy back software that will run Windows Programs, but that is not at all preferable for me. Does anyone know if AEM has Mac support or not? There is nothing about it on the website and the guys at Truck World are probably lucky they can dress themselves with minimal help.
I am not brand loyal to AEM. If anyone knows of a controller that will work with my Mac, do tell.
JohnnyBomber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
You hate Windows so much you wouldn't be willing to pick up a copy of it if it was the only way to run the tuning software? What did Microsoft do to you? :p
Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticorex View Post
You hate Windows so much you wouldn't be willing to pick up a copy of it if it was the only way to run the tuning software? What did Microsoft do to you? :p
That would require having to tell all his "mac only" friends he owns a PC...grossss.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
JohnnyBomber101

All those crappy "Windows 7 was MY idea" commercials for one...

In all actuality, I have nothing against Windows, I just know Mac and have been using them for years. I have attempted to use a Dell a few times. Just do not like it.

The Windows piggyback software I could get is very limited and my suspicion is that it would be way more of a hassle than what I am looking to deal with every time I want to start my car.

EOD - because firefighters need heroes too...

Scoliosis - because real women have curves!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
staticorex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBomber101 View Post
All those crappy "Windows 7 was MY idea" commercials for one...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
JohnnyBomber101

I see that you have a SC'd Yaris!

How is the engine holding up? I have read a couple of articles that have said the rods are too thin to last for long.

My current race car is an '87 930. I have spent about 5yrs working on it and an entire re-enlistment bonus. I have a pretty good working knowledge of TC and transmission work. At the same time though, the only cars I have been working on have been Porsche's. This Yaris is going to be my first non Porsche project. All my buddies think I am crazy until I show them youtube videos of Mustangs getting spanked!

Anyway, back to my original point, how is your Yaris holding up to the additional hp?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
staticorex

Well I never put that many miles on it. I haven't driven it in over a year now. But the 1NZ-FE has no problem handling the Blitz supercharger. It only has 117whp now. Up from 90. Deff nothing strong enough to break a connecting rod or any other internals.

You want to talk with Cali Yaris, Garm - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/fun...garage&id=3753. He's got his turbo'd one up to 357whp now? There are a few other turbo'd Yaris owners here who can tell you what to look out for with what you're talking about.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
JohnnyBomber101

Thank you for the info and the link!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I live for Apple!

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I have read a couple of articles that have said the rods are too thin to last for long.
I would like very much to read these. Please post links.

meanwhile, since I sell AEM products, I will ask if the FI/C software is mac-friendly or not.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #11
xixarchangelxix
The Unicorn

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5D HB
You can run Windows on Mac via Bootcamp or Parallels. You could also just pickup a netbook for around $200-300 and use it exclusively for tuning. Really the operating system you're running the software on shouldn't be an issue since it's the software you will be navigating and not the operating system. I'm not sure what "piggyback software" you're referring to... But there's nothing limited about running Windows via Parallels or Bootcamp.

Also... The only difference these days between a Mac and a PC (Dell, HP, etc.)... Is the operating system, it's all the same hardware now.

Last edited by xixarchangelxix; 04-09-2011 at 02:54 AM.
xixarchangelxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #12
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I'm almost positive the FIC software doesn't support Mac. However, there's no reason you can't just grab a copy of windows xp and run bootcamp, as stated above. Don't change your mind because of a simple operating system incompatibility... The FIC is much cheaper than the Emanage Ultimate, and really couldn't be any easier to use. All other options are gonna be big $$$

Oh, and if you're seriously doing the Zage install then I have some nice base maps
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
JohnnyBomber101

Cali Yaris - The first time I saw anything about performance anything for the Yaris was this site: http://www.viosturbo.com/. I used the wrong word saying articles. Through the blogger, I got in touch with the guys from GT Auto (his tuner) and read a bunch of conversation streams where guys were talking about the inherent weakness of the stock internals of the 1NZ.

Also, on this site: http://www.viosunderground.com/ there are a few people who also talk about the engine not being able to handle "any additional hp"

Update from AEM - no MAC support, crap...looks like Bootcamp it is.
(Big F'ing eye roll and dramatic sigh)

Focus_Sh1ft - Yeah, looks like I am going to have to go with bootcamp. I appreciate the advise on your part, thanks.

I have an Electromotive setup on my current race car and it uses a stand alone display. No exterior interface. I am super interested in these base maps you have. I was not able to find your car in the garage section - what setup are you running on your Scion?

Last edited by JohnnyBomber101; 04-09-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Someone already suggested dual booting/ bootcamp. This way when you're done with the windows software switch over to the Mac side for the car-puter goodies.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

This is what I thought. Not real data, just people talking, most of whom have not boosted a 1NZ motor.

So far, it seems that the motor handles 8 psi or so just fine with the stock internals.

The point is that no one knows yet, and there are no cases that I know about where there is hard evidence available (like a motor actually failed, or compression tests were done regularly) to tell what is true.

Quote:
I got in touch with the guys from GT Auto (his tuner) and read a bunch of conversation streams where guys were talking about the inherent weakness of the stock internals of the 1NZ.

Also, on this site: http://www.viosunderground.com/ there are a few people who also talk about the engine not being able to handle "any additional hp"
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

the FI/C software is Windows only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8NwK...layer_embedded
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
JohnnyBomber101

Focus_Sh1ft:

Yep, definitely going to do the Zage Turbo. Between the parts that I have at home and the stuff I can get from Micro Image, seems like a no brainer.

I am extremely interested in those base maps you have!

I watched the video link that Garm posted and I have been on the AEM site for some time now. I like what I see. The interface and control is really different from the system I have on my 930 though. That level of control in a piggyback system is pretty scary! What system are you using? Is it the one from Micro Image or another company? (You were slightly vague as to its manufacturer)

Also, what are you monitoring in the cabin? I was thinking oil pressure, AFR, EGT and Boost. I have an automatic (SO?!? It was my wife's car - stop laughing!) so I am not that concerned with a Tach and shift light. Although, all those kids who hooked up their mom's accord station wagon have them, so maybe it's cool after all.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ You can't tune without a tach, IMO. I would do that way before an EGT gauge, which has limited value for tuning.

You should also take a look at the X1 management, which is plug 'n play and even more flexible than the AEM. The newest version should be available very soon. It's pricey but pretty amazing.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/All...-1NZX1-100.htm