Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Heliums are fine, no need to spread paranoia SimmZ
Old 10-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #20
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Heliums are fine, no need to spread paranoia SimmZ
Picture speak by itself! There's nothing to add when you saw a picture like that!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #21
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmZ
Picture speak by itself! There's nothing to add when you saw a picture like that!

That does look bad, but I've also seen plenty of the same type of pictures of different rims from different companies. I can see them having a flaw once in a while out of the thousands they produce, and you also have to look at driving condition. How were they driving, repeated stress, not cautious of bumps, etc. Personally I like the wheels, but pictures like these are always good to see. Gives you an idea of what may or may not happen to you.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #22
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:

I agree SimmZ, the picture does speak for itself.

But that's one, two, a few out of how many sold and still on the road today?
Wheels are wear goods, they will crack, or worse, break like the picture above at any given time.

I'm more concerned about how these particular wheels cracked..
Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #23
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
my guess would be some kind of road racing...and there have been plenty of rota's that have broke auto xing..sorry no pics, but that is just the truth for budget rims...
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
SimmZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
my guess would be some kind of road racing...and there have been plenty of rota's that have broke auto xing..sorry no pics, but that is just the truth for budget rims...
I don't think it only happen during road racing. I have a friend who break a budget light weight wheel only when coming back from work and hitting a stupid little hole on the road when driving at speed limits on highway.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #25
leandro82

Drives: S2000
Ouch! This is why to me it's worth the extra $$$ for forged wheels, even though they will break too if you abuse them...
leandro82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #26
grimez

Drives: 2007 Yaris
The picture was enough to freak me out, I think im going to go with the Rota Attacks. However, anyone else got any good 16x6.5's with the 4x100 bolt pattern?
grimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #27
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
can people give a breakdown as to which budget lightweight wheels are forged alloys and which aren't?? i was about to buy some konigs as well, but now am completely lost as to what to do. rotas look nice and are inexpensive (circuit 10s are calling to me), but i dont think they are forged alloys either, so they might break just as easily as the konigs. any insight would be grealty appreciated!!

--B

ps: this will be a commuter car, so maybe we should just get the toyota 15in accessory alloys. we do like how that looks, and the warranty issue would be a plus...they run $165 a pop...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #28
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Just don't run black wall tires. They'll blow out. There's thousands of photos all over the internet. Better get some white-walls. You never see them blow out. Safest tire on the road, I tell ya'
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:11 PM   #29
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
The US importer for RS-Watanabe are www.takumiproject.com Awesome wheels, and very light, but $$$

There is a set of 15x7 +35 Volk CE28's at Aspec for CHEAP (~$1200 for all four). I personally weighed these on a postal scale and they weigh in at 9.2lbs. each! www.aspecproducts.com

If you're interested in my track wheel setup, I'm considering selling them also... 15x7 +35 RS-Watanabe Cyclones (forged magnesium), they weigh 8.7 lbs. each and have Bridgestone RE55S 195/55/15 R-compound tires mounted. These are discontinued and super rare (probably the only set in North America) and I'll let them go for $1300 with tires.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:33 AM   #30
grimez

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I don't have a ton of cash, and it is just a Yaris... so im just looking for a quality wheel to replace the ones I have. Looking around tirerack.com for 15 inchers that fit on the Yaris, I found the Rial Campo's, but they are cheaper than the Konig Heliums. This leads me to the question: With the controversy of the quality of the Heliums goin on, how good can a wheel that is cheaper really be? I don't know much about comparative brands for wheels, so I could use some guidance here.
grimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM   #31
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is no controversy... the Helium is a really good option for the price if you're looking for lightweight rims. If there were ANY concerns about the safety of the wheels, Rota would have pulled the plug on that model immediately. Do you honestly think that a wheel company wants thousands of people rolling on their faulty product in America, the lawsuit capitol of the world? HELL NO

Simmz is just trying to start shit, haha. Take that picture/video with a large, large grain of salt. Like, pretzel salt or something... rock salt. IDK
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 AM   #32
SimmZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Simmz is just trying to start shit, haha. Take that picture/video with a large, large grain of salt. Like, pretzel salt or something... rock salt. IDK
The pics talk by themselves! The video is a kind of animated slideshow with a SHIT LOAD of pictures... what can I say more? Just check by yourself, there's nothing to argue when you have pictures like that. No photoshop, no shit, just real life. Helium are pure crap. You can't pay 75$ a wheel and expect to have a high quality strong wheel, it's doesn't make sense!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #33
OK Yaris

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
The pics talk by themselves! The video is a kind of animated slideshow with a SHIT LOAD of pictures... what can I say more? Just check by yourself, there's nothing to argue when you have pictures like that. No photoshop, no shit, just real life.
No, the pics don't really speak for themselves. There's no story with the photos(BS or otherwise). So, you're right, there's nothing to argue about since we really don't know how these wheels were damaged.

Drop off your most expensive forged wheels to my shop, made of Kryptonite for all I care, and in less than 5 minutes I can make them look like your photos(or worse). OK, maybe even 30 seconds if you let me use power tools.

I think the story would have been different if these were actually your photos and you had something to back it up. But, you just scraped them off wwwdotpimpleonyourbuttcrackdotcom...........and all we keep seeing are re-runs.

(Gee, I hope that isn't a real website)

I think the Heliums are fine for me and a lot of other folks on the road under normal conditions you would expect to find. Would they make a good rally wheel? Definitely not. But, for my 76 mile round trip drive to work on the highway, they'll work just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webhelium2.jpg (36.0 KB, 208 views)
OK Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #34
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
The pics talk by themselves! The video is a kind of animated slideshow with a SHIT LOAD of pictures... what can I say more? Just check by yourself, there's nothing to argue when you have pictures like that. No photoshop, no shit, just real life. Helium are pure crap. You can't pay 75$ a wheel and expect to have a high quality strong wheel, it's doesn't make sense!
Like I said SimmZ, the pictures you posted show one, two, maybe only a handul of incidents with the Konig Helium.

Yes, the picture speaks for ITSELF, but not for the entire line of Konig Heliums.

And like I also stated before, I would really like to know how these wheels cracked and subsequently deteriorated. What circumstances? What conditions were they subjected to? Were these individuals being idiots and loading their cars with too much weight? Were these individuals running them on extended wheel studs without proper configuration?

We honestly do not know, and until we do, it cannot be said that the entire line of Konig Heliums are asbolute crap and everyone should avoid it like a disease.

It's doesn't make sense to take a picture of one broken rim, and say that the all the same wheels sucks. Does it?

This sort of paranoia is no different than fanboyism, in fact it's the same thing.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:47 AM   #35
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
We all know Rotas suck, they've always sucked and will continue to suck. Get over it. If you like them that's fine.

If you plan to track your car, stay away.

You need first decide what your priorities are:

Cheap
Strong
Light

You can't have all three.

If you want cheap and light get the Rota's (but be warned, they are not the strong)

If you want cheap and strong get something like the wheels you mention from the Tire Rack (but be warned they are HEAVY)

If you want strong and light get something like the Volks or Watanabes (a little pricier, but well worth it IMHO)!

03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #36
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
^^well said.
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote