Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Our Nissan Leaf review

FYI, I've got our Nissan Leaf review posted on Subcompact Culture. If you've ever wondered what it was like to live with the Leaf, it's rather interesting. It's actually quite good; better than I thought. There are some drawbacks, though.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...-eclectic.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Thanks for the review . We would consider one . Most our trips are less than 60 miles . Would use the other car for longer drives . I think you can get a LEAF for less than $25,000 with all the discounts from state and U.S. gov. That's about the same as the PRIUS , CAMRY ( hybrid ) , etc..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine

As I understand it, there's up to a $10,000 credit available, so it'd bring the cost down to about $24K.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Thanks for the review . We would consider one . Most our trips are less than 60 miles . Would use the other car for longer drives . I think you can get a LEAF for less than $25,000 with all the discounts from state and U.S. gov. That's about the same as the PRIUS , CAMRY ( hybrid ) , etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
As I understand it, there's up to a $10,000 credit available, so it'd bring the cost down to about $24K.
Subsidized by all of us who choose not to buy a Leaf/electric car.

So I work 2 jobs (60 hours a week) to help pay for the Leaf and Volt while struggling to pay my own car payment each month. Yay!
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Subsidized by all of us who choose not to buy a Leaf/electric car.

So I work 2 jobs (60 hours a week) to help pay for the Leaf and Volt while struggling to pay my own car payment each month. Yay!
You already subsidize the oil industry so what's your point?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
You already subsidize the oil industry so what's your point?
Not to start a debate and move away from the thread discussion (sorry Thirty-Nine) but I need to respond.

The American tax-payer pays $0 in subsidies to oil companies. In fact, Americans benefit massively from the $80,000,000 oil/gas companies pay to the government every day. And they've invested over $1.6 trillion into the US economy in projects since 2000.

Perhaps your other argument is that they get tax breaks similar to other businesses? Again, that's not the tax payer paying them anything. That's just less money the government confiscates from their earnings. It also means lower prices at the pump. If the government dramatically raised their taxes, it would hurt all of us at the pump.

By us "subsidizing" the oil companies, do you mean us purchasing gasoline? LOL! That's not subsidizing, that's us buying a product that we want and need from a company that does a lot of work to produce and deliver it to us. If you prefer, you can either stay trapped in your home or buy an electric car and "subsidize" the electric companies instead while limiting your range and freedom.

There's a big difference to what is given when you buy a Leaf or Volt. That is the government literally giving you money in the form of a tax credit for buying a product that they hand picked (picking winners and losers in a "free" market). The government has no place selecting only certain products in the market place forcing ALL Americans to pay for them even if we don't support the product directly.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Hershey

There's the money that's used for military to protect the oil in foreign countries . Thus taxpayers money .
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Hershey

Should we also end rebates by the government to help with energy saving appliances , windows , doors , insulating , furnaces , water heaters , solar panels , and other things ? This helps the economy as well . Which produces and keeps jobs in return .
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Thirty-Nine

True. However, the subsidies/tax incentives/etc. do play a part in this car. I'm not encouraging political rants, but I do believe this the incentives do play a part in the future of electric vehicles.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
MerleLawrence
I've made a post!

Drives: bmw
Quote:
Should we also end rebates by the government to help with energy saving appliances , windows , doors , insulating , furnaces , water heaters , solar panels , and other things ? This helps the economy as well . Which produces and keeps jobs in return .
Yes it does helps economy but many countries are not paying attention to energy saving appliances and green energy sources

Last edited by MerleLawrence; 10-22-2013 at 12:00 PM.
MerleLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Me and my Wife want a leaf also.. thanks for this really good review. Only problem I see is that she has a problem keeping her phone charged.. I can only imagine how many times she "forgets" to charge the Car.

Either way, I like the leaf even more now
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Good, fair review.

For some this is perfect. My GF for instance has a simple 6.5 mile point to point daily commute, with all spots she requires, shopping, hair/nail salon. pet groomer. bank etc. all between those 2 points.

Not for me however. Besides the cost, the range isn't there for me (yet). Perhaps one day.

Twice this year, on long road trips and on warmer days I went over 415 miles non-stop in my Yari, each time time with 2+ gallons to spare.

Last edited by NEexpat; 10-21-2013 at 11:14 AM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
There are some drawbacks, though.
Yeah... it's godawful FUGLY. And I'd be ashamed to drive a government subsidized "EBT" welfare car.

With a puny range of only 100 miles on its best day only means that real world range is going to be less. Vehicles like this one offer their unwitting owners a brand new experience.

It's called "range anxiety".
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Love the minimist thingy!

Since I drive about 75 miles a week this might be for me.

If my book does well I might get one!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I saw more Leafs in Vermont (Nissans, not peeping at the leaves on trees ) than I've seen in the SF Bay Area in California or in Texas, or even other small (in square miles of land) states.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Not to start a debate and move away from the thread discussion (sorry Thirty-Nine) but I need to respond.

The American tax-payer pays $0 in subsidies to oil companies. In fact, Americans benefit massively from the $80,000,000 oil/gas companies pay to the government every day. And they've invested over $1.6 trillion into the US economy in projects since 2000.

Perhaps your other argument is that they get tax breaks similar to other businesses? Again, that's not the tax payer paying them anything. That's just less money the government confiscates from their earnings. It also means lower prices at the pump. If the government dramatically raised their taxes, it would hurt all of us at the pump.

By us "subsidizing" the oil companies, do you mean us purchasing gasoline? LOL! That's not subsidizing, that's us buying a product that we want and need from a company that does a lot of work to produce and deliver it to us. If you prefer, you can either stay trapped in your home or buy an electric car and "subsidize" the electric companies instead while limiting your range and freedom.

There's a big difference to what is given when you buy a Leaf or Volt. That is the government literally giving you money in the form of a tax credit for buying a product that they hand picked (picking winners and losers in a "free" market). The government has no place selecting only certain products in the market place forcing ALL Americans to pay for them even if we don't support the product directly.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
There's the money that's used for military to protect the oil in foreign countries . Thus taxpayers money .
If Obama would allow drilling on federal land to return to previous levels, the U.S. would become energy independent even sooner, and this point would become moot.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Apples and Oranges, in my view. AFAIK, the 'carbon footprint improvement'' (for lack of a better way to put it) of all of those other items you mention (which are all good -- concept and use) hasn't been questioned. Whereas, IIRC (see another Yarisworld thread), with hybrids the pollution from the battery factories (among other things) increase the initial carbon footprint to a level that isn't overcome until some point after 60,000 miles. This, of course, would be altered (by what extent = ?) by factors in both directions (zero emissions vs larger battery/more battery power needed).

Tags
leaf, nissan