Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
thelintonwyrm

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS, 2dr. 5spd. HB
Help! Sign the Petition! Lets get Toyota to bring the Yaris GRMN to Canada and the US

Hi Folks,

I have started a petition to bring the Toyota Yaris GRMN to the USA and Canadian Markets. Help this cause by signing it, and sending it to other Yaris enthusiasts you know. We know we want it, its worth the effort. Yes?

Any moderators, are you able to put this link up with other sites that would be sympathetic to our cause?

With much thanks to all who participate,
Rob Somerville
Wpg, MB. Canada.

https://www.change.org/p/noriaki-yamashita-bring-the-toyota-yaris-grmn-to-canada-and-us-markets?recruiter=370561284&utm_source=share_petit ion&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petitio n&utm_term=Search%3ESAP%3ECA%3ENonBrand-Tier%201%3ECreation%3EBMM
thelintonwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Sure, I'll sign it. why not? lol
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Boy, that's a tough sell. Even if you get a hundred signatures, how many of them would actually drop the $50k to buy one? That also assumes that there's no safety/emissions standards that have to be met--and paid for by Toyota--before they can sell it here. It's the same chassis, so it's *probably* not a big deal for crash testing, but the emissions would likely kill it in Canada and California. I'm sure someone at Toyota has counted up the beans and made the financial decision not to offer it here for a reason. Just look at the Focus RS and how briefly it was offered here for comparison--and it already had a big demand because of the ST variants.

That said, I'd love to have the opportunity to buy one some day, so I'll sign it. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Boy, that's a tough sell. Even if you get a hundred signatures, how many of them would actually drop the $50k to buy one? That also assumes that there's no safety/emissions standards that have to be met--and paid for by Toyota--before they can sell it here. It's the same chassis, so it's *probably* not a big deal for crash testing, but the emissions would likely kill it in Canada and California. I'm sure someone at Toyota has counted up the beans and made the financial decision not to offer it here for a reason. Just look at the Focus RS and how briefly it was offered here for comparison--and it already had a big demand because of the ST variants.

That said, I'd love to have the opportunity to buy one some day, so I'll sign it. =)
Exactly how I feel.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
It's the same chassis, so it's *probably* not a big deal for crash testing
Just take a look at the much coveted Gen2 JDM RS bumpers that we North Americans drool over. Safety standards here required beefier crash bars, so right there, new bumpers need to be designed. Won't happen for an optimistic market of a dozen cars at the price point we would see here.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
+1 on others' comments about it never happening, but didn't cost me anything to sign it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
7 signatures now....

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Just take a look at the much coveted Gen2 JDM RS bumpers that we North Americans drool over. Safety standards here required beefier crash bars, so right there, new bumpers need to be designed. Won't happen for an optimistic market of a dozen cars at the price point we would see here.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
you do realize that its a USDM spec yaris LE 3 door with SE rear brakes and avics one off brakes with the yaris sedan rain sensor for the wipers and the Lotus Elise or whatever corolla motor 2zrfe with a magussion r900 supercharger v6 injectors and a 6 speed gearbox with a tortion LSD you can build this entire car for when i priced out for about 10 grand a piece not including the labor and time and the unique seats that come with it. alot of the stuff im not mentioning because its privy to my own collection but its not complex or hard. getting it to sell here? unlikely. the focus RS was a hothatch and it barely sold.

but selling it for 50k unlikely getting to sell for 25-30k easy alot of it is just going to lotus and toyota of Europe and japan and going give me this and this and this they already make an LHD version for spain so its probably most likely in the works, i talked to a spain owner on IG because im connected to all the GRMN owners and ive even went off on one for not being happy enough with a rare car (ungrateful bastard)

in reality when i had pull i was part of the push behind it i had talked with toyota UK about putting a v6 in the yaris for a good 300hp but have found its way too front heavy and would turn the car into a litteral drag car with no turning radius at all and totally kill the dyamics, since then i have been researching other engines that can fit into the vehicle but not have had much luck. most of them are easy though because it would save on development costs lots of drag and drop and frankenstinening very minimal cost from toyota.

but nobodys going to buy this unless it comes with a telescoping steering wheel, id rather see toyota add one then make a GRMN and add power/ heated seats and NVH in the doors with dyanamat and more interior options and colors and rims and the TRD sportivo kit be a dealer option and the rear swaybar be a dealer option and rear disc brakes be a dealer option for the 3 doors then see a grmn,

if anything they should give us a supercharger kit that bumps it up another 100 horse and is AT and MT compatable and that would really sell the car and give it some styling that reflects how the car is sold in japan currently it looks like a giant whale/ fish/ open gaped puppy dog and is just anemically underpowered, ive read the specs on the 1nzfe pentaroof head, aluminum everything its just not worth it to tune unless toyota lets tuners crack the ECU and even then what? 300hp out of a 1.5L will unrealiable as crap

so its a tough market in america not to mention canada where it snows? performance FWD that has a bangy tortion LSD on blizzaks would be a nightmare.

so ill sign but i dont see much coming out of this, ive been pushing for months now to get it to america and i was the mild catalist behind it.

hit me up on ig: thehellastockusdm3rdgenyaris
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
$34k USD for a yaris? my wife would string me up.

they can't even sell a $15k yaris in the US.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
you do realize that its a USDM spec yaris LE 3 door with SE rear brakes and avics one off brakes with the yaris sedan rain sensor for the wipers and the Lotus Elise or whatever corolla motor 2zrfe with a magussion r900 supercharger v6 injectors and a 6 speed gearbox with a tortion LSD you can build this entire car for when i priced out for about 10 grand a piece not including the labor and time and the unique seats that come with it. alot of the stuff im not mentioning because its privy to my own collection but its not complex or hard. getting it to sell here? unlikely. the focus RS was a hothatch and it barely sold.

but selling it for 50k unlikely getting to sell for 25-30k easy alot of it is just going to lotus and toyota of Europe and japan and going give me this and this and this they already make an LHD version for spain so its probably most likely in the works, i talked to a spain owner on IG because im connected to all the GRMN owners and ive even went off on one for not being happy enough with a rare car (ungrateful bastard)

in reality when i had pull i was part of the push behind it i had talked with toyota UK about putting a v6 in the yaris for a good 300hp but have found its way too front heavy and would turn the car into a litteral drag car with no turning radius at all and totally kill the dyamics, since then i have been researching other engines that can fit into the vehicle but not have had much luck. most of them are easy though because it would save on development costs lots of drag and drop and frankenstinening very minimal cost from toyota.

but nobodys going to buy this unless it comes with a telescoping steering wheel, id rather see toyota add one then make a GRMN and add power/ heated seats and NVH in the doors with dyanamat and more interior options and colors and rims and the TRD sportivo kit be a dealer option and the rear swaybar be a dealer option and rear disc brakes be a dealer option for the 3 doors then see a grmn,

if anything they should give us a supercharger kit that bumps it up another 100 horse and is AT and MT compatable and that would really sell the car and give it some styling that reflects how the car is sold in japan currently it looks like a giant whale/ fish/ open gaped puppy dog and is just anemically underpowered, ive read the specs on the 1nzfe pentaroof head, aluminum everything its just not worth it to tune unless toyota lets tuners crack the ECU and even then what? 300hp out of a 1.5L will unrealiable as crap

so its a tough market in america not to mention canada where it snows? performance FWD that has a bangy tortion LSD on blizzaks would be a nightmare.

so ill sign but i dont see much coming out of this, ive been pushing for months now to get it to america and i was the mild catalist behind it.

hit me up on ig: thehellastockusdm3rdgenyaris
Longest

Sentences

Ever

Old 11-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #11
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
$34k USD for a yaris? my wife would string me up.

they can't even sell a $15k yaris in the US.

its as fast as a porsche boxter and more reliable.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
Leegamer

Which motor is in the grmn? I haven't been able to find the code. I know the legit rally car uses a destroked 2zz. It says it's a 1.8 so it could be the the 2ZR-FE or the 2ZZ.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Which motor is in the grmn? I haven't been able to find the code. I know the legit rally car uses a destroked 2zz. It says it's a 1.8 so it could be the the 2ZR-FE or the 2ZZ.
its the basic 1.8L 2zrf 2zz is not emissions legal. in the new yarises.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
its the basic 1.8L 2zrf 2zz is not emissions legal. in the new yarises.
Ah, so a supercharged 2ZR. That's pretty cool, I guess.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
DarkShadowFox
Banned

-
Old 11-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Ah, so a supercharged 2ZR. That's pretty cool, I guess.
its not cheap the motor is cheap to do that stuff to it your looking at 3-5 grand for the supercharger plus the v6 injectors which i have not been able to figure out which V6 but probably the 2gr. and a host of other BS. not only that youd still need to get the bucket seats which are one offs from toyota boshuko and not for sale,

ive even tried to find the original GRMN style ones and there not for sale either croober sold 200 of them and none are really around.

you can get the steering wheel thats similar to it its a REAL steering wheel from japan about 700 plus 2 in shipping from japan.

the gauge cluster which is not mass produced and only made as replacement will set you back 2300 USD as there are no salvage ones.

then youd need the black interior pieces and to redo the headliner in alacantra its a mess. complicated but im sure i can get it done on mine in the next 9 years.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #17
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The "simplest" solution for this is to just find a wrecked Series 2 Elise with the supercharged 2ZR motor. Buy the drivetrain and engine electronics. Follow the already well documented 2ZR swaps elsewhere on this site. Done. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
signed
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote