Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #1
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Question Low gloss plastic/rubber protector product?

I'm looking for suggestions re: a low gloss plastic/rubber protectant spray, to use on interior surfaces (as well as the tire sidewalls), about once a month or so. Does such a thing even exist?

What I don't want is something that leaves a shiny or glossy surface (i.e. the classic Armor All). I just want the plastic/rubber protecting part (in addition to the mild cleaning effect); I have no desire for a greasy, distracting shine.

I've browsed the aisles at Canadian Tire & Wal-Mart, but nothing seemed to be specifically low gloss (esp. in the case of the tire stuff, where the whole genre seems to be based on the super shine effect). Maybe I should try an auto parts store? It's more out of the way, but I'm willing to try them if there's a reasonable chance of success, and as long as there isn't a huge price premium.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp Try this place. Get themto send you a catalog. I have been using thier products and they work very well.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
lowkey

Drives: 90 Integra, 07 Yaris
For the interior I use Black Magic Semi-Gloss. Works very well without the greasy look. As for the tires Armour All spray in the black can gives the tires that 'soild black' look.
lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
303 products makes the only true "black plastic, vinyl, rubber" conditioner. All the other just use a cheezy oil based solution that lays on top of the plastic,vinyl,rubber. the 303 brand product actually conditions and seeps in the pores..
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackRabbit
For the interior I use Black Magic Semi-Gloss. Works very well without the greasy look. .
Do you find that it leaves streaks on your dash? I did. The type of vinyl its made of is kinda unique (never seen it before in another car save for the Yaris), and I couldnt get a good even look across teh dash no matter how hard I tried.

Granted, I used some standard Amor All that my buddy was using for his, so many the kind I used was inappropiate for the Yaris dash.

You dont find you have that problem when you protected your Yaris dash, did you? It was really annoying me and bugged me bc I could see "swipe" streaks and couldnt seem to get ride of them for the longest time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
303 products makes the only true "black plastic, vinyl, rubber" conditioner. All the other just use a cheezy oil based solution that lays on top of the plastic,vinyl,rubber. the 303 brand product actually conditions and seeps in the pores..
Maybe I should try this product, just need to see if Canadain Tire/Wall-Mart sells it, or if I'll hafta go online... hmmm, cost?

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I just got finished cleaning my entire interior with Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Protect interior protectant...

http://www.meguiars.com/press/releas...elected_ID=144

THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. My interior has just enough shine... not armor all greasy (what I was trying to avoid) and yet you still know the interior is taken care of. The product isn't overpoweringly smelly, and what surprised me is how well it worked on the bumpy plastic surfaces. I was worried about it not wiping off clean, but one microfiber towel folded in half (wax on side, wax off side haha) did the trick. It even reduced the visibility of some surface scratches in the plastic. Great stuff... the only product you'll need for your interior plastics.

Tomorrow the exterior gets ICED. WOOT!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Honestly? I use low-shine Armor all... I apply it to the cloth and then wipe down the plastic. Cleans and protects w/out the armor all oily look.

-Peter
Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris

Tried 303, WOW what an improvement over ANYTHING else I've ever used. Obviously I can't address aging issues, except that if I am to keep this car as I've planned, I know what happens long term with armorall. If you want a nice haze on a dark dash, use it...
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
Tried 303, WOW what an improvement over ANYTHING else I've ever used. Obviously I can't address aging issues, except that if I am to keep this car as I've planned, I know what happens long term with armorall. If you want a nice haze on a dark dash, use it...

I tried 303 before.. it is a very good product. But I don't know where to get it again...
The only thing I can complain about 303 is the smell.. It got a bad odor.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
no smell here, and a 150 degree F interior will usually bring out any odors....I got mine from Campmor, couldn't believe they sold it , I included it in a camping supply order
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I have found a great product called Plexus! It is friggin awesome on plastic, glass, even paint. It's great to use on the exterior because if it gets on paint, just buff it off and it leaves an awesome wax gloss. The plastics come out deep black and protected. The interior plastics look awesome too! It also work great on laptop displays and plasmas. I keep a can at work, with my car cleaning stuff, in my car, and by my PC at home. It is the only product used to clean and protect jet canopies by the military! I buy it by the case!

http://stylespilotshop.stores.yahoo.net/20214.html

Under my hood and on my tires I use Michelin 3 in 1 Tire Shine. Shines great without looking wet!

http://www.michelinman.com/care/tire...urce=careindex

I just love both of these products!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #12
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Hi folks,

Was at Crappy Tire today, and was gonna pick up the Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner. From what I've gathered, this stuff has some gloss, but it's not as bad as Armor All, and it's easy to find. Thanks to the members' suggestions here, I was aware of the 303 stuff (which supposedly is even less shiny).

Lo and behold, right beside the Meguiar's was the 303 Products Protectant. It was the same price as the Meguiar's (which is to say expensive at CAN$14), so what the heck, I figured I'd give it a shot.

To start, I made a quick try of the stuff on the dash, and on the exterior mirror housing & mudguards (i.e. the black plastic). I did notice that it streaked a bit on the dash, but this could be b/c of the textured surface combined w/my application, er, "technique". Not brave enough yet to try it on the tires.

I'll need a bit more time to evaluate the results and report back.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote