Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Stock car parts on a Yaris

Not completely finished but here is a real rear sway bar mounted to my Yaris. Still needs some gusseting and bracing before its done.

Had it around the parking lot a few times and it definitely handles differently than before.

xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
So you've got two. I had my rear wanting to brake lose with my WhiteLine on the firm setting. I had to run it on the soft setting in case of rain.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Does the exhaust clear that or do you need custom axle back?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

The TRD bar is going to come off when this is done since its dead weight at that point. The back end was loose from my test drive, but it was a different kind of loose, you could feel the back end come around but it was doing it slowly although much sooner than normal. It was completely unlike all of the RSB I've driven so far, I don't know if its better or not yet haven't really done any testing, but it was odd to hear the back tires squeal for once, that's something I'm just not used to in this car.

The stock exhaust doesn't clear it. You could probably make it work if you moved the can back an inch or so and rerouted the exhaust pipe up or down. A custom axleback would work and I'm sure some of the OTS stuff would work well too but I don't have any here for fitment.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
ilikerice

interesting setup. i like it. When you are finished with it and feel that it is a significant improvement and figure out a exhaust setup. Are you willing to piece together something for the rest of us to purchase?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yeah, its actually surprisingly simple to make. I'll take some final measurements when I'm done to give a good idea how to make it as long as it works LOL.

Gotta love stock car parts ;)

As it sits right now though here are the parts I'm using.

Shopping list:
splined tubular sway bar, 1" OD x .120 wall x 43" length from www.1speedway.com
pair of straight aluminum arms for the above, I think the 30 degree bent steel bars would be easier to work with though.
Sway bar saddle bracket (Energy Suspension #15.12.0.39 or 9.5129 from Suspension.com)
Grade 8 3/8" bolts, nuts, washers (Home Depot)
12"x12" 1/4" 4130 Steel plate cut to fit.

You can think this guy for giving me the idea. https://www.facebook.com/notes/holli...02403919843582

All in I'm about ~$250 in parts and metal with about 4-5 hours invested.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Holy bracing, batman! that's intense. Forgive me for likely overlooking something simple here - but wouldn't it have been better from a "less to modify standpoint" to make something similar to the TRD bar, with mounts up to the current area your new one mounts to? or does the box-ish shape from this bolting to the axle play a large role in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Holy bracing, batman! that's intense. Forgive me for likely overlooking something simple here - but wouldn't it have been better from a "less to modify standpoint" to make something similar to the TRD bar, with mounts up to the current area your new one mounts to? or does the box-ish shape from this bolting to the axle play a large role in this?
That was a thought at one point but I was talked out of it. From what was explained to me by my chassis engineer buddies, was that adding a bar like a TRD bar was less effective than a bar like the one pictured above because they don't tie into the chassis like a traditional swaybar.

So the reason it looks the way it does it because I couldn't figure out where I could mount the bar along the chassis where the torsion beam sits so I used the stock toe hooks to bolt onto. This method of mounting creates a bit of a problem since everything needs to be nice and long to avoid binding.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Like the idea!

I've ditched my tow hooks to clear my exhaust, but this would be an even better use for the tow hook nuts welded into the chassis.

I can't quite make it out, but have you entirely replaced the tow hooks, or just bolted your brackets to them?
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Just bolted brackets to them, on the Yaris the brackets are part of the frame so I couldn't get rid of them. I'd have built a much better mount with exhaust clearance if I could unbolt them.

I ditched the TRD bar and ran just the speedway bar tonight, car was much more composed, but I still don't have enough data to say if its better or not. Seat of the pants says its faster but I'll be sure this weekend at the AutoX event.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Viperoni

Sweet, too bad on the tow hooks being a part of the frame though.

Given how solid the bar is, I wouldn't be surprised if it helps keep the wheels located better too, longitudially anyhow.
<edit> didn't see the pic properly at work, the bar probably WONT help at all with what I said </edit>

Last edited by Viperoni; 05-22-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yeah the small endlinks keep all that from happening.

First test video below. Way more tire deflection than I was expecting on the back tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9mmrulJsSk
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
Viperoni

The tire is deflecting like MADNESS:

Direct link to the vid right about when the deflection happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mrulJsSk#t=29s

Explains why Johnny and I still get outside tire wear on the rear when he's running ~-2* camber (with coilovers + sway bar) and I'm running ~-1.4* camber (soft springs and no sway bar).

What's your alignment like?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #14
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I've never seen tire movement like that on the back before so the ARB is doing something. The tire might be a touch under inflated I think its in the 33-35 range which is pretty low for the z2s

On the back its basically stock but on the front I have -4.7.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Viperoni

So -0.5* camber at MAX on the rear... that'll enable some deflection.
I don't have any vids of the rear tire deflection, but I do have a rough one of the front, not quite as bad on similar tires (can't remember the brand, but it has two sipes and is a slick otherwise like yours).
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

You can see some tire deflection on my previous rear suspension vid. No where near as bad as it is in the current video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504Pl...etailpage#t=7s
Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
ilikerice

so how does it feel? Butt dyno
Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Yeah the small endlinks keep all that from happening.

First test video below. Way more tire deflection than I was expecting on the back tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9mmrulJsSk
That is a lot of angle on the bar, can you flip the endlinks and get the bar flat at rest?