Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
DIY Engine Bay Gasket Seal

I got tired of the road crud and salt dirtying up my engine bay 2 weeks after cleaning it. Decided to try this out after it catching my eye during a trip to Home Depot for something else. I actually found out that I was missing a piece of the factory rubber on a small part right under the middle of the hood. This took me about 20mins and could've easily be done in 10.

I also picked up some rubber insulation tape to cover some of the A/C lines next summer. Total price was about $10 and I still have about 30% of package left. If the placement of the foam above the front lights it to close to the lip of the hood then you will get a slight elevation of the hood above the light. I had to move it back a bit from the lip and now everything seats perfectly. I shined a light under the hood with it fully closed and the deal is excellent, the size of the foam is perfect.

I'll be replacing all fluids (brake, oil, mtf) and relubing brake slider pins in 2 weeks to prep my car for winter, I'll keep posted on how that goes. I picked up some Royal Purple MTF to help with the -30 degree early winter morning shifting that was making 1st gear difficult until the transmission warmed up

In the 3rd picture the blue piece in the engine cover cutaway is my DIY oil catch. Has picked up a small amount of oil but hasn't increased for a while. I'll check the PCV next weekend and make sure it's still functioning properly. I cleaned it (was working fine) when I installed the oil catch.

Last edited by tmontague; 10-21-2014 at 09:30 AM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
I might be completely wrong here but always assumed that the majority of road spray etc came up from underneath where everything is wide open.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
tmontague

I'm sure a fair bit comes from underneath/grill and that would be what dirty's up the engine block a/c compressor etc. However on the top of my engine is a film of filth that started compiling after about 1 week of having my engine spotless. The film built up more and more and would start to get on the battery and other area. I noticed that the dirtiest areas were the one where there was no rubber seal. I'll be cleaning the engine in 2 weeks and then I'll post on how clean it stays compared to without the seal.

The bottom of the engine bay has a cover that runs from the bumper for about 1' towards the back of the car. The blocks a decent amount from going up from the bottom, most would come in through the grill.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
I thought about doing this, but decided to go with this:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...1891/204252344

Held on with 12 - 3/8" Stainless steel screws in the bumpertop. I was hesitant to do foam with a sticky backing as I worried it would rot over time and come loose in the engine. This product is all rubber and plastic, I used a 1/16" drill bit in a pin vise to make pilot holes. Then screwed it in.

Even though it says brown it is a VERY dark brown. I had to hold something black up to it to be sure it really was brown.
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
tmontague

I actually looked at that exact same stripping and was thinking about doing that instead. I opted for the foam due to its ease to install. I do agree that the foam could start coming off over time however, the hood keep it pressed firmly in place and the glue on the back is surprisingly strong. I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts to come off I'll go your route