Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
East coast holidays roadtrip planning

I'd like to drive down the east coast and visit some of the inland cities this holiday, asking for suggestions for routes and points of interest from members.

Ideally I'd like to make it to the end of the Florida's Keys, and also get to experience some of the swamps and other biomes. I'd leave between Christmas and New Years from Montreal, stop by nyc for a day or two depending on the weather and maybe check out Long Island and Coney Island, then next stop is Ocean City, MD where I have a condo to stay and wait out for better weather if needed. Obviously I'd be leaving home on winter tires, which aren't great to cruise down Florida, so I plan on hauling my set of 4 season wheels on the cargo carrier and do the swap in Ocean City before heading further south.

Leaving OC is where the real adventure starts, as I've been to OC and back plenty of times, but never traveled down further. Last year I did drove to Virginia beach back and forth on a rainy day, but that's it.

Ideally I'd like to travel the ocean front roads and the inland scenic roads, but not sure which to do southbound and which to do northbound. Again, weather will be playing a decisive role, but I hope to be able to avoid traffic jams and other annoying drives when going between destinations. I don't have any dead line for returning back home, although I'd like to keep it under 20 days and to avoid doing more than 2 consecutive a days of driving at the time. A good pace for me is usually one day drive and one day walking around, or one day half drive half sight seeing. I can do 10h straight, or 5 hours streaks. I can camp in my car, although I'd reach out for a room every other day or so. I don't mind stopping for more than a day in a place to get to experience everything and the nightlife, and I'd be happy to meet up with locals for lunch or activities.

List of things I'd love to do or see :

Gun ranges (I love to shoot)
Fishing
Mountain biking
Climbing/cave exploration/hiking/national parks
Drag race or car show/derby
Beach party
Ferries
Aviation/science museums
Aquariums/zoos/Navy/army stuff
Trains
Crazy downtown and malls
Sporting events
Party bikes
Notorious bars and restaurants/delis
Tropical resorts
Places you see in the movies
Halls of fame
Museums of most kinds
Etc.

I don't know much of anything south of Maryland, but I'd like to stop by Washington, Norfolk, Charlotte, etc towns where there's something important or huge/cool installations that are well known or even kept secret !

Max driving range is 1 000km highway a day or 7 hours of country/urban roads. I usually prefer to travel non scenic roads at night or during lunch time when traffic is low. I don't mind old scenic twisty roads or long stretch of flat lands.

Thanks !
David C is offline   Reply With Quote