Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Synthetic oil. Can it Really Go 10,000 miles?

It's being claimed that conventional motor oil needs to be changed at 5000 miles and The synthetic can go 10,000 miles. In the past experts said it's the additives that wear out in motor oil thus requiring it's changing. And in fact even regular motor oil once it's been changed can be refined and used again. So if it's the additives that wear out and the oil itself can be refined and reused....what's preventing the additives in synthetic oil from wearing out just like the additives in conventional oil wear out?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
well, as i understand it, conventional oil breaks down uniformly over time and synthetic oil keeps it's full viscosity longer, but breaks down quicker faster at the end of it's life. that's why it "lasts" longer. after 3/4 of the life of conventional oil, 3/4 has lost it's viscosity, wile the synthetic still retains higher viscosity, so it's a safe bet you could wait longer to change it. so at 7000 miles on the C oil, it's lost 50% viscosity where the S oil has 70% remaining, but both will be at 0% at 15,000. (this is a generalization)
if you use BG MOA it does not matter the oil, you'd be safe to 10,000 as long as the filter is rated for that long.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Synthetic oil. Can it Really Go 10,000 miles?

Yes.

In fact some synthetic oils can go far longer. AMSOIL Signature Series is guaranteed for 25,000 miles. Mobil 1 Annual Protection is guaranteed to go 20,000 miles. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is guaranteed for 15,000 mile oil changes.

Most synthetics however do not come with a mileage guarantee, instead they state to follow manufactures oil change recommendations. Having said that I would have no problem personally running any synthetic out to 10K.

Synthetic base stocks are more heavily refined and processed. This allows them to resist oxidation and thermal breakdown far better and last longer than conventional oils. You are correct that the additives wear out, whether conventional or synthetic. It does seem however that most synthetics have a more robust additive package than most conventional oils. A more robust ad pack combined with a higher quality base oil will allow the oil to last longer.

There is plenty of good info about oil at:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub.../forum_summary

There is a whole section where you can read used oil analysis reports. There are many, many reports on synthetics run over 10K miles with plenty of life left in the oil.

Also the Petroleum Quality Institute of America has a website where they test fresh unused samples of oil.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Su...2_15_2016.html

You can tell the quality of the ad pack from these tests. You may be surprised to see some no name synthetics putting up numbers equivalent or better than name brand products.

FYI I currently have Walmart's house brand "Supertech" 5W-30 synthetic in my Yaris sump and I plan to keep it there for a year. I will not make 10K in that time but it wouldn't bother me if I did.

Read up and make your own decisions. Don't sue me if your engine blows up.

PS: Make sure to use a high quality oil filter like a Mobil-1 or Fram Ultra if you plan on running extended oil change intervals.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post

Read up and make your own decisions. Don't sue me if your engine blows up.

Dont worry Im a firm believer that everyone is responsible for their own decisions!

Now that Im older it would be nice to change the oil once a year or every 10,000 miles. I only put 2500 miles a year on my Yaris and already change it once a year with conventional oil. Its my wife whos still working and puts 15,000 miles a year on her Camry that might qualify for once a year synthetic oil. Problem is I have oil and filters enough for seven oil changes that has to go first. Oil and filter for an oil change costs me less than $10 using Ace Hardware oil on sale once a year for $2 a quart and oil filter from Pep Boys once a year $10 off coupon and other sales I come across. Also in the 60s 70s and 80s I rebuilt dozens of VW engines so I KNOW just how much conventional oil effects engines depending on how frequently you change it.

Havnt found a good answer for the additive question yet to my liking but thanks for your input!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #5
Garth g.

Drives: 07 Yaris 2dr hatchback
I got a membership to the amsoil distribution in my city last month for my wife's 2014 corolla.For the he'll of it I put it in the yaris I've drivin 5000k it still looks clean on the dipstick.I bought a extra bottle of top up car burns a bit.the bottle fits perfectly in the intereior pocket in the back of the car
Garth g. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Mobil 1 is not a true 100% synthetic oil.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Drives: 2007 Jade Yaris Sedan
it is my understanding that the advantage of synthetic oil is that the molecules in synthetic oil are consistently small while conventional oil molecules are not. The consistently small oil molecules flow better into small places and at cold temperatures. I don't know how this would allow you to extend oil changes.

When I first got the Yaris I got my oil changed using synthetic oil, always Pennzoil Platinum. I stopped when I noticed that sometimes when Pep Boys changed my oil it had a purple tint and sometimes it didn't and I wondered if they were putting synthetic in all the time. I am at 152,000 miles with 5000-6000 mile conventional oil changes and she runs like new.

Last edited by Sirius-XM; 08-11-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Sirius-XM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
My mechanics told me of customers coming in with an oil change after 15k miles
He says usually stock engines can cope with bad and old engine oil pretty good if you drive normal. If you have performance engines this would be bad in his opinion.
Of course he doesn't advise to do that with any engine thought.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #9
SirDigby

another thing to think about with going so long on oil changes is contamination of oil. every time it warms up/cools down it collects condensation. blow-by at the pistons adds fuel to oil. this is what the filter is for, but it contributes greatly to oil break-down. it's not always a good idea to go as long as possible on oil changes. time is a factor. if you drive non-stop for 5000 miles, the oil will be in almost new condition, where as if you drive 5000 miles a year, the oil will be in much more poor condition...
Old 08-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #10
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
another thing to think about with going so long on oil changes is contamination of oil. every time it warms up/cools down it collects condensation. blow-by at the pistons adds fuel to oil. this is what the filter is for, but it contributes greatly to oil break-down. it's not always a good idea to go as long as possible on oil changes. time is a factor. if you drive non-stop for 5000 miles, the oil will be in almost new condition, where as if you drive 5000 miles a year, the oil will be in much more poor condition...
True this. Before I knew better, after about six months of 1 to 5 mile trips I would find a whitish milky substance on the bottom of my oil fill cap. I just wasn't driving far enough to burn up the condensation in my motor. Now I take my car on a weekly run for at least 20 min over 60 mph.

Short trips will also cause excess rust in your exhaust system leading to early failure from not burning off the moisture in there.
6 month oil change intervals for me no matter how low the mileage is. Cheap insurance as I see it.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^agree it has a lot to do with driving. I go 18k km on my oil but I'm also driving a lot and mostly highway with a lot of wot pulls. The oil heats up more than enough to evaporate any condensation. I always cringe when I hear of engine that only do short trips and are never taken very far on the tachometer.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
I still have to say I've never seen a motor blow up from changing the oil too often.my 2.7 Tacoma has 195,000 miles.had to change the valve cover gasket.clean as a new one inside.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Yes. I have run my own vehicle on fully synthetic oil and it has done since new according to the records when i got it. I have changed it every year or sooner. Mileage wise the intervals have been anywhere from 9000 to 12500. My vehicle is burning about 600ml of oil every 1000 miles so by the time a change comes around its basically already had an oil change. I mainly do "highway" driving with long stretches of 60-80mph.

In my opinion the newer synthetic oils are one of the primary reasons (along with better materials science) why engines are so much more reliable now than they used to be. On some of our work vehicles I've seen the oil pushed to 30,000 miles (bear in mind these vehicles did 125k-165k in 18 months) and that was on VW vehicles!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
If I were going to run any oil that many miles, I would still want to change the filter at the halfway mark or so. But thats just me. I'd sacrifice the cup of oil it holds for peace of mind. Still trying to figure why my exhaust is rusting from the inside on my 2010 sedan. Use top tier gas, dont idle much at all and my daily drive to work is 48 mile round trip @ 80% highway. where the heck is all the moisture coming from?
Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
We have to change the oil in these things?!? News to me!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #16
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
If I were going to run any oil that many miles, I would still want to change the filter at the halfway mark or so. But thats just me. I'd sacrifice the cup of oil it holds for peace of mind. Still trying to figure why my exhaust is rusting from the inside on my 2010 sedan. Use top tier gas, dont idle much at all and my daily drive to work is 48 mile round trip @ 80% highway. where the heck is all the moisture coming from?
If i'm not mistaken water vapour is produced by combustion and the catalytic converter. Not to mention there is a certain volume of it in the air and engines consume an enormous amount of it in a year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
SirDigby

water condenses in the exhaust every time the exhaust warms-up and cools down. that is the only time moisture is in the exhaust...
Old 08-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yeah, I know it condenses in the exhaust, but with a 20+ mile each way, I'm surprised it rust thru so soon. I mean 8 yrs isn't fast but its too soon for me,lol
I have been using synthetic oils exclusively since after the 1st change, and I still have been doing changes between 3-5k miles. Maybe I should extend that out a bit....