Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Tifford

Drives: 09 yaris, kit A/C cobra
Positive words for the Curt Hitch

I hope this isn't perceived as an advertisement but as a suggestion for a hitch. I have an 09 Yaris 3 door hatch with a stick shift. I ordered the Curt 11050 hitch and I am very pleased with it. The welds look good. The mounting holes matched up. It took about 30 minutes to install. You have to disconnect two lower mounting points for the rear bumper and re-attach them later but no big deal there either.

Tifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Haven't seen too many Yarii as haulers over the years, but that's definitely interesting points you make there.

By the way, is your Cobra from FF5? Just curious.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
I was just looking at one of these Curt 11050 hitch online for my 2008 lift back. Can I ask what you are towing and what kind of trailer you are using with this hitch? I would like to get a trailer large enough to haul a motorcycle.

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Tifford

Yes, it is a Factory Five that I built myself. I bought the kit back when Shelby was suing F5 over copy rights.

I am going with a harbor freight trailer with the bigger tires (bigger than the 8" tire they offer). I might use my welder to make it longer for canoe I will carry. About the heaviest thing I will tow is a 21 horse lawn mower with it.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Tifford

For what it is worth, I highly recommend Factory Five if you will buy a kit Shelby cobra. The kits they sell now are even better now. It weighs 2000 pounds and flies with a V8 in there. You can park next to a Porsche or a Very and people will always ignore them and ask you about your car. Look up Factory Five on the internet. Their biggest asset is the forums where fellow builders get together to offer advice.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Tifford

Item # 90154 from the harbor freight site. It has the 12" tires which are better for highway. The bed is 4 x 8 so just get a sheet of plywood and bolt it down for the bed. It seems easy to me.