Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
Tgawe

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris
2013 Toyota Yaris headlight problem

I'm having a problem with my front headlights and was hoping someone may have an idea of where to begin to look.

On the front headlights there are little yellow lights that flash when locking/unlocking the car. With the headlights turned on only one of these lights turn on (the passenger side) and the other remains off. The light is functional though as locking/unlocking the car lights up that same exact light correctly on both sides correctly.

Does anyone have any idea of where I should begin to look for solving this problem or maybe even the solution to it?

The car is a 2013 Toyota Yaris LE edition if it helps.

Last edited by Tgawe; 11-05-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Tgawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Does your car have factory installed or aftermarket keyless entry?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Tgawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Does your car have factory installed or aftermarket keyless entry?
I'm afraid I don't know offhand. I believe it was factory installed but I bought my car from a dealership pre-owned. Is there an easy way to check?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgawe View Post
I'm afraid I don't know offhand. I believe it was factory installed but I bought my car from a dealership pre-owned. Is there an easy way to check?
Yes. Is the The keyfob remote a real Toyota one (or is it a key integrated with the remote). If so, it is OEM, if not it is aftermarket.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Tgawe

Quote:
Yes. Is the The keyfob remote a real Toyota one (or is it a key integrated with the remote). If so, it is OEM, if not it is aftermarket.
It is a real Toyota key with the wireless keyfob integrated with the key itself.

Like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FVnmdsb0L.jpg
Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I think he is talking about the parking lights. Yellow that doubles as a flasher/signal...
Old 11-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Tgawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I think he is talking about the parking lights. Yellow that doubles as a flasher/signal...
It's the small yellow/orange light closer to the center of the hood. I'll try to grab a picture to show specifically which one I'm talking about.

EDIT: http://postimg.org/image/6ciueq8sj/

In regards to the keyfob it is a integrated keyfob on a real Toyota key. I responded to this earlier but for some reason it didn't show. I think because I had initially included a link to show what it looked like.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Tgawe

3rd and last attempt at a reply without waiting it out. It seems my previous replies were being removed/delayed due to having a picture in them of what I was referring to.

The key I have is a genuine Toyota key with a built-in key fob on it so I'd assume it is an OEM wireless entry.

The light is the small yellow/orange bulb nearer to the center of the hood.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
3rd and last attempt at a reply without waiting it out. It seems my previous replies were being removed/delayed due to having a picture in them of what I was referring to.

The key I have is a genuine Toyota key with a built-in key fob on it so I'd assume it is an OEM wireless entry.

The light is the small yellow/orange bulb nearer to the center of the hood.
OK. Definitely an odd issue, as the two sides are commoned together where nothing can drive them separately. I would check the connectors that plug into the bulbs.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
OK. Definitely an odd issue, as the two sides are commoned together where nothing can drive them separately. I would check the connectors that plug into the bulbs.
Doesn't it use 7443 bulbs? with dual filament
Old 11-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Doesn't it use 7443 bulbs? with dual filament
The parking light and turn signal are in a dual filament bulb, but the parking lights are commoned together. so if the door lock flashes the turn signals, rather than the parking lights, the problem could be a bulb with one of two filaments gone. If that was the case, the turn signal would not work on that side.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Tgawe

Upon looking into it more it seems the light also lights up fine while using my left blinker. The only times the driver-side small orange/yellowish light doesn't light up is with turning the parking lights and headlights on.

Also worth noting pressing unlock/using the blinker with the parking lights or headlights turned on does make it light up during it.

Unfortunately the weather here isn't great at the moment so I won't have time to look into it more quite yet but this issue definitely has me puzzled.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Upon looking into it more it seems the light also lights up fine while using my left blinker. The only times the driver-side small orange/yellowish light doesn't light up is with turning the parking lights and headlights on.

Also worth noting pressing unlock/using the blinker with the parking lights or headlights turned on does make it light up during it.

Unfortunately the weather here isn't great at the moment so I won't have time to look into it more quite yet but this issue definitely has me puzzled.
That does sound like one of the two filaments is gone in that bulb, so replacing the bulb should fix the issue.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Tgawe

Quote:
That does sound like one of the two filaments is gone in that bulb, so replacing the bulb should fix the issue.
In regards to your earlier post you mentioned that the turn signal likely wouldn't work if this was the case. Still think it could just be the bulb?

Regardless it doesn't hurt to grab an extra set of bulbs so I'll get some when I get the time this weekend and replace it and see if it solves the issue.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
In regards to your earlier post you mentioned that the turn signal likely wouldn't work if this was the case. Still think it could just be the bulb?

Regardless it doesn't hurt to grab an extra set of bulbs so I'll get some when I get the time this weekend and replace it and see if it solves the issue.
If it was a bulb with a single filament that would be the case or, if what gets flashed is specifically the turn signal filament, rather than the parking light filament.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
Tgawe

I went out and bought 7444NA bulbs to replace the current driver-side bulb today as that's what the one already in there was and after replacing the the driver-side one it is now working perfect.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.