Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
Personal rant, (not directed at O.P)

If you can't see at night without highbeams you shouldn't be driving at night.

If you drive with highbeams on with other cars on the road, you need to stop. High beams are not for all the time driving, and shouldn't be used as such.

The lazy people who think its ok to use highbeams once the regular lights burn out instead of spending 4 or 5 bucks to change them are completely inconsiderate and shouldn't be allowed to drive until they learn respect and how to change the bulbs.

Keep your lights clean and you shouldn't have issues.

/personal rant
I know it wasn't directed at me, but I do feel I have to reply somehow. If it's dark out (after sunset that is), and even if there are streetlights on the street, as long as there isn't another car coming towards me, I WILL have my high beams on! I just like being able to see as far as possible under any condition, and that means high beams. Comes in handy for detecting deer or other animals on the side of the road that may jump out at you, or kids, or any number of other things that you can't see in the dark.

I put it this way: can you see farther on a sunny day or at night with the low beams on? Of course on a sunny day. So, light is GOOD. MORE light is better, as long as you're not blinding other drivers (either oncoming cars or the car in front of you.... people forget that high beams in your rearview are realllllllly annoying).

Also wholeheartedly agree with your statement about people who won't install a new bulb and continue to use the high beams everywhere, blinding other drivers. Sheeesh, buy a new bulb already!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #20
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
Personal rant, (not directed at O.P)

If you can't see at night without highbeams you shouldn't be driving at night.

If you drive with highbeams on with other cars on the road, you need to stop. High beams are not for all the time driving, and shouldn't be used as such.

The lazy people who think its ok to use highbeams once the regular lights burn out instead of spending 4 or 5 bucks to change them are completely inconsiderate and shouldn't be allowed to drive until they learn respect and how to change the bulbs.

Keep your lights clean and you shouldn't have issues.

/personal rant
You haven't driven anywhere with large animals I take it. I drive with my high beams on when ever its safe to do so. With the large deer and moose population and the rural roads/highways I commute on I'd be crushed by now if I didn't use them.
One thing I will rant about though, is the abundant use of HID bulbs in housings designed for halogens around here. Its straight up dangerous.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantninja View Post
large deer and moose population
I drove from Edmonton to Jasper, and then to Saskatoon going back through Edmonton. The population you mention (plus add some sort of 'goat' that can graze on a very steep incline, and others) visible from the road between Edmonton and Jasper was astounding....and probably small potatoes compared to way up your way.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Seeing them doesn't matter, often-times.

About three years ago, coming home late after a meeting far away...I was on a secondary road. And out comes a deer...I was doing about fifty and saw him immediately.

Road was open so I swerved left. He also veered; he was running at a steep angle to me. And he'd have been all right except he stopped and turned his head to look. I took his head off at 25 mph.

It was a light enough hit that the airbags didn't go off. Hell, it didn't even slow me down much; just a loud THUNK. There was no light and little shoulder and I didn't have any tools to put the deer out of his misery, if that was called for, so I kept going until I got to a lit crossroads.

The fender was driven back about three inches and crumpled; jammed into the door. The door was damaged with the black plastic low at the base of the window, forward, busted off. The headlight was broken off its mountings and hanging by wires. And the bumper fascia was bloodied and torn.

Twenty-five miles an hour. And I saw the bugger and couldn't do anything.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Seeing them doesn't matter, often-times.

About three years ago, coming home late after a meeting far away...I was on a secondary road. And out comes a deer...I was doing about fifty and saw him immediately.

Road was open so I swerved left. He also veered; he was running at a steep angle to me. And he'd have been all right except he stopped and turned his head to look. I took his head off at 25 mph.

It was a light enough hit that the airbags didn't go off. Hell, it didn't even slow me down much; just a loud THUNK. There was no light and little shoulder and I didn't have any tools to put the deer out of his misery, if that was called for, so I kept going until I got to a lit crossroads.

The fender was driven back about three inches and crumpled; jammed into the door. The door was damaged with the black plastic low at the base of the window, forward, busted off. The headlight was broken off its mountings and hanging by wires. And the bumper fascia was bloodied and torn.

Twenty-five miles an hour. And I saw the bugger and couldn't do anything.
Yep. Many years ago my grandparent's next door neighbor hit a large buck on the way home one night. The road to their neighborhood is winding and has a golf course on both sides. The buck darted across the road and he had no hope of avoiding it. He was driving one of those old Pontiac Bonneville station wagons...the biggest one ever made. That accident rendered the station wagon a 'total'.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #24
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Drives: '06 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ot_tO View Post

You could install retrofit headlights. With one bulb for low beam and one bulb for high beam.
Then you have the low beam on if high beam on (push and pull the stalk).
Hi Ot_tO,

I am interested in this set up for my lights.

Would you be kind enough to share what I would need to duo for wiring to get this result?

I do have a wiring harness running the headlights, separate low beam and high beam but the low beam cuts off when the high beam is selected.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

DeeBee
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #25
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The Yaris is already setup so when you pull the stalk, both hi and low beam are on, but if you push it, then only the highs are on.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #26
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Drives: '06 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The Yaris is already setup so when you pull the stalk, both hi and low beam are on, but if you push it, then only the highs are on.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
When my hi beams come on the low beams turn off. Both in pull back for pass and push for high positions

DeeBee
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #27
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
Here a video that I found, the guy build a relays to stay on the low beam.

https://youtu.be/zxJbmIKp2KM

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote