Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Stone chips & rust spots

Hey guys - I was just cleaning my wind shield and noticed there are a couple of small stone chips right where the top of the window meets the roof of the car. Both are pretty small, but they are chipped right to the metal and I can see small dots of rust forming.

Guess they must have happened this winter sometime ... question however. How would you go about getting rid of the rust, and sealing them back up so the rust doesn't spread?

I was thinking of bringing it to the body shop but since the chips are so small I thought maybe there was a way I can do it myself ...

Thanks!!
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
You could use one of those tiny cone shaped dremel sanding bits to manually (as in use your hand to turn it, not the dremel) sand the rust out of the dot. Prime/paint over it with touch up paint.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You might try Naval Jelley. Dab a small amount with a q-tip on the spot and then with an artist brush touch it with your choice of color. Be sure to follow the instructions with the jelley. If I remember right it is water dilluted so wipe off with damp rag, dry with hair dryer and go from there. Naval Jelley should be found at Lowes or the Depot.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I had a few chips on an 88 Toyota Truck in the same spot left unfixed. The result was that the paint eventually bubbled and rust occured.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I went to the auto body repair section in CTC and picked up a fibreglass pen. Gently rub the chipped area, and the rust comes right out. Works great, and you don't risk damaging the paint around the chip or over-grinding the exposed metal.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
So I'm at the dealership and the body shop guy told me to seal the spots with nail polish and when it gets warmer, use the paint pen. He said avoid sanding because it would just make the spots bigger - he also said somethin that makes sense, which is the fact that rust cannot happen overnight, and that the spots are most likely the first stage of oxidization, so if you seal them it will prevent full on rust.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote