Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #37
ScubaSteve
Traded up!

Drives: 10 Black Sand 5-Dr RS
So this thread got me wondering if my 07 Yaris had a cabin filter so I just went out and checked. Sure enough there was one.
ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #38
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I probably ought to look, too...
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #39
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
How many people would have guessed it did not already have one in it from the factory-what a goof on Toyotas part. I convinced the sales dept. the car was not properly Pre-delivery inspected and they missed it so I got a freeby. Wow, they want $32 for one now-crazy! I go to PepBoys and buy almost the same thing for $11.99 every 10K miles.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #40
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I'd never heard of a car having a cabin air filter before running across it on this board. Still seems really strange to me!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #41
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I'd never heard of a car having a cabin air filter before running across it on this board. Still seems really strange to me!
They have been used in Toyota, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, VW, Dodge, Pontiac, Saturn, and Chevy since around 1997.
A lot of commercial vehicles have been using them for years, even before 97. You have probably owned a vehicle or several over the past 12 years that had one or had a slot for one but you just didn't know it.

Last edited by b_hickman11; 07-10-2009 at 11:50 PM.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #42
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
How many people would have guessed it did not already have one in it from the factory-what a goof on Toyotas part. I convinced the sales dept. the car was not properly Pre-delivery inspected and they missed it so I got a freeby. Wow, they want $32 for one now-crazy! I go to PepBoys and buy almost the same thing for $11.99 every 10K miles.
All Toyota's shipped to the US will not have a cabin air filter already installed.
A few select dealers will install them when they roll of off the truck but they usually do this to make even more money from the sale. If you got your Toyota in Canada then yours should have came with one in it.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #43
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
They have been used in Toyota, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, VW, Dodge, Pontiac, Saturn, and Chevy since around 1997.
A lot of commercial vehicles have been using them for years, even before 97. You have probably owned a vehicle or several over the past 12 years that had one or had a slot for one but you just didn't know it.
Might be why some of the ACs have gotten a bit musty.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #44
b_hickman11

Quote:

And thats why the US Toyota do not come with one already installed because they know that there are n00bs out there that don't know how to maintain a modern day car.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #45
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
I just had a thought. Yes, I know, most of my thoughts are odd, but this is a legit thought.

I was wondering why all this cars don't come with the cabin air filter. Now, could it be possible that maybe the fact that they are being shipped across the Pacific have any affect? You know, months of salt water air going into our cars would degrade the filter and have a negative affect?

Just trying to find a reason why they don't do this.

BTW, I purchased a Wix cabin air filter before realize about the DIY. By the time I need a new one, I am definitely trying the DIY instead.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #46
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Maybe Toyota is following the line of "Ya can't teach an old dog new tricks." Like, some people can't wrap their heads around the idea of a cabin filter because the 1949 DeSoto they grew up with didn't have one.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #47
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Honestly, the most probable reason is cost for not including one. I did have a musty smell coming from my A/C when I didn't have the filter. Solved when I put a new filter back in. I don't go cheap on those, I get the highest quality, allergen reducing ones. Hell, for 12 or 13 bucks you get 6 of em anyway.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #48
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Hee, hee, I got called a "noob." That's like getting carded.

I still think it's weird. I'm sitting outside right now, breathing unfiltered air.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #49
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Hey Astroman,
You into rock climbing, by chance? Living in Wenatchee, you've got the prime climbing around Leavenworth. I was totally obsessed with it for about five or six years until tendonitis in the elbows got the best of me.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #50
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Honestly, the most probable reason is cost for not including one. I did have a musty smell coming from my A/C when I didn't have the filter. Solved when I put a new filter back in. I don't go cheap on those, I get the highest quality, allergen reducing ones. Hell, for 12 or 13 bucks you get 6 of em anyway.
smell has nothing to do with cabin air filter being in or not. TOYOTA's fix for the smell is to replace the evaporator.TSB has been out for a few months now and its a night/day difference was complete.my weak a/c coldness was also fixed when they recharged the system......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #51
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Got a link on that TSB rockland? Would love to get it taken care of. Haven't noticed it since the filter was installed. I'm well past my 36k warranty. TSBs are only covered under warranty, after that its out of pocket right?

I used to do some rock climbing (minor stuff) when I was a kid. My Dad's friend loved to climb in Leavenworth. I grew up there.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #52
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
I just had a thought. Yes, I know, most of my thoughts are odd, but this is a legit thought.

I was wondering why all this cars don't come with the cabin air filter. Now, could it be possible that maybe the fact that they are being shipped across the Pacific have any affect? You know, months of salt water air going into our cars would degrade the filter and have a negative affect?

Just trying to find a reason why they don't do this.

BTW, I purchased a Wix cabin air filter before realize about the DIY. By the time I need a new one, I am definitely trying the DIY instead.
Im pretty sure it doesnt take months to get across the pacific!
20 mph=480 miles per day and the pacific is only a five thousand miles across=10 days.
Sorry but i thought that wuz funny.
Just checked mine=no filter. Owners maunual says "Cabin filter" (if installed)in the maintenance section.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #53
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Im pretty sure it doesnt take months to get across the pacific!
20 mph=480 miles per day and the pacific is only a five thousand miles across=10 days.
Sorry but i thought that wuz funny.
Just checked mine=no filter. Owners maunual says "Cabin filter" (if installed)in the maintenance section.
Oh shit! Never mind....there goes that theory.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #54
serious

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
All Toyota's shipped to the US will not have a cabin air filter already installed.
A few select dealers will install them when they roll of off the truck but they usually do this to make even more money from the sale. If you got your Toyota in Canada then yours should have came with one in it.
I live in Puerto Rico and bought my 2009 Yaris new about 4 months ago and it came with the cabin filter.

E.J.
2009 Yaris
serious is offline   Reply With Quote