Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
AbsolutelyRed

Drives: 2008 HB
2008 HB-119,000 miles, first mechanical failure

So I just hit 119,000--and 5 years 3 days--and have now had my first problem with this amazingly reliable car (besides someone backing into me and caving in the driver's door).

The driver's seat won't stay locked into any of the forward adjustments, it slides all the way to the very back. Also, it feels like the release lever doesn't drop down the way it used to, it seems like it stays in the up position, and when I try to push it down it's just kind of mushy-feeling, and like I said, doesn't drop down and lock-in like it used to.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know what it might be... there doesn't seem to be anything physically in the way that would prevent the lever from engaging; I looked underneath and everything seems ok but I'm not sure if I have done a thorough enough inspection.
AbsolutelyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I had the same problem when I had a tight-fitting seat cover around the handle on the side.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
After putting Katzkin leather in my car, I have to slam on the slider bar on the lower front of the seat to lock it in place . It appears the cable is restricted by the very tight fitting leather. Try tipping the seatback towards the rear to loosen up the pressure on the cable. It does help with mine...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyRed View Post
I looked underneath and everything seems ok but I'm not sure if I have done a thorough enough inspection.
My best suggestion is to take a good look at the configuration on one side and compare it to the other. The passenger side set-up underneath the seat is probably very similar to the drivers side.
Upon close inspection you will most likely find something amiss...you may have disconnected a guide wire or whatnot while vacuuming, or if there was someone sitting in the backseat behind you, may have dislodged something with their foot.
Take a close look at both sides and compare them, you will find something different I am sure. You will find what's wrong!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote