Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
DIY Pencil Holder-Storage Compartment Dividers

While this is the "PeeWee Herman" of mods I thought I'd share anyway. I'm planning on doing a few other mods posted on the site. Lots of good ideas!

I needed a pencil in my car to keep track of mileage and other things for work and it needs to be handy. Rather than have it sift down to the bottom of a big compartment as I'm driving, photo 1, I made a small divider in the large compartment at the bottom of the driver side door pocket.

Materials:
Black Foam Core Board(Walmart-Craft and Art stores sell it)
Black Duct Tape

Tools:
Tape Measure
Pencil
Box Cutter and Scissors

I decided I wanted about a 1 inch square hole to put the pencils in. I measured the opening where the divider would go. It was about 1.5 in. wide at that place in the pocket and 3.5 in. deep. I cut a piece of board larger than needed, I also felt the pocket and tried to match the curve of the pocket with the divider sides.

It took a second try to get the shape right but the material is so cheap a mistake is no problem. I test fit the shape by wedging it into the pocket and cutting it down where needed. I wanted it to fit tight on its own that way I wouldn't need to secure it another way. After done I covered it with Duck tape for some more rigidity, make it somewhat water resistant, and to help it look a bit better. In photo 2 you can see the divider on the left, the tools are there for scale

You can see it installed in the door in the 3rd photo. Best part is it is 100% undoable, just pull it out. No holes drilled or glue used to keep it in place. Just a tight fit wedged between the pocket walls keeps it there. Might plan on something for a CD holder or phone in some of the other pockets. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Before.jpg (136.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2-MakeingDivider.jpg (57.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Installed.jpg (128.9 KB, 54 views)
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Eduardo_mty

Good idea, thank you for share it
Eduardo_mty is offline   Reply With Quote