Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
BeBi
 
Drives: Toyota Yaris, 3 dr, 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: England
Posts: 3
People regularly flashing their lights at me?!

Hi, I have a Yaris. For months and months we have been getting people flashing their lights at us when they are travelling behind us. This has some times gone on for over 5 minutes until we can get to somewhere safe to stop and check. Each time we stop and look though, we can't see anything wrong?! It has happened both day and night, so I am struggling to see what is going wrong. We have just been outside again and checked, and every light seems to be coming on ok. The car has also had at least 2 services and an mot since we first noticed it happening, and the garage hasn't picked anything up either. Has anyone else experienced anything like this too???
BeBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,456
Do you drive slower than traffic flows? Also, have you tried having someone you know follow you to see what they see?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
BeBi
 
Drives: Toyota Yaris, 3 dr, 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: England
Posts: 3
Not particularly slow. It seems to happen on any road type - main road doing 70, or a minor road in a town or coming to a roundabout......Next option is to try and get someone we know to follow us.
BeBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
bronsin
 
bronsin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 4,028
Interesting. When you find out what it is be sure let us know!
__________________
Synthetic Oil: Its All In Your Head
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
nortonfb
 
Drives: 2007
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: motown
Posts: 288
Maybe something is visible when the car is loaded (has weight),
that's underneath?
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,866
If you just passed someone and they are flashing you, probably your headlights are too high?

I am not sure about being flashed in broad daylight.. it does seems strange. Please let us know what you find!
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
BeBi
 
Drives: Toyota Yaris, 3 dr, 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: England
Posts: 3
It happened again last night when my partner drove to Leicester. It's only from people travelling behind us - which used to get me paranoid that we were dragging something, always checked and nothing. The car was empty other than my partner and his bag. I've just called the Toyota garage we bought it from (and had it serviced/MOTd at all the time). They have no record of any issue that has been raised in general with Toyota. We are wondering now if it is a intermittent fault - the back lights all come on to start with but after driving for 1+ hours they either stop all together or flicker on and off. Next option is to find a friend/family member to follow us for long enough to try and figure it out! Will keep you posted.
BeBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBi View Post
It happened again last night when my partner drove to Leicester. It's only from people travelling behind us - which used to get me paranoid that we were dragging something, always checked and nothing. The car was empty other than my partner and his bag. I've just called the Toyota garage we bought it from (and had it serviced/MOTd at all the time). They have no record of any issue that has been raised in general with Toyota. We are wondering now if it is a intermittent fault - the back lights all come on to start with but after driving for 1+ hours they either stop all together or flicker on and off. Next option is to find a friend/family member to follow us for long enough to try and figure it out! Will keep you posted.
That still wouldn't explain the daytime honking though. Do you per chance have any stickers on your car (or perhaps a custom marker plate) that would induce the honking behavior?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!
 
CrankyOldMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,928
Are you in the wrong lane? It's not uncommon for people in my area to occupy the passing lane and fail to pass the vehicle on the right. While they are technically within their rights to drive at the speed limit in either lane, the rule is "keep right except to pass" on multi-lane roads. This induces lots of headlight flashing from me.

Does it only happen on dual carriageways, or is it on all road types?

Have you verified that the brake lights work correctly? I've seen vehicles that had the wrong relay type on their brake lights--i.e. the top light and brighter tail lights are on when driving and turn off when braking.

Are you resting your left foot on the brake pedal? Some brake pedals have very short travel before activating the switch.

CT - I don't see any reference to honking anywhere. Was there an edit? /shrug
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Are you in the wrong lane? It's not uncommon for people in my area to occupy the passing lane and fail to pass the vehicle on the right. While they are technically within their rights to drive at the speed limit in either lane, the rule is "keep right except to pass" on multi-lane roads. This induces lots of headlight flashing from me.

Does it only happen on dual carriageways, or is it on all road types?

Have you verified that the brake lights work correctly? I've seen vehicles that had the wrong relay type on their brake lights--i.e. the top light and brighter tail lights are on when driving and turn off when braking.

Are you resting your left foot on the brake pedal? Some brake pedals have very short travel before activating the switch.

CT - I don't see any reference to honking anywhere. Was there an edit? /shrug

Ah yes - I mean flashing, not honking.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
phaznet
 
phaznet's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YGK
Posts: 145
Gas cap? Brake Lights? Speed trap? Impatient driver?
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
bairjo
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 569
Check your wheel covers to see if they are wobbly. They may look like they are ready to fly off. Otherwise, I would say it is time for a road trip or two for you and an observing buddy following you.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
Kal-El
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,197
Weird. I only flash people for 2 reasons. Usually because their lights are off at night but also if someone is driving slow in the left lane of the highway.

What's annoying is 9 times out 10, when I flash a head on car because of their lights being off, the car continues on never putting their lights on. I thought this signal was common knowledge? You see a flash, you confirm your lights are on. Either people are oblivious to road rules, or oblivious to other drivers. Both are scary.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:02 AM   #14
jambo101
 
jambo101's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBi View Post
Not particularly slow. It seems to happen on any road type - main road doing 70, or a minor road in a town or coming to a roundabout......Next option is to try and get someone we know to follow us.
Just a guess but 70 kilometers an hour on a main road is probably somewhere around 40mph thats probably too slow,if an equivalentr speed is happening on minor roads you are probably doing 20-30mph,much too slow for most people and thus the flashing lights.
__________________
Have Yaris will travel..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
mr_miles
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Weird. I only flash people for 2 reasons. Usually because their lights are off at night but also if someone is driving slow in the left lane of the highway.

What's annoying is 9 times out 10, when I flash a head on car because of their lights being off, the car continues on never putting their lights on. I thought this signal was common knowledge? You see a flash, you confirm your lights are on. Either people are oblivious to road rules, or oblivious to other drivers. Both are scary.
Over here on the west coast flashing once is usually a sign for "your brights are on" and a few flashes are for not having your lights on at all :)

I've always wondered though....how can you NOT notice they aren't on at night?
__________________
~Now with more road noise and less functionality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
pjon
 
Drives: Yaris Icon+ 1.33 vvti
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: U.K.
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just a guess but 70 kilometers an hour on a main road is probably somewhere around 40mph thats probably too slow,if an equivalentr speed is happening on minor roads you are probably doing 20-30mph,much too slow for most people and thus the flashing lights.
That will be 70 miles per hour not kilometres per hour. The o.p.'s location is England.
We don't do "foreign" yet on our roads.
pjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Kal-El
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
I've always wondered though....how can you NOT notice they aren't on at night?
Seriously. Even if the lack of illumination in front of you isn't obvious, the dark gauges and controls in front of your face should let you know.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
jack black
 
jack black's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southeast USA
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Seriously. Even if the lack of illumination in front of you isn't obvious, the dark gauges and controls in front of your face should let you know.
In most modern cars gauges are brightly illuminated all times. They actually dim when you turn on headlights. Also, when driving in city, you have brightly lit street, and with DRL on, so there are fewer clues. My wife had problems with that. I had to install automatic lights for her. It wasn't yaris though.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED tail lights installed Cutie Pie #2 Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 10 08-20-2012 11:25 PM
Intermittent warning lights Sedanades DIY / Maintenance / Service 8 06-19-2012 11:36 AM
2001 Yaris flashing hazards when ignition off!!!?! 4odh4n DIY / Maintenance / Service 7 01-20-2012 06:51 AM
wire size for trailer lights Connoisseur_of_fine_cars DIY / Maintenance / Service 0 11-03-2011 08:09 PM
2007 Greenest Vehicles redglare45 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 14 02-20-2007 03:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.