Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
mmilhomme
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
Leaking and rusted-rotted exhaust- best approach to repair?

I have an 07' that has driven through many salted winters in New England.

I have two rusting issues:
  1. Exhaust manifold heatshield is rotted loose
  2. rear exhaust hanger that connects the muffler to the bumper area is rotted off
The manifold heat shield rattles like crazy. As a temporary fix, i caked some high heat JB weld to thicken the edge of the heat shield, so there is no distance between it and the framing it was previously bolted to- this allows no room to rattle. Is there another fix that doesn't require replacing the heat shield or should I bite the bullet and get it done right?

I also have an exhaust leak that I can hear, but don't smell in the cabin. I've searched for cracks or holes, but can't find anything. I saw a previous thread that discussed rotted gaskets as the culprit. I suspect this could be the problem, but I cannot seem to be able to determine if it is the gasket on the motor side of the catalytic converter or the joint near the muffler. Depending on where I am, it sounds like it could come from either end! Is there an easy way to determine where the leak is coming from?

Also, if it is the rear gasket, would it be better to replace the gasket and install a universal hanger to repair the rotted muffler hanger, or replace that whole section of exhaust?
mmilhomme is offline   Reply With Quote