Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Consider it homework.. though you're not even in my class???

A question, though, instead of wiring all the way to the front headlight for the parking light signal, could you not connect them to illumination wires in the cabin somewhere? For example, I have power windows, and on the driver's side, the AUTO text on the switch is illuminated whenever the headlights are on, and I was thinking to tap into that wire, and find a similar one on the passenger side. Whaddaya think?
etimago that might be your shortest wire route but I wouldn't want to risk blowing a fuse or taking out a switch light that would later need to be replaced. Also wouldnt want the mirror LEDs to blink when I was lowering my power window!

Im a simple man and I did what I thought was the easiest, most direct wiring (to the wire source I knew I needed). No pulling trim pieces either and routing wire in the cabin.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
Thanks for the write up. It will make it a little easier for us that got our mirror covers through the recent Thai group buy.

I can't really picture how you routed the wires though. Did you fish them through the boot with the rest of the wires from the door and then out through the firewall or what?
Sorry about that, I should have taken more detailed pics of the wire routing....

Violin I ran the 3 mirror wires (blue/white/black) from an interior access hole from the mirror mounting on the interior door panel, ran them up and under the top trim piece of the door arm rest, wrapped the wire around the corner of the door (I could have drilled an access hole but im lazy), and put the door panel back on to hold the wire. I then tucked the 3 wires under the rubber weatherstrip. I also put a couple of pieces of sticky black duct tape to hold the wires to the door to prevent pinching when opening and closing.

I connected my extension wire then to all 3 mirror wires. I ran these 3 extensions into the engine bay and side marker lamps on each side by tucking them under the big black triangular trim piece directly in front of the mirror (no need to remove it even). (If you pry it up a little from the bottom youll see the fender area and the side marker lamp).

I was able to reach my manly arm into the fender area from the front of the car to grab the extension wire and fish it to the side marker lamp and into the engine bay for connection to parking lamps and ground bolts.

Its surely NOT factory but it works....and if anyone opens my door to look at wires they are anal.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #21
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
That would be me.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #22
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
There is a rubber boot towards the lower half of the forward edge of the door. It's for the speaker wires / power wires etc etc. Could you run the wires through there into the cabin?

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #23
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite Man View Post
There is a rubber boot towards the lower half of the forward edge of the door. It's for the speaker wires / power wires etc etc. Could you run the wires through there into the cabin?

Chuck
Yes you could if you were anal.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #24
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
That would be me.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #25
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

LOLOLOL Violin. Remind me never to open my doors around you.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #26
gaffo

Drives: integra
I like your Cherubs ;-).
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #27
Edd

Drives: None
redyaris, your car looks awesome. You actually understand the concept of trim (red with chrome, not red with heaps more red). Keep up the great mods.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #28
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Why thanks Edd!!! Im one of the maybe 2 people who like chrome here.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I like your Cherubs ;-).
Heh heh, those are the 4 Seasons (Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall). My wife loves statuary....makes for a classy picture...something I can always use more of!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #30
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
ur fender repeater isnt working now??? since u transfered that to ur mirrors??
Old 04-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #31
admendoz

Drives: Yaris hatchback 2011
Amazing! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
This DIY is another easy one (my specialty)...should take no more than one hour tops!

This DIY is for replacing your Yaris liftback stock mirrors. This is a great alternative if you have considered installing power mirrors or mirrors with LED turn signal indicators/parking lamps onboard. This is also an alternative to stick-on and replacement mirror covers.

1. Remove your door panel. Refer to the following DIY for instructions on this step: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+panel+removal

2. The mirror is attached via 3 screws with nuts hidden behind three access holes.

3. Using a wrench with extension remove the 3 nuts from the mirror screws. Observe the base plate that holds the mirror on the car and placement of the 3 screws. Also note from the outside of the car the 3 holes the mirror uses for the screws.

***NOTE: Unless you have tiny fingers or are ultra careful you are guaranteed to lose at least a couple of these nuts in the door (Good news is if you do lose them they are easy to retrieve with a magnetic screwdriver and small needle nose pliers).

4. Remove the factory mirror. Sell on Ebay.

5. Install new mirror. I chose a chrome manual K6 style mirror with LED insert that illuminates in sync with the turn signals and parking lights. I
t came with 3 wires (black = ground/white = signal light/blue = parking light) The supplier had one available with a 3 hole base plate that fit the Yaris liftback perfectly. I threw away the 3 screws supplied and chose bolts instead with washers for a more secure install.

6. Reinstall the door panel wrapping the 3 LED wires under the rubber weather seal on the door to hold in place.

7. Run the 3 wires to appropriate locations (NOTE: you may need additional wire to complete this part). To access side marker turn signal light go thru the black trim piece in front of the mirror base).

7. Enjoy your new Yaris look with the new mirrors!!!!!!!
It's just amazing how such an old post can help anybody at anytime. I had an accident 2 weeks ago and I had my pilot side mirror damaged. I called the dealer in order to ask for the mirror price and installation cost. They were going to charge me about $215. Instead, I bought the mirror. I had no idea on how to perform the installation but thanks to this COMPLETE GUIDE I could do it myself.

Just one remark: In order to remove the window handle, you don't have to buy a tool. You can do it with a small piece of cloth. Between the door wall and the handle, there is a small "plastic ring". Insert the cloth between the handle and the ring and not between the ring and the door wall.

Thanks a lot!
admendoz is offline   Reply With Quote