Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
roachslayer

Drives: 2013 SE
Maintenance Light - Code P1604 "Startability"

My 2013 with 37k miles Yaris is complaining with P1604 "Startability Malfunction".

EDIT: title should just read "Code P1604 Startability", this is not a "maintenance" light issue. Sorry, can't seem to edit title.

This list of possible issues for code P1604 is not only daunting, but completely absurd:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/37...l#post11223665

32 different possible causes for P1604, each of which will take hours to diagnose. Gee, where do I start?

Come on Toyota. Make codes more specific to one or two things!!! You might as well programed in ONE code for the entire vehicle that says "something is wrong". Yeah, great, can we narrow this down a bit? Absurd. Frustrating.

Here is what I know:
  • I ran the fuel down to zero (literally 0 mile range reported on the meter).
  • I noticed the Maint. light (P1604) appeared after I filled up and got home (it probably appeared before filling up, and is HIGHLY likely related to my running the fuel empty)
  • Reseting the code/computer doesn't resolve. The code comes right back.
  • The engine exhibits NO discernible issues, gas mileage as I continue to drive is just fine, all systems and performance seem normal

So, uh, yeah, where do I begin with 32 possibilities and no human perceivable problems?

Last edited by roachslayer; 05-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
roachslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
First off, codes are largely universal and a P1604 is vague regardless of manufacturer. Don't diss on Toyota for not being specific enough.

From what I can glean from the net is there is a communication issue with the ECM. Probably gonna need a trip to the shop sadly.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
roachslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
First off, codes are largely universal and a P1604 is vague regardless of manufacturer. Don't diss on Toyota for not being specific enough.
Fair enough. Still room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
From what I can glean from the net is there is a communication issue with the ECM. Probably gonna need a trip to the shop sadly.
... the joy.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
While I'm not familiar with the tool, there may be enough underlying data which Toyota can see when they hook up Techstream to accurately pinpoint cause. Might not be the mechanic guessing game one would fear.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
well here's the thing about 32 items on the list, you DON'T HAVE all of these 32 items, like "glow plugs" or "EGR system" or "start/stop" or "target common rail pressure." does it start? if yes, then you don't need to worry about immoblizer, map, maf, starter, injectors, and other stuff that makes it run, cause it's running and those things throw faults of their own; i.e. MAF, TCV, ECT, Crank/cam position, etc. if it's the only code you had after fueling, i would guess it's a problem in the fuel system. maybe running it to low made one of the resistors in the fuel sending unit stop reading correctly. maybe some debris got into the strainer and the fuel pump duty cycle is running high. if it was an EVAP issue, you would get more faults for it. interesting. i'm gonna tink on this one...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
roachslayer

Excellent point about weeding out 32 possibilities.

Given that the vehicle starts and runs fine, and given my obvious "ran out of gas" issue, I'm thinking dirty gas in the fuel filter or injector - that isn't causing a perceivable degradation.