Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
DonM

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan, 5 speed
10 Cheapest Cars to Own, 2013

Yaris made #4 on the list (naturally) .

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/c...013/index.html
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
the versa got #1....has way more room than yaris too.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I'd like to see a 10 or 15 year maintenance cost, as Toyota would smoke them all(IMO).
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Problem with that is most folks, at least that the article is addressed to, don't keep vehicles much past 3-5 years.

I am gearing my Yaris to run until I have to peddle it like the Flintstones!
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I think they should take insurance out of the equation in this ranking. Too many variables -- your zip code, your marital status, your 'score' (a max 1,000 point score that includes credit and other things -- not a credit score -- I forget the acronym affixed to it -- my agent showed it to me a couple of years ago), how much coverage you decide to get (re paid off or not, level of your personal assets, how much the car is still worth, etc.), driving record, etc.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I think they should take insurance out of the equation in this ranking. Too many variables -- your zip code, your marital status, your 'score' (a max 1,000 point score that includes credit and other things -- not a credit score -- I forget the acronym affixed to it -- my agent showed it to me a couple of years ago), how much coverage you decide to get (re paid off or not, level of your personal assets, how much the car is still worth, etc.), driving record, etc.

+ 1000000000000000000000000000000000000

universally stupid

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
the versa got #1....has way more room than yaris too.
But have you ever sat in a Versa? Ugh.

I admit, my knowledge of Versa vs, Yaris is from the 2010 model year but the Versa was sooooooo cheaply constructed I thought it was a Yugo in disguise...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post

I admit, my knowledge of Versa vs, Yaris is from the 2010 model year but the Versa was sooooooo cheaply constructed I thought it was a Yugo in disguise...
I've always felt Nissan had a cheap feel to them. Even my buddies 370Z feels very cheap.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
Problem with that is most folks, at least that the article is addressed to, don't keep vehicles much past 3-5 years.

I am gearing my Yaris to run until I have to peddle it like the Flintstones!
I'm one of these funny folks that drives cars until there soooo beat, it would cost more to fix than but another. At that point I but another.

I'm keeping the Yaris until it's wrecked. I find the design of the yaris to be Genius in more ways than one.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post

i sat in one today(2013 versa S - very base model) and wasn't too offended! we were getting the serpentine belt replaced on the yaris and the nissan dealership was next door so decided to take a look. i know it's the cheapest car to buy right now in the u.s. and was impressed by the amount of room on the inside. yes, it's a VERY basic interior with little to no frills. yes, there's no power windows/locks and the rear seat doesn't even fold down for access to the trunk and manual is the only way to go(on the S model anyways). for the price i think i could learn to live without some of those options(and i prefer a stick anyways).

the seats weren't bad at all(this is coming, however, from a yaris owner which has notoriously bad front seats- at least that's what my back tells me).

the thing that struck me the most was the asking price for cars today! every other car i see in the similar category is another 3-4K more at least(yaris included) and i'm not sure it's worth it?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
+ 1000000000000000000000000000000000000

universally stupid
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i sat in one today(2013 versa S - very base model) and wasn't too offended! we were getting the serpentine belt replaced on the yaris and the nissan dealership was next door so decided to take a look. i know it's the cheapest car to buy right now in the u.s. and was impressed by the amount of room on the inside. yes, it's a VERY basic interior with little to no frills. yes, there's no power windows/locks and the rear seat doesn't even fold down for access to the trunk and manual is the only way to go(on the S model anyways). for the price i think i could learn to live without some of those options(and i prefer a stick anyways).

the seats weren't bad at all(this is coming, however, from a yaris owner which has notoriously bad front seats- at least that's what my back tells me).

the thing that struck me the most was the asking price for cars today! every other car i see in the similar category is another 3-4K more at least(yaris included) and i'm not sure it's worth it?
If you don't drive very many miles, or trade your car in regularly but still want the lowest possible cost, I agree. If you drive a fair number of miles, or like driving, or want the peace of mind of rock solid reliability (or possibly all three), then I don't agree. I think the average Yaris driver probably gets better than EPA numbers, and quite a bit better MPG than the average Versa driver. I think the Yaris = a much nicer driving experience, and better peace of mind (fewer repairs). More than worth the added cost (and I love 'saving a buck' )
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
I've always felt Nissan had a cheap feel to them. Even my buddies 370Z feels very cheap.
I agree. Toyota is the only brand that feels rock solid after 5 years. Honda and Nissan are both good, but the Toy is a clear cut better choice.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
DonM

Would you buy a car made in China?.......that's what you're getting when you buy a Versa
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Would you buy a car made in China?.......that's what you're getting when you buy a Versa
I wouldn't buy one, but even though it was originally unveiled in China and Guangzhou is one of the manufacturing sites, it is a global platform. I think it is better than a car from a Chinese manufacturer that is modified to comply with minimum standards in other countries.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
i thought it was manufactured in mexico(that's what the window sticker said anyways according to my wife)?

i don't have a problem with a car made in mexico as many manufacturers are switching production to there and like nookandcrany said 'it's not like they took a chinese car and modified it to meet the u.s. minimum safety requirement - global car'.

i used to be a 'toyota fanboy' myself, but with the issues we've had with our yaris(ie. serpentine belt, water pump 'seeping', steering column airbag light, intermittent cel for 'advanced cam timing', etc.) i think the reputation of 'perfect car' might be exaggerated.

by no ways am i saying the versa would be a better car than the yaris. i just remember when i bought my yaris for $12K brand-new. this was just a little over 4 years ago and now i can't find one on the lot for less than $16K! yeah, it was bone-stock, but i don't need all those extras. prices of cars just keep creeping up and i'm beginning to feel like it's a lot of money to pay for transportation.

i guess my problem is that i could buy a brand-new versa for the same as a 2-3 year old yaris. unfortunately, the resale on the yaris(and other similar cars) is so high right now. with my down-payment i could have the versa paid off before the warranty expires! opinions are welcome!

for the record: the current yaris we have is paid off. we're going to drive it into the ground. looking to get a second car this summer after being a one-car family for some time. REFUSE to spend more than $12K! needs 4 doors and would like to not have any expensive problems until done making payments(or EVER for that matter, but i'm realistic).

Last edited by toad; 03-14-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: for the record
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
DonM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i thought it was manufactured in mexico(that's what the window sticker said anyways according to my wife)?
Whoops, you are correct - there is a Versa plant in Mexico but I am pretty sure that I had read somewhere that they were also made in China.

Last edited by DonM; 03-15-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Nissan is not my personal favorite but the new Versa Note does look like they are trying really hard to improve their bottom feeder. I am impressed with Kia - three models on the list. Very cool for a company I thought produced nothing worthwhile.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote