Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
My NGJ10 or 2012 iQ

Just a few pictures here of my iQ about a year into the process of owning it. Most everything I've put onto it or into it has been left over parts from one of my two modified Ep3s that I parted out and sold towards the end of their lives.

Modifications so far....

-Post 2.0" MAF airbox tubing changed to 3.0"
-K&N Drop in filter
-1ZZ throttle body
-Velocity stack, forward facing behind grill in front of airbox
-DC Sports catback
-35th Anniversary Premium Civic Type R Recaros
-Yaris Whiteline rear sway bar
-Tein H-Tech springs (iQ specific)
-CamCon c-101 VVT-I controller
-Whiteline lateral locks
-21mm Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings
-15x7 Volk TE37 et32 195/45/15 Toyo T1R
-Ingalls front camber bolts (+1.75/-1.75)
-.5 rear camber plates
-Webasto Moonroof
-TRD fog lights
-RC style antenna
-Katskin rear leather interior (fronts as well, but not installed as I have Recaros)
-UltraGauge 2.0
-Netz badge front from Vitz and rear from Wish
-Razo 300mm broadway mirror
-Razo Formula foot rest and pedals
-Razo Formula shift knob
-Alcantara shift boot
-GRM (GrassRoots Motorsports) decals/stickers
-Maneki-neko sticker
-Japanese ECO stickers
Attached Images

Last edited by MugenRep; 03-31-2017 at 03:43 PM.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Your car looks amazing! TE37s look great, and I'm super jealous with those Recaros.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
Your car looks amazing! TE37s look great, and I'm super jealous with those Recaros.
+1

The best looking iQ I've seen

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
looks slow, but looks good doing it
Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
looks slow, but looks good doing it
Lol. It is slow for a car, but for an iQ, I'd bet it's one of the quickest (or quickest) non-swapped or boosted iQs in North America. Stock they're as fast as a Manual Yaris for same year with a manual transmission.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
ern-diz

Technically, it's faster by those numbers.

Tried looking up the '07 on that site, but doesn't look like the have info on it. Can get numbers from other sites, but would have been interesting to see theirs, for consistency purposes.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Technically, it's faster by those numbers.

Tried looking up the '07 on that site, but doesn't look like the have info on it. Can get numbers from other sites, but would have been interesting to see theirs, for consistency purposes.
2007 Toyota Yaris

Episode 2535

"Transmission choices are a standard 5-speed manual or our test car’s optional 4-speed automatic.
Of course with only 106 horses, it’s no surprise that the Yaris manages 0-60 in 9.5 seconds, and finishes the quarter mile in a leisurely 17.4 seconds at 80 miles-per-hour."

The earlier gen definitely is faster with a 5 speed than the newer heavier 2012+. I just wanted to compare the same magazines as it would be the most applicable. The .1 secs and 1mph could be any changes to the drivers weight, tires, barometric pressure, temperature at the track that day, etc.

I was simply showing the 2012 iQ and 2012 Yaris aren't that far apart OEM, statistic-wise. We're both slow, but have a little potential in either application to make them enjoyable. Both are great A & B segment cars and both have limiting factors. No "diss" to either chassis.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

"looks slow" is just a thing i say

i like the iQ, but when i drove one, i found it droney, slow and the interior was a lot cheaper looking than i thought it was

but i think its a cool car
Old 03-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
No power, no problem.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
MugenRep

Quote:
"looks slow" is just a thing i say

i like the iQ, but when i drove one, i found it droney, slow and the interior was a lot cheaper looking than i thought it was

but i think its a cool car

The biggest problem I find with the iQ is it's as close as possible to the RHD models as the DOT would allow. All the controls other than the pedals, steering wheel, FRONT wipers and gauges are still in place for the Japanese/RHD worl (worthless rear wiper, 3" tall fuel tank and batter included) so the handling is odd having all the weight on the LH side. The car actually corners faster on left hand turns, than it does on right hand turns which was proven by Car and driver having a (I think) .8 skidpad difference on the stock 175/60/16 ECO tires from left to right skidpad tests and also not getting a manual transmission although I think the CVT may be the quicker of the two in the short run for breathing bolt-ons (long run the CVT will burn out).

It is VERY droney, especially with this aftermarket exhaust and I'm well past the "kid days" or "keeping up with the kids" of having any appreciation for a droney exhaust, especially when combined with a CVT transmission.

Best thing I've done is the breathing mods to give the little Dual VVT-I 1.33 air (I don't think exhaust did much) and reducing as much unsprung weight as possible in the form of the 16 pound 195/45/15 Toyo T1R, the 9 pound 15x7 TE37s (25.1lbs per tire/rim combo) and going from a factory 24.0" diameter tires (175/50/16) to a 22.8" diameter tire effectively increased the maximum possible final drive of the CVT from 5.4 to 6.0. It definitely gave it more pick up, but I'd still call it "slow" too. Trying a header and/or supercharger would be the next LONG step as nothing is available on the market and I've tried over 10 different exhaust manifold gaskets to see if any aftermarket headers are close and only 2 have 2 out of four matching primaries (all the rest including the 1NZ and others) were way off.

My goal is to beat a stock 2002-2005 Ep3, and hopefully beat a full (non-cammed)2002-2005 Ep3 with Honda Reflash (they're around 91-95mph in the traps). Mostly though I want to concentrate on suspension as funds and research bring through leads. So far I found rear Konis that will fit and a Japanese suspension company that makes replacement front springs to go with my choice of rear springs (albeit $300 for (2) springs).

Last edited by MugenRep; 03-31-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #11
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
No power, no problem.
I 100% agree! I'd rather learn to be a fast driver, rather than own a quick/fast car (been there, done that).

Last edited by MugenRep; 03-31-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
2007 Toyota Yaris

Episode 2535

"Transmission choices are a standard 5-speed manual or our test car’s optional 4-speed automatic.
Of course with only 106 horses, it’s no surprise that the Yaris manages 0-60 in 9.5 seconds, and finishes the quarter mile in a leisurely 17.4 seconds at 80 miles-per-hour."

The earlier gen definitely is faster with a 5 speed than the newer heavier 2012+. I just wanted to compare the same magazines as it would be the most applicable. The .1 secs and 1mph could be any changes to the drivers weight, tires, barometric pressure, temperature at the track that day, etc.

I was simply showing the 2012 iQ and 2012 Yaris aren't that far apart OEM, statistic-wise. We're both slow, but have a little potential in either application to make them enjoyable. Both are great A & B segment cars and both have limiting factors. No "diss" to either chassis.
I agree, there's nothing in it besides the driver having a big lunch that day, which is why I included the "technically" caveat. Interesting nonetheless.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I agree, there's nothing in it besides the driver having a big lunch that day, which is why I included the "technically" caveat. Interesting nonetheless.
I apologize! I didn't mean to nit-pick or cause any issues. I really like the current gen Yaris as well as the older gen 5 door with a 5-speed (more actually) and if we could, the Echo hatch from Canada would be an awesome DD/Project.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
I apologize! I didn't mean to nit-pick or cause any issues. I really like the current gen Yaris as well as the older gen 5 door with a 5-speed (more actually) and if we could, the Echo hatch from Canada would be an awesome DD/Project.
No apologies needed! I find it all very interesting.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

i always say: add lightness
Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #16
ern-diz

Quote: