Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Stiff clutch when cold

This winter here in Ohio has been colder than normal. I have noticed when the temperature drops below 0F, the clutch is much more difficult to disengage. And when engaging it (letting off the pedal) it is a bit sluggish. When driving around town, the issue seems to go away. But when driving on the highway, the clutch stiffens up again.

My guess is the fluid that operates the clutch cylinder becomes more viscous when cold. Or is there another cause? Any solution? A different kind of fluid maybe???? It is not a big deal, just a bit annoying.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I don't think there is a solution for this. It happened to mine since new.. the clutch cylinder uses the brake fluid, i don't think you can do anything about it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
it is because the brake fluid thats used in the system becomes more viscous like you said. It gets better while driving at slow speeds around town because it is getting warmed up by the engine and warm air from the rad. At Highway speed it cools off and becomes stiff again. flushing the system with fresh fluid might help or maybe use a compatable synthetic brake fluid. my yaris and my pickup do the same thing.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Use synthetic gear oil and u wont have any problems....or just let the car warm up a bit.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Dont mess with ur brake fluids ...gear oil only and good to go.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
did you read any part of this thread?
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantninja View Post
did you read any part of this thread?
like i said above ...sorry with shifting as for clutch just let car warm up..but trust me syn in gear box makes all the difference in cold weather.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Not brake fluid, tranny fluid is cold. Happens to most cars. A switch to a good synthetic fluid can help. I like redline or amsoil
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Not brake fluid, tranny fluid is cold. Happens to most cars. A switch to a good synthetic fluid can help. I like redline or amsoil
I'm using redline.. clutch is still stiff when very cold outside.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
ZAKU

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS
It is -22 here and I am having the exact same issues. 99% sure the issue is the clutch slave cylinder and the fluid inside it getting too cold.

I've noticed it especially when driving on the highway, the pedal will become rock hard. Meanwhile it will go from stiff to soft and back again when I'm running errands in the city and it has a chance to sit and warm up.

Check this out: http://www.dixcel.co.jp/en/subconten...erature02.html

DOT3 Viscosity (-40℃) under 1500cst
Dot 5.1 Viscosity (-40℃) under 900cst

I've ordered some DOT 5.1 fluid but it is taking FOREVER to get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Use synthetic gear oil and u wont have any problems....or just let the car warm up a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
I'm running Amsoil as well and have the exact same issue. Think about it, how would transmission fluid affect the engagement of the clutch?
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKU View Post
It is -22 here and I am having the exact same issues. 99% sure the issue is the clutch slave cylinder and the fluid inside it getting too cold.

I've noticed it especially when driving on the highway, the pedal will become rock hard. Meanwhile it will go from stiff to soft and back again when I'm running errands in the city and it has a chance to sit and warm up.

Check this out: http://www.dixcel.co.jp/en/subconten...erature02.html

DOT3 Viscosity (-40℃) under 1500cst
Dot 5.1 Viscosity (-40℃) under 900cst

I've ordered some DOT 5.1 fluid but it is taking FOREVER to get here.

I'm running Amsoil as well and have the exact same issue. Think about it, how would transmission fluid affect the engagement of the clutch?

I am running Redline MT90 in the gear box. Cold weather gear engagement and disengagement seems better. I don't have to fight to get it into reverse.

But as far as the clutch engaging and not engaging, I was pretty sure it was a different issue. It works fine in town, but on the highway, not enough heat builds up and it is stiff as a board.

Thanks for the link. I will probably switch to the cold temp stuff when the weather improves (no heated garage to work in).
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote